Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-28-2007, 03:04 AM
Banned

Default Fishing Lines

What kind of lines do you all use? I mainly use fireline and vanish transition. The fireline I find has amazing strenght, great for fishing where you get snags lots...most of the time you can just rip whatever you have off the bottom But if it does break, it sounds like a shotgun going off, lol. Vanish is awsome because its so clear, strong, and abrasion resistant, hardly any memory aswell.

Not a big fan of mono, seems like it has tons of memory and always gets tangled on my reel. So what do you use?
Old 05-28-2007, 06:36 AM

Default magna thin

I have recently put on Magna thin line on my reel and it sucks. It knots up and is very stiff. Maybe it was designed for bait casting reels. I guess I will try some fireline. I have always had good success with the regular XL line.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:45 AM

Default Fishing Line

I mainly use Power Pro Line round like mono casts smoother and further as well as you can't break it with your fingers you have to use a knife or cutters of some sort I swear by it.

Sage..
Old 05-28-2007, 01:03 PM
Banned

Oh yeah, powerpro i forgot about...I used to use it a year ago lots, for everything, just kind of switched to fireline because when you cut it, it doesn't go all unraveled or whatever where you cut it. Plus fish can see it better than fireline I find.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:30 PM
-NDN-

I use Berkley XL as my main lines, its cheap, it works, and breaks free of NSR snags, unlike the rifle shot breaks YOU have from snags. And for the bigger species, Berkley Big Game. For Flylines i use Scientific Anglers Ultra 4 in all my line weights.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:16 AM
Gamehunter

Smile Fishing Line

I am going to try stren dura tuf extreme durability -toughness it's 12lbs. test clear with the dia. at a whopping .o16

I am also going to try silver thread {AN40 } copolymer high knot strenght ,Strong,limp,supple famous small diameter {dia.0147} 17 lbs this is going on my Pike - big fish reel.No fish should get away i have it coverd
Old 05-30-2007, 05:22 AM
Banned

I have heard great things about silver thread, just haven't got around to trying it yet. And lol NDN..what I might start doing is using 2 pounds test lighter fireline as a leader, that way when I get snagged, it breaks off there, instead of taking most my spool
Old 05-30-2007, 05:30 AM
-NDN-

you trip on one of my PT tour edition rods again, and there will be alot more than line breaking. and a looooooong walk home

Holy, i havent heard anyone say the word Silver Thread in a long long time. Used to use that stuff, and loved it. Knots held really well for me. But like i said, ive switched long ago, and am a trilene XL user, cheap, it works, and my systems seem to like it.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:32 AM
Banned

lol, it was a pure accident, didn't even trip on the rod my foot caught the 20 yards of line you had spewed across the grass when I was stepping over it, lol You however kicking the plazma into the dirt twise wasn't tho lol

I hate, and i mean hate trilene XL and XT with a passion, both rats nest up horrible for me, have one of the worst memory's iv ever seen, and is thick for the pound test.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:33 AM

I used Stren Dura Tuf for the first time this weekend at Slave and was pretty impressed. It is more resistant to nicks than any other mono I've used. I was using 6lb test in the low vis green. It didn't seem to have as much memory as some of the other monos. I think Stren may have discontinued it though because the Sherwood Park Wal Mart was selling it for $2 a roll last month.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:09 PM
Gamehunter

Smile Yes Very True

Quote:
Originally Posted by -NDN- View Post
Holy, i havent heard anyone say the word Silver Thread in a long long time. Used to use that stuff, and loved it. Knots held really well for me.
Yes i like to take the road less traveld
Old 05-31-2007, 06:32 AM
-NDN-

Nothing wrong with Silver Thread, cuz Babe Winkleman used to use it

Does anyone remember that line from waaaaaaaay back, that it had a Shiny Gold color to it on your spool, but off the spool it was a crazy shade of clear/blue. Cant remember for the life of me, but it was Highly invisible in water.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:28 AM

Default Trilene XL

I too use Trilene Xl in 4-8-12lb lines,for general fishing,Big Game for laker's,and fireline on my baitcaster.The best line IMO ever made was berkley's eXtra thin which they Discontinued when the went to the select and tourney line's.I used vanish 2 yr's ago and found it to be a good limp,low memory line,but seemed to stretch and break easy in the hotter day's fishing.I did use vanish this winter on the white's on sylvan and had no trouble with it.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:15 PM
Banned

hey livesnorth, that discontinued line..it was light green wasn't it? Tried it too and loved it, why do they always discontinue the best lines then put out garbage (IMO) like XT? Love that vanish transition though!