Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Bounties have been tried and in the end they didn't solve the problem.

And for the record, I don't know a single trapper who objected even though it meant a lot of wolves got killed by hunters instead of trappers.

The uneducated seem to think this can be solved just by getting lazy trappers off their butts.

I don't know anyone who works harder for their money then a trapper, except perhaps a farmer.

But I do know a number of trappers who went to work on the rigs and stayed because it was the easiest money they had ever made.
I was one of them to a degree.

I didn't totally leave trapping, but I did give up full time trapping in exchange for the easy money of the oilfield.

Maybe the solution is to pay trappers the same wages oilfield workers get.
Then everyone would want to be a trapper, and all trappers would be the hardest working guys on the planet.

Hey, I like that plan. Lets make trappers public employees.
Clearly some folks here already think we are public employees.

There could be trappers unions, trappers pension plans, trappers severance packages! Health benefits for trappers, government subsidized housing for trappers.

We could make trappers into wanna be postal workers.

That ought to work.

But before we do that iam offering SG a free tour of our line, and he has to pull his own weight and trap at least one wolf. There's also a 4 mile strech of trail that needs some serious chainsaw work, its all part of the deal.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:53 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
Do you honestly believe trappers would sit back and watch SRD walk in with other trappers onto their lines to do wolf management?
And where do you propose they find those other trappers? India? The Philippians? Perhaps the Middle East?

Or will they simply have to give the nod to oilfield works who will then leave their high paying jobs to go kill wolves for nothing?

Come to think of it, why is there a problem with wolf numbers.

There are a couple of thousand licensed trappers in this province, each one limited to trapping only the area allowed on his or her license.

But there are a couple of hundred thousand hunters who are legally allowed to hunt wolves where ever they please any time they please.

Seems to me the finger may be pointed in the wrong direction.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-12-2013, 11:58 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357xp View Post

But before we do that iam offering SG a free tour of our line, and he has to pull his own weight and trap at least one wolf. There's also a 4 mile strech of trail that needs some serious chainsaw work, its all part of the deal.

ROFL Make sure you have him clean out a few beaver sets and show him how to reset the snares. He ought to enjoy that a lot as well.

Ice water up to the elbow at -40 sure gets the blood flowing doesn't it!

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-12-2013, 12:07 PM

Talking

Listen to you guys! I think you should all take a time out; ask your Mommies to make you a nice sandwich, and have some milk and a cookie...There, don't we feel a widdle bit better?

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 10-12-2013, 12:15 PM
Banned

Quote:

Id gladly come out on my time off. Id like to see your trapping methods and maybe learn some things from you. I honestly would like to be able to see more of the trapping side from someone that has the knowledge.

And I ran chainsaw handcutting heli portable line in the foothills for a carreer right out of grade 11 for I think 4 years so im sure I should be able to figure out how to cut 4 miles of trail. Hmmm Guess it may be like cutting 20 - 30 miles of pack trail into new guiding areas much of which was done with an oxe head axe. Do I need to bring my own saws?

Funny how you seem to think you as a trapper are the only outdoor industry that works hard. Maybe I could return the trapping experience with a sheep guiding experience. You must trail in a string of horses after you have put the shoes on your string(usually 14 -16head so its not really much work) and preparing gear. Then head back in 20+ miles from the nearest road over a few days. The whole way clearing trail from the winter winds and snow. Once you get in to camp you then will need to replenish the wood supply for the next few months and enough to start the next season as well as open camp. New areas will need to be checked and new trails copped and marked as well old areas will need to be scouted and these trails also cleaned. All your gear to clear trails will need to be required to be carried on your saddle horse. Axe on one side of your saddle, chain saw in the rifle scabboard and gas oil and tools in your saddle bags if you take a saw. You must be able to climb a mountain every day. Be up at 4am to catch horses and saddle them all. Hunt all day getting back after dark. Then you will need to take care of the horses prior to eating or anything. If they require doctoring you will be required to take care of that as well. Shoes will need to be reset at intervals and you will be required to replace any that come loose or are lost. Then you must repeat this every day. You will be required to spot judge and harvest a ram feild dressing and caping then pack it back to camp. All the while taking care of a guy that is oiut of shape and has only ridden a horse twice if your lucky and keep him safe a few days ride back from the nearest road.

Im not sure but ill probably do ok at pulling my own weight!!! Hope the offer is still available this winter!!!!

Last edited by sheepguide; 10-12-2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly View Post
Listen to you guys! I think you should all take a time out; ask your Mommies to make you a nice sandwich, and have some milk and a cookie...There, don't we feel a widdle bit better?
I sure could use a sandwich right about now!
Old 10-12-2013, 12:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
ROFL Make sure you have him clean out a few beaver sets and show him how to reset the snares. He ought to enjoy that a lot as well.

Ice water up to the elbow at -40 sure gets the blood flowing doesn't it!
Probably about the same amount of fun as guiding a late sheep season horse hunt. Saddling horses at -20. Trying to pack horses with bare hands and frozen ropes. Standing on a wind swept mountain trying to glass and then harvest something and have to cape and debone in this. Proccessing it 100% in the elements. Riding the first hour each time you get on your horse in a frozen leather seat. Holding ice cold bits in your bare hand to warm it so as to not jam a frozen one in a horses mouth. Spending from day light to dark out side with only the clothes on your back for any additions warmth as for the most part you out of tree line and a fire isnt always an option!

