Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-28-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
Right On!!!!..glad to see the hardwater season is almost upon us and hunting season is almost over, now we can switch forums and listen to all the "holier than thou's" etc. over there....BTW..same here as anywhere..."I heard"...my "brothers friend is a bioligist"..whatever....great Trout TP...keep the pics coming for us who live vicariously thru' you
There's nothing wrong with people posting pictures, they just need to take pictures properly that's all.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:57 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpro View Post
There's nothing wrong with people posting pictures, they just need to take pictures properly that's all.
Sorry..not worthy of a response....Good Luck Fishing!!!
Old 11-28-2009, 09:04 PM
RIVERDRIFTER

Well he was all sad he never got a pat on the back when he posted pictures before. Now look what he got lol.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:39 PM

Default i like to take pix of the trout i catch............

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIVERDRIFTER View Post
Well he was all sad he never got a pat on the back when he posted pictures before. Now look what he got lol.
yup, look what i got

that is the idea behind a picture thread, isnt it?

look what i got indeed

fishpro;

i saw you get skunked on your homestream(fallentimber) on the former tv show "fishing with the dodger"
Old 11-29-2009, 12:09 AM
RIVERDRIFTER

Old 11-29-2009, 12:15 AM

nice fish guys. Im jealous, no frikkin ice down this way yet!!!!! well, except in my glass

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 11-29-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
Why are you still here if your only goal is to pick battles? Best to let your fingers do the walking, and not your mouth. Fish are cold blooded.

Thanks for the input Cristy. Nice fish Pirate, don't let the goofs warm your beer up.
Fisher guy, I think you and SOME of the others that post here are a tight little group and when anothers comments/opinions that you differ with, are then believed to be insane/argumentive. Read my first post, there is nothing in it that is as you say "trying to pick a battle". Such ignorance. I also agree BIGTIME with Fishpro & Riverdrifter, read their comments. There's a FEW of you on here it seems are more interested about the kill and not the CARE of the fish if you are releasing. It makes me freakin laugh when comments like, it quickly photo'd in +5 weather. Quick is good, it it was quick but it sure as heck isn't 5 degrees at ice level!!
Old 11-29-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
Fisher guy, I think you and SOME of the others that post here are a tight little group and when anothers comments/opinions that you differ with, are then believed to be insane/argumentive. Read my first post, there is nothing in it that is as you say "trying to pick a battle". Such ignorance. I also agree BIGTIME with Fishpro & Riverdrifter, read their comments. There's a FEW of you on here it seems are more interested about the kill and not the CARE of the fish if you are releasing. It makes me freakin laugh when comments like, it quickly photo'd in +5 weather. Quick is good, it it was quick but it sure as heck isn't 5 degrees at ice level!!

Well,,,I'm not in the little click you're talkin about and I feel that if you had a problem with his fish release them pm him instead of stealing this thread. Maybe start your own about "techniques for fish release" be proactive instead os reactive. There's better ways to get your point accross
Old 11-29-2009, 09:44 AM

I posted these bullies, I was by myself and layed it on shore for a quick pic and wow did it p!ss people off. I know how it feels to catch flack for the assumption of mistreated fish. I could care less
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gun pics 010bull.jpg (75.5 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg gun pics 017bull.jpg (71.0 KB, 46 views)
Old 11-29-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutpirate View Post
fishpro;

i saw you get skunked on your homestream(fallentimber) on the former tv show "fishing with the dodger"
I'm willing to guess you've been skunked once or twice before. It was just bad luck that I was on camera that day. You can't catch them all the time.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxcore View Post
I posted these bullies, I was by myself and layed it on shore for a quick pic and wow did it p!ss people off. I know how it feels to catch flack for the assumption of mistreated fish. I could care less
The fact that you would actually say you could care less is quite pathetic. I hope you don't consider yourself a sportsman. People really need to learn to respect the resource.

In general, there is a protective slime on the side of the fish that can be removed very quickly by laying them on a hard dry surface. When this is removed, there is a high chance of these fish catching diseases that could ulitmately lead to its death once released. It's not such a huge deal if the fish are stocked rainbows, but when they are a threatened bull trout, there is going to be some fuss, and understandably so.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpro View Post
The fact that you would actually say you could care less is quite pathetic. I hope you don't consider yourself a sportsman. People really need to learn to respect the resource.

In general, there is a protective slime on the side of the fish that can be removed very quickly by laying them on a hard dry surface. When this is removed, there is a high chance of these fish catching diseases that could ulitmately lead to its death once released. It's not such a huge deal if the fish are stocked rainbows, but when they are a threatened bull trout, there is going to be some fuss, and understandably so.
I am a sportsman and I felt I cared enough, the fish released were fine. I could care less what other people think......

Last edited by fluxcore; 11-29-2009 at 10:59 AM.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
I am a sportsman and I felt I cared enough, the fish released were fine. I could care less what other people think.......d!ckhead
Just because they swam off doesn't mean they were released fine. See the second part of my last post on removing the slime from fish.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:58 AM

it was layed on its side for a quick second an quickly released Im sure it was fine.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
it was layed on its side for a quick second an quickly released Im sure it was fine.
It doesn't take long for the slime to be removed. And maybe it was fine, but people need to show as much respect to the resource as they can. If you don't know something and people point it out to you, don't be a careless idiot, but take it as a chance to learn something.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:
...when anothers comments/opinions that you differ with, are then believed to be insane/argumentive....
Isn't that what more than half of your posts include? Your distain for others actions or words?

