Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-07-2014, 10:46 AM

Default Marten Box Dimensions?

I am making some marten boxes for Belisle #120 traps and would like to know the inside dimensions. I will be using 3/4" sides and 7/16" front and back. also what length should I make them?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigs View Post
I am making some marten boxes for Belisle #120 traps and would like to know the inside dimensions. I will be using 3/4" sides and 7/16" front and back. also what length should I make them?
Here's my specs for 120 Belisle trap boxes used on horizontal or leaning poles.
Dimensions: For 5/8 or 3/4 inch lumber or plywood
Bottom 8” x 18”
Top 8” x 14”
Sides 6 ½” x 14”
Inside Dimensions
Width: 6 3/4 inches
Height: 6 1/2 inches

I use long spring slots on my boxes so that with the trap set close to the bait the animal will be centered to the trap and stable when it fires the trap resulting in consistant humane neck/thorax catches. Whereas if set far in front of the bait the marten may jump a pan trigger, or get thru standard wires, and trigger the trap with its hind quarters resulting in a poor inhumane catch.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:13 PM
Banned

Here's a scan of one from the trappers manual. When I first saw it I wondered how many guys designed them like this with the wire cloth on the back.

Old 02-07-2014, 01:04 PM

Default marten boxes

I would consider thinner plywood 1/2" to make them lighter to carry. Also consider triangular shape similar to Halfords plastic design (smaller screen end then they are stackable.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:28 PM
Banned

6.5"x8" out of 1/2" plywood

The 8" is your top and bottom that sit on top and under your side walls.

I like a 16" long box with the dog pointing in. Had real good luck with clean catches.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:36 PM

I've made them both ways! Square and triagular. I like the triagular ones better as they are stackable!

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 02-07-2014, 02:22 PM

what holds the trap in place when it is upside down?
Old 02-07-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
what holds the trap in place when it is upside down?
Just bend the springs up it stays in no problem
Old 02-07-2014, 03:41 PM

Here's a home made stackable box that will accomodate a 160 and 220 size trap as well as a120:

Sides template;
Front 10in Back 6in Length 14in
Top and Bottom:
11in Front 7in Back
Old 02-07-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
Here's a home made stackable box that will accomodate a 160 and 220 size trap as well as a120:

Sides template;
Front 10in Back 6in Length 14in
Top and Bottom:
11in Front 7in Back
Now that is a nice design. I think I might build a few of these. I like the tarp options.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:44 PM

the nice thing about having the longer bottom. as in tomcats pics/dimensions is its easy to nail too the tree.

the same can be done with tapered boxes.

boxes made from OSB get chewed up pretty fast. plywood is better, but milled lumber is the best. as far as wood goes. the chewing critters are attracted by the glue.

i stopped making them out of wood and have went with the plastic boxes/newspaper tubes as the bears keep ripping them down and ruining them. with the plastic, they can be just nailed back up.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braggadoe View Post
the nice thing about having the longer bottom. as in tomcats pics/dimensions is its easy to nail too the tree.

the same can be done with tapered boxes.

boxes made from OSB get chewed up pretty fast. plywood is better, but milled lumber is the best. as far as wood goes. the chewing critters are attracted by the glue.

i stopped making them out of wood and have went with the plastic boxes/newspaper tubes as the bears keep ripping them down and ruining them. with the plastic, they can be just nailed back up.
Braggadoe , are you using actual news paper tubes ??? If so where are you getting them and how much is the cost ,,,, I've been buying the green poly boxes from Trapper Gords and Halfords ,, but they are sure costly .. I like the plastic but need to find a cheaper suply outfit . Thanks.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:13 PM

I could write a book on marten boxes. My conclusions? Buy the plastic boxes, $15 is cheap when one marten pays for 8 boxes. You can stack 40 in a tobbogan and pick up 20 at a time, try that with plywood. I move my sets every two - three weeks so grabbing a plastic box is easy. I nail lath to a tree and slip box under it so I never have to nail it down. Slip in and out in seconds. My buddy showed me some "pins" he made from #9 wire that he uses to hold vertical set traps in place. drills a couple holes in the front of the plastic boxes and slips pins in down through springs to hold in place. I find with wood lath in place the trap jaws don't slide like they can on the slippery plastic bottom of the box.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MJ M8.jpg (14.2 KB, 100 views)
Old 02-07-2014, 11:48 PM

that looks like a choloraplast cubby. the lathe idea is great. you should write a book!!

the news paper tubes start at about half price 7.50$. the standard's fit ruby 120's perfect. have to slit the corners if useing belise. the king's work for all 120's

http://continentalproducts.com/motor_tubes.php

[IMG][/IMG]

even after a bear chews and stomps on them. nail them back up, they still work. not so with wood.

very stackable, and light.easy to transport as brian says. i use both the green/grey boxes from gords and the tubes.

[IMG][/IMG]

the only wooden ones i built lately where doubles.

[IMG][/IMG]

they where big and heavy. built 24 last summer and positioned them at hot spots in august using the quad,boat, helicopter. by november half where destroyed before i ever put bait in them. bears are big problem for me.

Last edited by braggadoe; 02-07-2014 at 11:57 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:38 PM
Banned

How are you guys putting these boxes together......screws, nails, air nailer? I have to make some weasel boxes and I was wondering.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
How are you guys putting these boxes together......screws, nails, air nailer? I have to make some weasel boxes and I was wondering.
I use nails and or drywall screws in association with a wood clue.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:29 PM

I cut out 36 marten boxes today from 7/16 particle board. The inside dimensions are 6.5" X 6.75". I assembled one with a power nailer and it seemed to work fine.

Thanks for all your help.