LOL yep poor trappers if only everyone could be as tough!!! I give them a ton of credit for what they do but god there are a couple here that seem to need a big S sewn on their buckskin coats!!
Old 10-12-2013, 12:25 PM

I don't doubt your abilities one bit SG. But blaming the trappers for not trapping wolves is kinda like me blaming sheep hunters why I've been eatin tag moose soup for the past few years.
Arguing on internet is all gettin us nowhere fast iam thinkin
Old 10-12-2013, 12:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
I don't doubt your abilities one bit SG. But blaming the trappers for not trapping wolves is kinda like me blaming sheep hunters why I've been eatin tag moose soup for the past few years.
Arguing on internet is all gettin us nowhere fast iam thinkin
I dont blame trappers. Sure the ones that chose to just hold a line and not trap I have little respect for.
Trapping is a huge tool just like hunting in wolf managment. and if trappers are unable or unwanting to help with this then I feel SRD should step in and say we need someone in here to help with this and if you do not have the means and cant do it then we will be coming in with people that will and tackling the problem.

On the wolf population side of things do I feel trappers are "screwing the pooch"? Dam rights. Do I blame them when there is no money in it for the effort? Nope not at all. Do I expect trapping to be utilized in wolf managment. Darn rights whether its the line holder or just a lic. trapper willing to do this.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
An old trade secret from stories told in NE BC when I started up there by the old time outfitters!!

Clearly a case of old eskimo methodology meets "Mrs Robinson"
Old 10-12-2013, 01:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5swedeforelk View Post
Clearly a case of old eskimo methodology meets "Mrs Robinson"
I guess.
Old 10-12-2013, 02:58 PM

Default wasted time

Well i must say if you could only harness all the effort you're putting into this thread and direct at the wolves, me thinks you may just have a few less to deal with IMO, how someone can be so long winded i'll never know,and not really accomplishing anything except to " STIR THE POT".
Old 10-12-2013, 03:08 PM
Banned

So which post number was yours that contributed to the topic??

I'd rather be long winded and stick by my thoughts and ideas than be short winded and to scared to discus a topic other than a personal comment towards someone as you and a few others have shown.

Lets see your thoughts ideas and numbers. Then people can discus how you come across.

PM's are welcome. Ill gladly discus your dislike for my tactics there.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:41 PM

Default Thoughts and Ideas

Quote:
So which post number was yours that contributed to the topic??

I'd rather be long winded and stick by my thoughts and ideas than be short winded and to scared to discus a topic other than a personal comment towards someone as you and a few others have shown.

Lets see your thoughts ideas and numbers. Then people can discus how you come across.

PM's are welcome. Ill gladly discus your dislike for my tactics there.
Key words here are " Thoughts and Idea's" you do not offer concrete evidence that a) wolves are the main problem b) if more access was given in certain areas where ungulante numbers are very high to help maintain numbers a little lower, the predators will be where the game is and some areas elk numbers are so high,thus increase in GRIZZ,BLACK BEAR, WOLVES AND COUGARS, there were so many elk they had a special season to harvest some more cow elk, this all came about from elk ruining hay,wrecking fences and motor vehicle collisions, so the land owners requested this hunt, but you know what when myself and brother tried to get access to land to hunt all i got was we have locals on land and they are there til there done, so how can we as sportsman (trappers included ) help if this is the response we always run into, cry for help, but when help comes knocking, turn your nose up at them because their not locals BS IMO, so as long as you have areas that allow these herds to grow and grow with no means of controlling numbers then there will always be an abundance of predatory animals to take advantage, this is the case in the southern part of Alberta,in my area anyways, so if you allow herds to grow super large,then you have to be willing to put up with the increase in the predators that prey upon the prey.P.S. i am in no means a professional in this area, or topic, just common sense,how nature works increase in PREY, increase in Predators.And i am a member of this foroum as well and find it a invaluable tool for almost anything and everything, and appreciate all the advice and enjoy reading threads, freedom of speech and this was a IMO comment i made, just stating the facts the way i see them, Thanks SG.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:26 PM

This thread is great, wife keeps asking what's so funny?

357xp used to be my hero, cause he shot 6 wolves, but.......
SheepGuide, you are my new hero, i never knew there was someone on this forum with such vast wisdom and has done everything.

Well i better be headed to my shop and continue preperation for the upcoming wolf trapping season.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:51 PM

Talking

Five hours since Sheep's last post? He must be having a nap! No wonder...this thread is exhausting to read, let alone always posting on it!
I'm just poking fun...Time for another sandwich!

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 10-12-2013, 09:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim summit View Post
This thread is great, wife keeps asking what's so funny?

357xp used to be my hero, cause he shot 6 wolves, but.......
SheepGuide, you are my new hero, i never knew there was someone on this forum with such vast wisdom and has done everything.

Well i better be headed to my shop and continue preperation for the upcoming wolf trapping season.
Funny thing im the only one that posted any studies or facts that showed the same as what I said LOL

And ive done what ive done. Anything you dont believe that ive stated pop me a PM and im sure I can put your mind at ease!

Im up for a chat anytime. Instead of bringing me up all the time Jim maybe try and post some facts or something that contributes on the topic then pop me a PM and we can chat about what you think I have and have not done!!

Thead would probably die if you guys could stop day dreaming about me!!
Old 10-12-2013, 09:55 PM

Default on the money

x2
Quote:
And where do you propose they find those other trappers? India? The Philippians? Perhaps the Middle East?

Or will they simply have to give the nod to oilfield works who will then leave their high paying jobs to go kill wolves for nothing?

Come to think of it, why is there a problem with wolf numbers.

There are a couple of thousand licensed trappers in this province, each one limited to trapping only the area allowed on his or her license.

But there are a couple of hundred thousand hunters who are legally allowed to hunt wolves where ever they please any time they please.

Seems to me the finger may be pointed in the wrong direction.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:05 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Funny thing im the only one that posted any studies or facts that showed the same as what I said LOL
Funny thing you did not remember post number 95 or post number 136 LOL

Time to give it a rest.

Thread closed.

George Bernard Shaw
Closed Thread