Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-24-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post

Weeding out the "less serious hunters" is a path to reducing societies support for this lifestyle.

"
My thoughts as well. Every sportsmens dream is to have a large majority of the population as hunters or who at least claim to be or identify as hunters, but dont hunt on a regular basis or at all. Keeps the local F&W clubs full and funded, the field empty, and pressure on the gov to maintain/increase hunting opportunity.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residentguide View Post
Exactly. White tails are the animal people put as number one on that list.
Just guessing but Whitetail likely is high because of cost to hunt them and availability everywhere in NA. Sheep are rated as one of the top trophy species because of the difficulty of the hunt and the relative scarcity of them compared to other species.

I think sheep are considered the top species by the hunting community in general though. Look what a ministers or governors sheep tag sells for vs the elk or deer tags at those auctions.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
No it is not DK.

The most sought after big game species is the whitetail deer..
because its cheap and its fun and they are everywhere
Old 07-24-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
No it is not DK.

The most sought after big game species is the whitetail deer..
The most hunted certainly. The most sought after not sure I wold agree.

All based on opinion though so I cant back up as I dont know of study that asked this question.

This is a bit of derail so if you want to continue this conversation we can do it on a seperate thread.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond k View Post
All based on opinion though so I cant back up as I dont know of study that asked this question.
LOL That's true of almost every "something's got to be done!" post in this thread.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck Country View Post
My thoughts as well. Every sportsmens dream is to have a large majority of the population as hunters or who at least claim to be or identify as hunters, but dont hunt on a regular basis or at all. Keeps the local F&W clubs full and funded, the field empty, and pressure on the gov to maintain/increase hunting opportunity.
But the biggest problem is we have people that want to price everybody out of hunting and others that just want there to be general tags across the board so everybody gets a tag to hang on the tree cause everybody go a tag. In this province everybody feels they are entitled to this now because they think there way is better or should only be for a select few. The biggest problems is people should have to wait a specific time to become a resident. Second laws should be made if you get caught shooting others tags you should be banned from hunting in Alberta. This should stop people's wife's and kids applying for tags so you get more tags. I know this happens a lot in this province. Third non residents should not be in our draws for prairie elk and all zones that require a draw more than a P4 to draw. Everybody keep on outfitters but there tags have nothing to do with resident tags. If any tag affects resident tags is landowner tags. Earlier someone was saying get rid of trophy zones and tags. I totally disagree as I hunt for horn first because it is more of a challenge then shooting the first deer I see. If that is what you want do not apply for antlered animals. You will draw almost every year for most animals and you will be more successful.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Just guessing but Whitetail likely is high because of cost to hunt them and availability everywhere in NA. Sheep are rated as one of the top trophy species because of the difficulty of the hunt and the relative scarcity of them compared to other species.

I think sheep are considered the top species by the hunting community in general though. Look what a ministers or governors sheep tag sells for vs the elk or deer tags at those auctions.
Back to how much things cost? I am far from rich or making all the money you oil guys get payed. I really can't wait to see all oil go down the crapper so you can wake up with less and beg and plead to get a tag. Funny how people as such waste money on sheep tags like in your profile pic. How much money is you stone and desert going to cost? I hope it is so high you never will get one. Were is a pic of your Alberta bighorn? Is it to cheep so you don't hunt them?
Old 07-24-2014, 02:12 PM

I always found it interesting how people would rather shoot a fork horn "meat buck" than a doe for meat.....is there a stigma to shooting does?

If you know you aren't proud of what you are going to shoot...hold off on squeezing the trigger IMHO.

LC
Old 07-24-2014, 02:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
They have 999 for a reason.
rather go for the tag then 999. either way my priority increases.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
rather go for the tag then 999. either way my priority increases.
Then if you draw 6 tags in one year are you going to be upset?

....because if that happens you are P0 for six draws...

LC
Old 07-24-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I always found it interesting how people would rather shoot a fork horn "meat buck" than a doe for meat.....is there a stigma to shooting does?

LC
I would think that if you are a hunter concerned with trophies, you shoot the doe and let the buck grow. If you are a hunter that just loves to hunt and is more concerned with with getting the population up, you shoot the young buck. That doe can still be bred by another buck.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:21 PM

repose in red.

Quote:
But the biggest problem is we have people that want to price everybody out of hunting and others that just want there to be general tags across the board so everybody gets a tag to hang on the tree cause everybody go a tag. In this province everybody feels they are entitled to this now because they think there way is better or should only be for a select few. The biggest problems is people should have to wait a specific time to become a resident.