Listen Cristy, I am not here to pick battles. I agree that there is a ethically superior way to do anything, in this case catch and release fish. What gets anyone annoyed and in a ruff is when others do nothing productive to correct or help the situation. Take a look at Troutpirates jean jacket, that's a Nabors jacket. Not a PD jacket, or Ensign for that matter. Calling him out for working for Nabors instead of another drilling company makes about as much sense as the rest of your posts.

I suggest you eat a big bowl of your own toilet advice. You don't like what I post...
Quote:
You have your opinions, I have mine. Last time I checked we are in Canada. We all react differently to comments/situations. That means we can respond or not. I SUGGEST you not read my comments if your offended.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:09 AM

Good photos and thanks for posting them.....I hope people don't stop posting pictures of fish (big or small) or of the scenery when they are enjoying a day out, I really enjoy them...Unfortunately the perception factor kicks in at times which kicks off the debates...I think the late season ice fishing is making people edgy....If a person looks at postings from a year ago, it appears there has been a decline in picture postings and that is not what we what to happen in this forum....
Old 11-29-2009, 11:11 AM

Its almost hard to believe bull trout are such an endangered fish when thats all I seem to be able to catch, Im more worried about the cutties(care should be taken for both)I only seem to catch 1-3 a year!!!! on the river systems I fish? anyone else find this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gun pics 025BB.jpg (51.1 KB, 46 views)
Old 11-29-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Just because two people happen to have a similar opinion on an issue doesn't make them a clique.

I have yet to see a group on this board run around sticking up for each other just because they are friends. For every one opinion posted on here, I'm sure at least 5 people agree and 5 people disagree. Disagreeing with someone doesn't make them your mortal enemy, nor does being in agreement with someone make you part of a "clique".

Bring on the hard water!!
Old 11-29-2009, 11:27 AM

Default best reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mish View Post
Just because two people happen to have a similar opinion on an issue doesn't make them a clique.

I have yet to see a group on this board run around sticking up for each other just because they are friends. For every one opinion posted on here, I'm sure at least 5 people agree and 5 people disagree. Disagreeing with someone doesn't make them your mortal enemy, nor does being in agreement with someone make you part of a "clique".
This is probably the best reply that I have read anywhere in a very long time
Old 11-29-2009, 11:35 AM

I apologize for calling fishpro a d!ckhead I went back and edited it out only to find you quoted it before I changed it
Old 11-29-2009, 11:47 AM

I am sitting here reading this post and trying to figure out why would some people reply to a post the way they do so i have came up with a few reasons why

1 They are jealous that they can't catch fish as big as regular as troutpirate
2 They don't like when the lime light has been taken away from them
3 they are insecure
4 they like to cause trouble and think posting negativity is funny.....trouble makers
5 the way they do things are perfect and everybody elses way is wrong
6 or they are just constant bitchers

I have read hundreds and hundreds of posts and seen pictures of peoples fish and if i really wanted to i probably could find something wrong with every picture, so in reply i would like the bitchers to post a few pictures so we can see how they release fish and so we can pick there pictures apart
Old 11-29-2009, 12:01 PM

Here are a couple pictures of fish I have caught and released. The fish never touched dry ground, and were only out of the water for a short amount of time, there is still water dripping from the fish in the pictures.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...2&id=709736915

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...3&id=709736915

Unfortunately there will be times when people make mistakes in handling fish, and people should be able to point this out in order to help them for next time.

I will mention that I too have been guilty of mishandling fish in the past too, but over time have learned how to better handle them to ensure the highest rate of survival.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:37 PM

All this bickering and the funniest part is I bet the Troutpirate is back at the same lake we were at yesterday catchin brookies and drinking a lucky all the while laughing about all the comotion on this thread.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:46 PM

awesome fish, keep the pics coming, and ignore the "holier than thou" crowd, nothin better than a good catch.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:37 PM

I am as big on returning a fish to the waters unhurt as any one there is. However, This discussion about laying the fish on it's side to take a quick picture is a bit too much. If the catcher was careful in how he brought the fish in, lifted and handled it, laid it down, and then released it, then all might be OK.
Please... you can only do what you can to try and keep a fish from death. The stress of the battle alone can be a death sentence to them. We have to just do our best to handle the fish as little as possible, keep away from their gills, and get them back in the water ASAP. I have been fortunate enough to do fish studies and tagging with F&W for years, and they are a lot rougher on fish than a lot of us are. Oh, to add to that, the gloves they wear when they lay the fish down to measure and check are rough and do take off some of the slime. They tell me it takes a lot to take the slime totally off a fish and I believe them.
I see nothing in the pics I looked at that show that those fish were being harmed. Let's be sensible people...
Old 11-29-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie55 View Post
i am as big on returning a fish to the waters unhurt as any one there is. However, this discussion about laying the fish on it's side to take a quick picture is a bit too much. If the catcher was careful in how he brought the fish in, lifted and handled it, laid it down, and then released it, then all might be ok.
Please... You can only do what you can to try and keep a fish from death. The stress of the battle alone can be a death sentence to them. We have to just do our best to handle the fish as little as possible, keep away from their gills, and get them back in the water asap. I have been fortunate enough to do fish studies and tagging with f&w for years, and they are a lot rougher on fish than a lot of us are. Oh, to add to that, the gloves they wear when they lay the fish down to measure and check are rough and do take off some of the slime. They tell me it takes a lot to take the slime totally off a fish and i believe them.
I see nothing in the pics i looked at that show that those fish were being harmed. Let's be sensible people...
x2:d