Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-04-2014, 10:22 PM

Question Need Help! Question about taking a deer to a horn scoring

Sorry I am new to all this, so thought I would ask is it ok to take a deer head with the cape to a horn scoring? I have not gotten it to the taxidermy shop yet. I ask this because some places say clean heads only.. so wondering if a clean head with cape frozen in a garbage bag is acceptable? Thank you for the help

Last edited by Little deer with spots; 01-04-2014 at 10:36 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:27 PM

If the club has requested clean heads they will not except yours in a garbage bag.
If you planning on getting your deer mounted, get it in to your taxidermist as soon as you can. Even frozen the hide will dry on the head and the longer you wait the harder it is to cape. After caped you can clean the skull plate yourself or have the taxidermist clean it.
Some clubs horn scoring is done where meals are served. Not where you want to bring in a stinking rotten deer head. Not saying yours is but some are rank
Old 01-05-2014, 04:09 AM

Default Horn scoring

I have yet to be at a horn scoring where " diner was served" but I will tell you that some scoring events frown on having to score antlers that are still attached to the cape / skull especially if it's a large cape , e.g wall pedestal/ half mount! On that note , take them in, wrapped as well
As possible get them scored! This isn't table tennis folks !
Old 01-05-2014, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonedocks View Post
I have yet to be at a horn scoring where " diner was served" but I will tell you that some scoring events frown on having to score antlers that are still attached to the cape / skull especially if it's a large cape , e.g wall pedestal/ half mount! On that note , take them in, wrapped as well
As possible get them scored! This isn't table tennis folks !
I'm not sure either as to what dinner is , but Willow Valley Trophy Club , has a day long event where horns / skulls / antlers are measured and food is avaiable . They don't allow uncleaned entries either { well supposedly , I have seen it happen } neither does our club here in Magrath . Best to get it cleaned up and not offend others . How about a photo of your deer for us ?
Old 01-05-2014, 06:59 AM

My deer is not a monster, but a nice one to me, it does not stink, has been in a freezer since the day I got it. Just cant afford the $400 to drop off the head at the taxidermy shop at this time.
Not sure why a horn scoring would be at a food establishment, seems unclean with CWD and all that stuff, why would they want to have heads and food in the same building... ?
Im new to all this, so not trying to offend anyone, just my opinion. Oh well guess clubs are for thoes who can afford taxidermy? Sorry was excited to score it, guess I will not get it done. Thank you for the help.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:46 AM

If you just want to score it, it isn't tough to do yourself. Google it, then grab a tape and a pad of paper and get it done.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:44 AM

You can still get it scored....but not at an antler scoring in the current condition with the cape still attached.

They want clean animals...this year at a place a guy brought in half if a whole deer frozen solid to measure. I hope he salvaged the meat from the fronts....

I am confused are you freezing it till you can get it caped? Till you have enough money to get it mounted? A taxidermist will buy the cape from you or use it for your mount at a later date. Take it to them and they will cape it before the hair starts to slip.

LC
Old 01-05-2014, 09:57 AM

THe winner WT at the Mundare big buck night came in frozen with the hide on...just call ahead and inquire with the people where you intend to take it