Second laws should be made if you get caught shooting others tags you should be banned from hunting in Alberta. We already have laws that address this concern.

This should stop people's wife's and kids applying for tags so you get more tags. I know this happens a lot in this province. Third non residents should not be in our draws for prairie elk and all zones that require a draw more than a P4 to draw.

Everybody keep on outfitters but there tags have nothing to do with resident tags. Incorrect. Of course Outfitter allocation effects Resident tags, especially in Draw hunts.

If any tag affects resident tags is landowner tags. This really only applies to Antlered Mule Deer and it still effects the draw system to a lesser degree than the Outfitter allocation.

Earlier someone was saying get rid of trophy zones and tags. I totally disagree as I hunt for horn first because it is more of a challenge then shooting the first deer I see. If that is what you want do not apply for antlered animals. You will draw almost every year for most animals and you will be more successful. Then you should be in favour of increasing the allowable harvest. It will make your "trophy" hunt that much more challenging. Since you disagree, I guess you are more in favour of shopping than hunting.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 07-24-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Back to how much things cost? I am far from rich or making all the money you oil guys get payed. I really can't wait to see all oil go down the crapper so you can wake up with less and beg and plead to get a tag. Funny how people as such waste money on sheep tags like in your profile pic. How much money is you stone and desert going to cost? I hope it is so high you never will get one. Were is a pic of your Alberta bighorn? Is it to cheep so you don't hunt them?
Hey, welcome back to the forum!!
Old 07-24-2014, 02:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathewsZ7 View Post
Its not greedy its just a simple fact if we dont want tags to be like some are now and never obtainable things have to change. And with that the only change is removing those that really dont care for the tags but apply just for the simple fact that it is cheap. So guys will put in for 50yrs or a lifetime say and never get a tag costing them $200+. But wouldnt pay $100/yr to apply for 10yrs and get a tag. Makes sense to me. Keeper cheap so everyone can afford the draw to watch themselves not hunt!!!! You rock Alberta!! Next thread!
glad you have quit this thread z7 because your posts are not making sense.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:

We need this support for hunting to survive over the next few generations. But unfortunately there are many that are only concerned with what they can personally take , with very little care for others or future generations.

There's a Licence plate slogan in there somewhere.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 07-24-2014, 02:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Maybe like many he hunts bighorns and hasnt been successful yet. With a 5 - 6% success rate on rams in Alberta with between 120 and 140 rams harvested by approx 2200 hunters annually you can dedicate and hunt a lot for bighorns and still not harvest one. With over 15,000 people putting in the trophy sheep draws and total bighorn population being only between 6000 and 7000 it shows guys want them but they arent the easiest to come by!!! Not many other draws that have that kind of draw applicant vs over all population. But thats to be expected with an animal that isnt really anything special!!
Old 07-24-2014, 02:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddave View Post
That was a pretty obvious one.....
Old 07-24-2014, 02:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
glad you have quit this thread z7 because your posts are not making sense.
I can explain any big words your having issues with. What part dont you understand? Guys putting in a lifetime for a tag and not getting it? Its Already happening!
Old 07-24-2014, 02:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks!! Hows business at the Napa treating you?
Old 07-24-2014, 02:50 PM

Its all good! But I was refering to res guide.... Haven't got you figured out just yet, but I have an idea
Old 07-24-2014, 02:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Its all good! But I was refering to res guide.... Haven't got you figured out just yet, but I have an idea

Old 07-24-2014, 02:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Maybe like many he hunts bighorns and hasnt been successful yet. With a 5 - 6% success rate on rams in Alberta with between 120 and 140 rams harvested by approx 2200 hunters annually you can dedicate and hunt a lot for bighorns and still not harvest one. With over 15,000 people putting in the trophy sheep draws and total bighorn population being only between 6000 and 7000 it shows guys want them but they arent the easiest to come by!!! Not many other draws that have that kind of draw applicant vs over all population. But thats to be expected with an animal that isnt really anything special!!
All the people who apply for these sheep tag apply cause they think they are easy tags to fill plain and simple. Maybe he should just pay a outfitter cause he has all this money to burn.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Exactly right Chuck. And the majority of people are. Why penalize them?

I'm not opposed to automatic charges for a license when you are drawn. Fine. But jacking up prices on responsible hunters who aren't the problem such that it puts some part of their hunting plans out of reach isn't the answer.
Quote:
We need this support for hunting to survive over the next few generations. But unfortunately there are many that are only concerned with what they can personally take , with very little care for others or future generations.

There's a Licence plate slogan in there somewhere.
Do your kids hunt?

