Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-01-2023, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Treliving fall asleep after an 18" meat lovers and 6 brewskis?
He's selling, just can't decide who....

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 03-01-2023, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
He's selling, just can't decide who....
Maybe Huberwho? Pretty sweet long term contract, should be an easy move
Old 03-02-2023, 08:09 AM

And the rich get richer with Boston adding 30 goal score (last season, he's missed alot of games this year) Tyler Bertuzzi.

My prediction for the Cup Final is Colorado vs Boston, although I feel LA could give Colorado a run for their money.
Old 03-02-2023, 01:13 PM

Seems like a fairly active trade deadline. Wonder if some major surprises are coming.

Teams who just don’t have it this year looking to cash out some chips and look to win big next season.

https://www.tsn.ca/tradecentre/trade-tracker
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-02-2023, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Sounds like Columbus doesn't really want him, LA just had to send someone out to make the cap work, and a $5.8M backup fit the bill. They've publicly announced they'll try to flip him to a contender if anyone wants him, but really, who logically would?
Moved to Vegas.
Old 03-02-2023, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Moved to Vegas.
I saw that and was kinda shocked. Of qualified goalies, he has the 49th best SA% of 50 goalies. This may help LA, Edmonton, or Seattle if he plays, but I don't feel he'll help the Knights.
Old 03-02-2023, 03:47 PM

I want to say Boston is totally set now to take the cup, their team is just so complete, from Ullmark on out.

And yet part of me wants to see the Rangers school them. They also have made a couple top forward acquisitions. My money would still be on Boston, I don't see any western teams having a solid chance (even if Avs get healthy)....but, Rangers as the Dark Horse.

Flames a solid chance to miss playoffs and continue on being mediocre next year. Huby and Weeger just haven't lived up to expectations. Kadri did imo, and I hope he sticks around.

Sutter needs to bring up Wolf and give him some experience for next year. Markstrom has been dismal, and it seems to have rubbed off on Vladar as well.

Being a Flames fan is an exercise in futility again.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 03-02-2023, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post

Being a Flames fan is an exercise in futility again.
Try being a Cauck fan this year .
Old 03-02-2023, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishunter327 View Post
Try being a Cauck fan this year .
This year?

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 03-02-2023, 07:27 PM

Quote:
This year?
Old 03-02-2023, 10:52 PM

Quote:

Flames a solid chance to miss playoffs and continue on being mediocre next year. Huby and Weeger just haven't lived up to expectations. Kadri did imo, and I hope he sticks around.

He'll stick around. Signed until he's 39 at $7M per.
Old 03-19-2023, 11:31 PM

Quote:
When he first entered the league, I wasn't an Ovi fan, but he's grown on me over the years. That being said, I feel Washington is going to struggle this year and may not make the playoffs. Their core is getting older, Ovi, Backstrom, Oshie, Carlson, Orlov, etc. are all well into their thirties, it's a strong division/conference, and I just don't think they are that good, their second line is Protas-Strome-Mantha, who have combined for one 50+ point season.
Was right on the money. And they got rid of Orlov. And to Boston to boot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Not sure about Kuemper though. He is good, but can’t trust that guy when it really counts.
Also true.

Boston seems to be unstoppable.
Old 03-21-2023, 07:17 AM

Can you imagine the playoffs starting without Sid and Ovi in it ???? could very well happen, the Pens have a shot yet at the wild card but I think the Caps are done for.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 03-26-2023, 06:06 PM

^ Yeah. That’d be the first or second time for the Pens since Syd started playing. I believe they have the record for consecutive play-off appearance going in any sport.

Bruins and Hurricanes was a fun game. Bruins tied the franchise record for most wins in a season and set the franchise record for most road wins in a season with today’s win.
Old 03-29-2023, 09:39 AM

Man the Jets are just on life support, they have been shut out 3 times in the last 12 day's it's like they want to hit the golf course and let the Flames in

The race is heating up, can't count the Preds out, they beat the bruins last night, the last wildcard spot is up for grabs

Old 04-10-2023, 01:35 AM

Bruins set the record for most games won in a single season today. And we now have 2 60-goal scorers.

Eric Karlson is looking to have a 100-point season. First for a defenseman in a while. However, I don’t get the comparisons to the greats in the game. There were talks that he is was going to be the next Lidstrom (of Detroit), for example. Sure, there are some similarities: both come from Sweden and both can rake up points. However, this is right about where it ends, imo. While the latter is one of the best (if not the best) defenseman the game had ever seen, Karlson is -19 on the season and something like -100 in his career. Lidstrom is about +450 and had only scored a negative (-2) once in his entire career. And I don’t mean to downplay his accomplishment(s), but we are talking about d-men here, not forwards playing on the backend. Bobby Orr raked up a whooping +124 (?) when he scored 130 (?) points in a season, for example.

