Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-21-2011, 10:50 PM

Default Has anyone else witnessed this sort of thing?

I wasn’t sure where to post this observation, but I figured this might be the best place. I went fishing for a few hours this afternoon with a buddy out to Machesis Lake. Shortly after we pulled onto the lake a snowshoe hare came out of the bush not more than 30 meters away and proceeded to run down the lake for a hundred meters or so and then back in the bush. We thought it was a bit odd but proceeded to drill our holes and start fishing. About an hour or so later my buddy says, “Look at that rabbit.” Sure enough there is a rabbit running across the middle of the lake; it started at the far west side and was running east. Again I thought it was kind of weird as we watched it running in the wide open. It was then we noticed a fisher about 300 meters behind the rabbit in hot pursuit! The rabbit ran towards a small island (not much more than cattails) near the dock. Once there, it changed direction and headed to shore. After it reached the shoreline it changed its mind, and headed back into the middle of the lake. This was a mistake. The fisher pounced on it and it was game over. I managed to get my binoculars out of the truck and observe the fisher drag/carry the rabbit off the lake. I speculate that it was after the same rabbit we saw when we first got to the lake. Whatever the case may be, I figure it will be some time before I witness another such occurrence.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:31 PM
Banned

When a fisher has a hankerin for rabbit and gets on a fresh trail, the rabbit may just as well sit and wait and save the chase, cuz it is written-
--in the snow...
Old 12-21-2011, 11:44 PM
Gone Hunting

You can run. but you'll just die tired.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 12-22-2011, 12:55 AM

I have but closer.

Saw a fischer in the middle of a trail while riding the quad. Kept riding up to it and it bolted into the bush. I stopped where he went in looking to get a glimpse and i did... came out and just stared at me... maybe 15yds. Went back in and came out 3 times. Unknown to me he(fairly big so an assumption) had a dead rabbit on the trail right in front of my quad. 3rd time he came out, he bolted at the rabbit, grabbed it and ran back into the bush.

Amazing animals... just hate skinning the ones full of porcupine quills.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:37 AM

Couple years ago, while sitting at a cutline intersection waiting for a moose to find me, a couple hundred yards away I seen two rabbits running towards me. A grey, and a black. As they got closer, I realized he one in pursuit was not
a rabbit, but a fischer. I assume so anyway, about two or two and a half feet long.

The rabbit made a b-line straight to me, and honest to god ran right between my legs! I hadn't moved in a long time cause I wanted to see this unfold, so maybe the rabbit didn't realize what I was? But it is my belief it knew full
well, and was hoping my presence would scare the Fischer off.

The rabbit went into the bush behind me, and the Fischer went around me, about ten yards away, and followed the rabbit. Two minutes later they both pop out again. The rabbit runs straight to me, and passes by right next to me, the Fischer goes around, and they continue down the same
cutline they came from, and out of site.

That was one of my most memorable days in the bush!
Old 12-22-2011, 06:12 AM

these bunnies was making the fisher work for its meal .. cool stories, mother nature at her finest.

I was also waiting for a moose to find me in the barrier bc area (great line ditch donkey) when a little red fox sniffed his way along my trail and came within a few feet of me looked right at me as i sat there, sniffed the air, pee'd and wandered calmly away .. certainly nowhere near as dramatic as life and death chase but kinda cool
Old 12-22-2011, 07:47 AM

Any one have a spare Fisher they could drop off in Canmore..
Animal rights people could see how nature works.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:07 AM

Chad, I witnessed that exact same thing, quite a few years ago, on Marie Lake. We drove over to see what was going on...the fisher didn't even look at us.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim summit View Post
Any one have a spare Fisher they could drop off in Canmore..
Animal rights people could see how nature works.
good one
Old 12-22-2011, 04:23 PM

I've seen that happen many times. Fisher always wins!!
Old 12-22-2011, 06:10 PM

I actually watched a wolverine do the same thing on monday. The poor little rabbit ran straight towards my truck, and the wolverine sat in the trees waiting for the truck to move. I felt bad and let the rabbit sit under my truck for an hour or so before I left. The wolverine waited for a while and then just have up and left.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:24 PM

standing along a cutline years ago a hare ran across followed by what looked like a marten. then the hare ran back the opposite way, shortly followed by the marten. and then again and again...lol i figured he eventually caught him caws the hare didn't cross back over. persistent little bugger,he wasn't winning the race but he never quit either.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:43 PM

We've got quite a few martens around Canmore, and I think that they take quite a few bunnies.

I watched a young marten battling it out with a rabbit on security footage once, and it was by no means a done deal. Granted the marten was a 'young of the year' and I had the impression that he didn't really know what he was doing. Took him about 20 minutes to finally finish the deal.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:00 AM

Funny this should come up........... I just left the Yukon after three years on a construction project. I loaded my trailer and headed for BC. I hit a snowstorm not long after hitting the highway, the roads where horriable. then, I see these two animals on the shoulder a distance between them. I first thought there was an accident and two dogs where loose. Then I indentified the hare. It was running almost in my tracks running hard towards my truck then I identified a Wolverine in chase loping behind the hare.

What a site. I have never seen this in my life and it was something to witness.

Dog_River