-Billy Molls
Old 07-24-2014, 03:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
repose in red.
What law is that that stops this crap from happening? Lots of people get charged but many get away with it cause of no officers and all the loop holes in out courts systems. As for you comment to a challenge. I am not shopping when I hunt. I find the animal I want before season and hunt it. Most times an old mature deer is smarter. Look at whitetails. Most that get shot are less than 2 years old cause the outsmart people. Mule deer are different as the older ones that got lucky are the only ones that are half smart. This is why we have draws in Alberta. Remember back when a general tag hog you nothing as the 3 points all got killed opening day. No thanks as that is not a quality hunt I would ever want to see again in this province. Outfitter tags don not effect tag numbers in any zone. They are based off of ours. Landowner tags should be figured out and applied to draw for all residents and back to everybody
Old 07-24-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Outfitter tags don not effect tag numbers in any zone. They are based off of ours. Landowner tags should be figured out and applied to draw for all residents and back to everybody
WRONG....

When residents tags are decided EVERY YEAR outfitter tags are negotiated over FIVE YEARS.

So in a harsh winter....residents could see a huge reduction in tags while an outfitter will have EXACTLY THE SAME number of tags they did the year before.

They are not reduced proportionally....and in some cases the a outfitters have held more tags in a zone than residents.

I think landowners should have landowner tags but u feel they should be for anterless, because the does and cows are the ones that typically do the most damage when it comes to crops and fences. Nothing more destructive to feed and fences than 100 riled up and hungry cow elk.

LC
Old 07-24-2014, 03:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
All the people who apply for these sheep tag apply cause they think they are easy tags to fill plain and simple. Maybe he should just pay a outfitter cause he has all this money to burn.
Maybe he choses to take his bighorn in Alberta? Maybe you should get a second job if life is so crappy for you! Just because someone has done well or decides to save money for things they love shouldn't really be any of your concern. Seem you have a very jealous spot toward him!! Im glad to see fellow Albertans doing well enough to afford that stuff. I sure cant but does not mean that I wish ill fate on those that do just because they can afford what I cant and get more oppertunities!! Its how life is!! Sorry its not fair and hope you are able to get by!
Old 07-24-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Do your kids hunt?
Yes, both of them.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenRange View Post
I don't mind #3 or #4. If you go ahead with number #2 keep in mind that for a species like elk most people need around a 12 priority to get drawn for antlered, people have something like $50 into draw fees applied to get a 12 priority. That plus a wildlife certificate and then a $150 tag means I'm into that animal for almost $250 and I haven't even cut and wrapped it yet. Lots of people still hunt for the cheap meat because pork, chicken and beef are climbing rapidly, you would alienate the people who can't afford that hefty price tag on getting an elk or whatever. I'm sure lots of people will complain about #1 so I'll leave that for someone else.
Lol hunting= cheap meat. Not in my world. It's one of my most expensive hobbies....
Old 07-24-2014, 04:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
WRONG....

When residents tags are decided EVERY YEAR outfitter tags are negotiated over FIVE YEARS.

So in a harsh winter....residents could see a huge reduction in tags while an outfitter will have EXACTLY THE SAME number of tags they did the year before.

They are not reduced proportionally....and in some cases the a outfitters have held more tags in a zone than residents.

I think landowners should have landowner tags but u feel they should be for anterless, because the does and cows are the ones that typically do the most damage when it comes to crops and fences. Nothing more destructive to feed and fences than 100 riled up and hungry cow elk.

LC
Wrong? How are they? Either way the outfitter tags have nothing to do with resident tags. One is based off the other. Resident tags are bases on animals numbers. Maybe all NR licenses should be only through outfitters then would fix a lot of the NR problems. Landowner tags have people in the draw jumping ahead of the line. I don't care what they do or don't do for the wildlife. Take the mass amounts of tags given out and put them in the pot and you would see a big difference on a few species.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Maybe he choses to take his bighorn in Alberta? Maybe you should get a second job if life is so crappy for you! Just because someone has done well or decides to save money for things they love shouldn't really be any of your concern. Seem you have a very jealous spot toward him!! Im glad to see fellow Albertans doing well enough to afford that stuff. I sure cant but does not mean that I wish ill fate on those that do just because they can afford what I cant and get more oppertunities!! Its how life is!! Sorry its not fair and hope you are able to get by!
You crack me up. I have nothing personal against anybody. There opinions yes. I never said I was poor. I just don't make the bs money people who work oil and gas do. I can afford to save up and do all of those hunts but I don't want to waste money just cause. As for spending money like that why does he not go and pay for his sheep in Alberta?