Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-22-2009, 04:44 PM

Default Kids Ice Fishing

My hubby and I want to take our girls ice fishing this winter (ages 8 and 10) but they are terrified of going onto the ice.

We've tried explaining to them that once the ice is thick enough that it is safe and that people even drive on the ice. We've promised them that we'd walk on to make them feel better.

I love ice fishing and have not done it in many years. I'm really looking forward to getting back out there. I know that once they get over their fears that they'll love it (they already love fishing)

Do any of you guys/gals have any suggestions on how to get them over this?

Thanks!
Old 11-22-2009, 04:51 PM

Drop an ice cube into a glass of water and show them that ice actually floats.

Or just wait till there is a bunch of snow on the ice and dont tell them they are on the ice till you are ready to punch holes.

Might work, might not.

Or let them wear life jackets...lol
Old 11-22-2009, 05:27 PM

I could use a hint too for my wife, soon as she hears any noise shes off running for shore

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 11-22-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianscott View Post

Or just wait till there is a bunch of snow on the ice and dont tell them they are on the ice till you are ready to punch holes.

Might work, might not.

Couldn't have come up with better suggestions myself.

Wayne, tell your wife that it's when she can't hear noise that she should worry.

I think the best time to take new people out on the ice (fishing or not) is when there is snow. Seems a lot less scary when the snow muffles the cracks a bit, and gives you the illusion of walking on crunchy, snowy ground.

Bring on the hard water!!
Old 11-22-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
I could use a hint too for my wife, soon as she hears any noise shes off running for shore
My wife is from Florida...she hates any form of ice in general, but the idea of actually going out on to a frozen lake is just right out of the question for her. She doesn't even like the idea of me going out there.

I guess I'd better not tell her I plan on driving the Jeep out on the ice later in the season

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 11-22-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mish View Post
Couldn't have come up with better suggestions myself.

Wayne, tell your wife that it's when she can't hear noise that she should worry.

I think the best time to take new people out on the ice (fishing or not) is when there is snow. Seems a lot less scary when the snow muffles the cracks a bit, and gives you the illusion of walking on crunchy, snowy ground.
I agree about the snow on the ice. It'll muffle the sound of the cracks as well as the visual of the cracks that are already there in the ice.

Better traction on snow too

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 11-22-2009, 06:08 PM

Hey Geezle, bring your wife down this winter, we will take the 2 of them way out in the middle of Newell and place bets on who can make it to the shore first, could be the next big thing in the winter Olympics!! Ice Dashing!!!!

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 11-22-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Hey Geezle, bring your wife down this winter, we will take the 2 of them way out in the middle of Newell and place bets on who can make it to the shore first, could be the next big thing in the winter Olympics!! Ice Dashing!!!!
Sold!

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 11-22-2009, 08:11 PM

Do 'the check' before you get on the ice. Before you drive on, stop and get the auger out and drill a hole right in front of them. Then measure the ice and tell them that it is safe and be really assuring. It doesnt matter how much ice there is just be really assuring and your good to go. And dont go by where there is alot of vehicle traffic, people dont appreciate when the water is raising and lowering in the hole.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianscott View Post

Might work, might not.

I think 2nd post took care of this thread!! I too have young ones what they don't know.... go with other folks with other children they'll catch on their kids??! it's awesome!!
Old 11-22-2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theycallmeNoah View Post
My hubby and I want to take our girls ice fishing this winter (ages 8 and 10) but they are terrified of going onto the ice.

We've tried explaining to them that once the ice is thick enough that it is safe and that people even drive on the ice. We've promised them that we'd walk on to make them feel better.

I love ice fishing and have not done it in many years. I'm really looking forward to getting back out there. I know that once they get over their fears that they'll love it (they already love fishing)

Do any of you guys/gals have any suggestions on how to get them over this?

Thanks!
If it is simply fear of the unknown then take the time..research a few websites...explain to them in detail how safe it is and how much ice a person or car can safely be on.

Know the area you are fishing an only go to a spot with consistent ice unlike say under the trestle at Wabumun or near springs. That change in ice thickness can be scary and I have seen young kids fall into the water under the trestle. Also explain about how the ice cracks and creaks and booms since it expands and contracts but freezes instantly so that their is no concern. Don't drive on the ice with them until they feel comfortable. Know the area. Don't wear seatbelts...understand the hazzards. I would recommend spots with a short walk. Take a tent so they are more comfortable and at that age take skates etc. or expect to only go for no longer than 2-3 hours.

If they have a phobia...then it is all different.

IMHO
Old 11-23-2009, 08:05 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the tips.

We are going to a small lake that we've fished before in the summer. It's 10 mins from my parents place so that if the kids get cold they can go and hang out with Grandma and Poppa.

I had my girls read your responses (other than the wife olympics) and I think that really helped.

I'm sure once they start catching fish (trout and perch) they'll soon forget their fears

Thanks again everyone!!
Old 11-23-2009, 03:24 PM

I was a bit uneasy on the ice my first year of ice fishing but after being out on a really bad day of lots of noise from the ice cracking it does not even bother me any more. I did have a buddy explain the whole expanding ice and freezing right away and that helped me.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:34 PM

Let them watch ice road truckers. it's amazing the loads they bring over the ice. LOL
Old 11-23-2009, 06:13 PM

[QUOTE=SuCraM;439591]I was a bit uneasy on the ice my first year of ice fishing but after being out on a really bad day of lots of noise from the ice cracking it does not even bother me any more.

Was this that day on Newell where you nearly took the roof out of the ice hut when that big crack ripped through our holes?

That was entertaining.