Speaking of Lidstrom… Damn, that Detroit team was something to look up to for a couple of decades. I sure was a fan. Most of anyone they signed would become a much better player for it. They sure knew how to pick them as well - 3-4+ round picks would retire as some of the hockey greats. Datsyuk was 6th round pick; Zetterberg was selected in the 7th round; Lidstrom - 3rd; Fedorov - 4th; etc. And the grinders? Maltby - Draper - McCarty? Just an epic team, really, that had it all put and work together for many years. Almost surprising that they only got 4 cups out of those “golden years”. No team comes close in terms of longevity and consistency, imo. Tampa reminded of it at times (lead by none other but Stevie Y) and so did/does Boston. Ironically, it was the Wings and the Lightning that held the record season wins at 62 games before Boston got their 63rd today.
Old 04-10-2023, 07:06 AM

Bruins record is amazing in the league today as there is so much balance.

Scoring has gone up a bunch which is awesome. To bad the rough stuff has gone down otherwise we would have a perfect scenario. But the hockey I’d say has been goiod and entertaining to watch.
Old 04-12-2023, 07:38 AM

I fear that we are not going to see Sid the kid in the playoffs for the first time in 17 years, they have to win their last game and hope the Canadians beat the Islanders

Old 04-12-2023, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
Bruins record is amazing in the league today as there is so much balance.
At the same time being less impressive to me as every game has a winner. Back in the day, when the old record was set, tie games existed.
Old 04-12-2023, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
I fear that we are not going to see Sid the kid in the playoffs for the first time in 17 years, they have to win their last game and hope the Canadians beat the Islanders
They pulled a Flames and really dropped the ball last night. Chicago is actively tanking, had multiple players with less than a dozen NHL games for the year, was a critical game for Pittsburgh, and they got blown up.
Old 04-15-2023, 01:12 AM

Well, the season is over. No Ovi and no Sid in the playoffs.

Also no Canadian goalies in the top 10 stats wise. There is one in top 15 as ranked by goals against average and two as ranked by saving percentage. Kindda crazy.

Karlsson finished with 101 points. Not too shabby for a front line guy playing defence, lol. I kid, of course. Or do I? Haha. -26, nonetheless.

Boston with whooping 65 wins!
Old 04-15-2023, 07:31 AM

Yes some interesting match ups again this year, the panthers and bruins could be done quick, the wild and stars will be a knock down drag'm out series, is this the year the leaf's figure out how to beat the lightning ?? Oilers and kings anybodies series Oilers in 7 again is my guess, I think the sleeper in the west is the jets they could take out the knights in the first round, the Avs will be a tough out again for sure and rangers - devils should be a great match, lot's of good hockey to watch starting Monday

Old 01-18-2024, 10:47 PM

Ovechkin has slowed down a ton. People are questioning if he beat Gretzkys 864 goals now.

He’s at 8 goals for the year so far. 830 lifetime.

Can he do it? Do people want him to or not or careless?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-19-2024, 06:09 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Ovechkin has slowed down a ton. People are questioning if he beat Gretzkys 864 goals now.

He’s at 8 goals for the year so far. 830 lifetime.

Can he do it? Do people want him to or not or careless?
Injuries suck but overcoming them is all part of setting records that stay unbroken for a long time....

Canucks are doing fine this season as is my 1B team Vegas so happy just hope it spills over to post season

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-19-2024, 06:23 AM

I think he easily could have if not for the lock out. From the beginning of the season I've been telling my buddy I don't think he'll do it. Think he's the oldest forward in the league and still needs 60 some goals. A tough task.
Old 01-19-2024, 09:10 AM

Quote:
I think he easily could have if not for the lock out. From the beginning of the season I've been telling my buddy I don't think he'll do it. Think he's the oldest forward in the league and still needs 60 some goals. A tough task.
https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nhl/...career%20goals.

Yup. Gretzky 894 to Ovechkin 830.

I see I missed typed above.

64 goals at his age is a ton of goals to get as this year he sits so far at 8?
Old 01-19-2024, 09:17 AM

Couple decades in the league and only one cup. Pathetic.
Hockey is a team sport. If you can’t lead your team to win the cup you’re no leader. Individual awards mean nothing.
(My interpretation of every Mcdavid hater lol)
Old 01-19-2024, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Couple decades in the league and only one cup. Pathetic.
Hockey is a team sport. If you can’t lead your team to win the cup you’re no leader. Individual awards mean nothing.
(My interpretation of every Mcdavid hater lol)
Do you care if he beats the record.

Based upon this year I think Gretzky is smirking a bit.
Old 01-19-2024, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Do you care if he beats the record.

Based upon this year I think Gretzky is smirking a bit.
I actually think Gretzky would love to see it beat.
But no, I don’t care if he beats it or not.
Old 01-19-2024, 11:10 AM

Records are made to be broken no matter the sport, the longevity, dedication and talent that it takes to have a long and productive career to break or set a new record is amazing. Injuries play a huge part in the longevity of any sport and conditioning plays a huge role in that but injuries are something cannot be controlled, dedication and talent on the other hand are things that must be worked at very hard every day.

This year was critical for OV but he is not maintaining his pace and next year will be tougher, time is his enemy the clock waits for no one.