Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-28-2013, 06:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadyaz View Post
Never got a flu shot. Not gonna start this year
X 1 billion.

Never had a flu shot in my life and am not going to start today.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:25 PM

I never get them and never get the flu im kind of on the fence about getting them if there is no correlation between getting the shot and getting sick i sure know of a lot of coincidences of people getting violently ill within a day or two of recieving it.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:17 PM

Got mine at my local pharmacy about a month ago, as I do every year. Being in university, often with little sleep and exposure to lots and lots (metric unit) of people, it seemed as logical as ever.

As previously stated, the amount the misinformation about vaccines is somewhere on the border of pathetic and atrocious. If you're looking for an amusing (or frustrating) collection, look at the comment section of CTV Edmonton's recent Facebook posts about the vaccine.

Quote:
No thanks! Flu shots are proven to be not effective!
Quote:
I have 3 healthy unvaccinated children and the oldest is 12. They hardly ever get sick and that'll be the day I inject them with autism or some other brain altering sickness
And for a quick comical read on what someone seem to think about this; this has been circulating the internet for a couple of weeks at least. Caution, some foul language.

http://www.quickmeme.com/p/3vqjb0

Last edited by Steven Noel; 12-28-2013 at 08:33 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Less than 50% of Albertans immunized - time to get with the program if you haven't already!

Why? I rarely get a cold or a sniffle, neither do my kids. Wife gets the shot and still gets sick. I am of the thought, the body will fight whats ailing you if all systems are good. That's what it it built to do. I took the shot once to shut up my doc. I know they say its a myth but i had more colds and sniffles following that shot then ever before or after. No flu shots here.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:11 AM

Never had either, flu shot or the flu. And I dont plan on getting either this year
Old 12-29-2013, 01:15 AM

Never had a shot ever. Never get the flu ever........until recently..... And it really wolloped me hard. Started with acheing muscles and joints then a fever and dizzy spells, then cold spells.furnace cranked, still cold, submerge in the hottest bath ever......still cold, then sore throat and chest, shortness of breathing, puking, ended up with strep throat out of the deal ta boot!!!!
Have not been sick in 20 years.
Thought I was gonna die.
Will be getting regular flu shots from now on.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:38 AM

I don't feel I nor any of us one here have the facts or scientific knowledge to make a properly informed decision. So we rely on what we hear and especially on the experiences of people around us, and that is split in the way of results.

It is unfortunate that our pharmaceutical system involves a major aspect of profit (though necessary) which admittedly accumulates over 15 Billion dollars revenue just for the flu shots. The desire for profit tends to build a dark cloud over the industry's credibility, which by the way, apparently also funds a significant portion of the medical funding for universities which provides our doctors' education.

Oh man...it's snowing AGAIN!
Old 12-29-2013, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
Never had a shot ever. Never get the flu ever........until recently..... And it really wolloped me hard. Started with acheing muscles and joints then a fever and dizzy spells, then cold spells.furnace cranked, still cold, submerge in the hottest bath ever......still cold, then sore throat and chest, shortness of breathing, puking, ended up with strep throat out of the deal ta boot!!!!
Thought I was gonna die.
This one has been circling the globe for five years and is a bad one. (H1N1???)

I had it in 2010 and was never so sick for so long. I still had chest pains from coughing months later. It literally shut down our work that year.

Health officials figured most would be immune to it by now but apparently not.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:14 AM

4000 people in Canada die from the flu every year. The flu's are getting stronger and stronger. Just because you have never had one doesn't mean you're not going to get one.
I wonder how many of those 4000 dead got the shot? Anyone know?
Old 12-29-2013, 08:23 AM

Never get one for my 43 years, all the time used and still using natural medicine (herbs tea, tincture) and have no issue with flue at all.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:27 AM

How about regular hand washing and not touching your face? How about sick people actually covering their mouth when they cough or sneeze? How about sick people staying home from work?

I generally consider the risk of myself catching something from a patient to be much higher than vice versa, from what I see, most of the public have poor sanitation and personal hygiene skills.

As for the person who commented about health care workers not being required to get the shot... how many immunizations should we be forced to have because we work with compromised people? There has already been much discussion about this in BC.

Curious if they do any testing afterwards in regards to levels of actual immunity built up towards the flu virus, for HEP A and B you can test for levels of immunity etc, some people despite repeated rounds of vaccinations never achieve immunity.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
Thought I was gonna die.

Menopause can be tough.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
Menopause can be tough.
Well if they ever make a menapause shot, I will be getting it incase I ever get menapause again!!!
Old 12-30-2013, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emo View Post
How about regular hand washing and not touching your face? How about sick people actually covering their mouth when they cough or sneeze? How about sick people staying home from work?

I generally consider the risk of myself catching something from a patient to be much higher than vice versa, from what I see, most of the public have poor sanitation and personal hygiene skills.

As for the person who commented about health care workers not being required to get the shot... how many immunizations should we be forced to have because we work with compromised people? There has already been much discussion about this in BC.

Curious if they do any testing afterwards in regards to levels of actual immunity built up towards the flu virus, for HEP A and B you can test for levels of immunity etc, some people despite repeated rounds of vaccinations never achieve immunity.
You work in health care ?

You don't become "immune" to the flu with flu shots.
You'll still get it, just not as severe or as long.

I get my shot every year & have done so since a flu nearly killed me about 12-15 years ago.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:20 AM

I get a flu shot every year but its hit or miss I really couldn't say if its effective or not.

I drove from Regina on Friday about halfway back I started to feel kind of queasy in my stomach by 6:30 I was in bed under 3 blankets shivering uncontrollably for 6 hours this was followed by two days of diarrhea I have not eaten since Friday at Noon.

Did the flu shot work for me?
Old 12-30-2013, 07:14 PM

http://ca.shine.yahoo.com/blogs/shine-on/pregnant-pennsylvania-nurse-fired-refusing-flu-shot-191650678.html?vp=1

Sorry don't know how to post the entire article but was interesting as well as timely. Not sure exactly what constitutes being able to decline a vaccination due to "religious" reasons, since it seems that is a very very touchy subject... Preferential treatment by her employer based on religion or discrimination based on lack thereof?

Pretty sad to have a letter from 2 doctors, regardless of the medical reason-whether it be due to stress or worry over the effect of the shot on pregnancy and this is not enough.

Last edited by Emo; 12-30-2013 at 07:20 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterupnorth View Post
I don't feel I nor any of us one here have the facts or scientific knowledge to make a properly informed decision. So we rely on what we hear and especially on the experiences of people around us, and that is split in the way of results.

It is unfortunate that our pharmaceutical system involves a major aspect of profit (though necessary) which admittedly accumulates over 15 Billion dollars revenue just for the flu shots. The desire for profit tends to build a dark cloud over the industry's credibility, which by the way, apparently also funds a significant portion of the medical funding for universities which provides our doctors' education.

Oh man...it's snowing AGAIN!
Exactly. Do what seems right to you after doing your own homework. You people sure do 'should' on others alot.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:02 PM

I think there are indidviduals in some occupations - where certain immunizations should be a condition of employment. For example, staff in nursing homes. Sometimes, the rights of the majority just have to trump the individual rights.
Perhaps a bit different, but some will recall when an air crew member we had in Kuwait during one of the dust-ups with Sadaam, refused a shot (of some kind)....claiming it was his right to do so. He was shipped home and although I never learned the outcome, assume his future was decided by courts marshall. My first reaction was perhaps the military was over reacting -- until I spoke with my son who was in Kuwait as his AC. Pretty simple for him - by failing to protect himself, the crew member created the potential to put both himself and the rest of the crew in danger.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:06 PM
Banned

I got a "flu shot" once....and I got the flu.Though that particular sickness was nothing compared to the "asian flu" I got when I lived in North Vancouver many years ago.

I dont have kids or an SO/GF and I dont work in a close working environment with other people so I wont be getting the "flu shot" unless it is injected to me at gun-point.I am not a tinfoil hat kinda guy but I object to the "flu shot"

FTH
Old 12-30-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishstix View Post
4000 people in Canada die from the flu every year. The flu's are getting stronger and stronger. Just because you have never had one doesn't mean you're not going to get one.
Probably a higher percentage of them had flu shots because the vast majority of people who die of the flu are those with already compromised immune systems, those already sick with other disease, and the elderly. These are also the folks most apt to line up to get flue shots, or are already in hospital, extended care, retirement home residents, all of which have the highest rate of flue shot immunization.

Don't know if the flues are getting stronger or not but I can see a parallel with antibiotics, the more needles we take to kill these bugs the stronger the bugs we are trying to kill get.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:01 PM

Quote:
I think there are indidviduals in some occupations - where certain immunizations should be a condition of employment. For example, staff in nursing homes. Sometimes, the rights of the majority just have to trump the individual rights.
Perhaps a bit different, but some will recall when an air crew member we had in Kuwait during one of the dust-ups with Sadaam, refused a shot (of some kind)....claiming it was his right to do so. He was shipped home and although I never learned the outcome, assume his future was decided by courts marshall. My first reaction was perhaps the military was over reacting -- until I spoke with my son who was in Kuwait as his AC. Pretty simple for him - by failing to protect himself, the crew member created the potential to put both himself and the rest of the crew in danger.
This only works if every resident of the nursing home and all visitors also have the shot. Pretty hard to keep track of if you ask me. Same as a hospital requiring staff to have flu shots-what about all the visitors, all patients, all cleaning staff, admin staff, the cooks etc... all these people are out and about walking the halls, touching things etc. There is a difference between chemical and biological warfare and the flu. I understand the flu can also be deadly, but for most people it is not. Being in Kuwait I would suspect that the problems or chemicals in a vaccine would be the least worrisome of what he could of potentially of been exposed to.

I am still a big proponent of hand washing. Wash wash wash. Aside from before and after the washroom, you should be washing your hands when you come home from work, when you come home from running errands at the mall or grocery store etc.... every time before you eat. Must wash mine 15 times a day or more. Sneeze or cough into the sleeve or shoulder of your jacket, NOT your hand.

Last edited by Emo; 12-30-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:55 PM

I have been getting the shots every since they started. I have not had the flu but have noticed some side effects.
Expansion of the mid torso, hair loss and graying of remaining hair.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishstix View Post
Nobody dies till his number pops up.
If your number pops up you're a goner and no amount of vaccine or meds/medical help will save you.

I never had a flu shot and i haven't been sick in 18 years.
Wife gets a shot every year.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
II drove from Regina on Friday about halfway back I started to feel kind of queasy in my stomach by 6:30 I was in bed under 3 blankets shivering uncontrollably for 6 hours this was followed by two days of diarrhea I have not eaten since Friday at Noon.

That was likely a stomach virus and not influenza.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:37 PM

"Flu logic" goes like this - "The one year I got the shot, I was sicker than ever before." Reminds me how some people view a math problem.

"If you have 4 pencils and I have 7 apples, how many pancakes will fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats."

See? Logical. Who is not getting it?
Old 12-30-2013, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractor1971 View Post
"Flu logic" goes like this - "The one year I got the shot, I was sicker than ever before." Reminds me how some people view a math problem.

"If you have 4 pencils and I have 7 apples, how many pancakes will fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats."

See? Logical. Who is not getting it?

I told my kids the flu shot will immunize them from zombie bites.

Can't beat that logic. So we all got it this year.

My youngest thinks horror movies are hilarious, especially zombies. He's been addicted to The Walking Dead since he was 6 years old.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
I drove from Regina on Friday about halfway back I started to feel kind of queasy in my stomach by 6:30 I was in bed under 3 blankets shivering uncontrollably for 6 hours this was followed by two days of diarrhea I have not eaten since Friday at Noon.

I would say no!

Flu symptoms include:

A 100F or higher fever or feeling feverish (not everyone with the flu has a fever)
A cough and/or sore throat
A runny or stuffy nose
Headaches and/or body aches
Chills
Fatigue
Nausea, vomiting, and/or diarrhea (most common in children)
Old 12-31-2013, 07:23 AM

Quote:
I think the "shot" is developed to combat only one strain --say H1N1, so it gives pretty good protection against that strain...however, if you come into contact with
H1N2....you are not protected.
Wrong. The shot is to fight several strains. They are, however, forecasting which strains and sometimes aren't right. They may not be 100% but they are a damn sight better than 0% right.

Remember that a lot of the flue shot is not for yourself, but for those vulnerable around you... the babies, the children, the elderly.

I laugh at all those (and nurses are especially bad) "I got the flue shot and got sick afterwards". Yup. And you were going to get sick. You probably didn't get sick from the flue's in the vaccine. Hell. You probably had the common cold rather than the flue. Two different things.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:35 AM

"Spanish" flu killed millions.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:11 AM

To start some vaccinations are necissary.
But I started looking in to vaccination issues. Some don't Cary any weight but others do. Look in to the 08 h1n1 vaccination causing narcolepsy in children. Looks like some solid facts there. There are many cases here in Alberta.
I think the risk reward system is a good way to look at all vaccinations.
I don't think we need as many as we have. Kids should not have a chickenpox vaccinations. IMO. They should have chicken pox parties.
Brad