Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-10-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAlbertan View Post
Hi AO - I too am having trouble referencing the locations using the coordinates as they are given.
Can someone help?
If you have an Iphone, there is an app called prairie locator, DOWNLOAD it very helpfull
Old 09-11-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7mm View Post
If you have an Iphone, there is an app called prairie locator, DOWNLOAD it very helpfull
Can't find it.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
"Release days are variable through the season, and hunters are discouraged from “following the truck” as this is both unethical and can be a safety hazard to release personnel."

What a shame that this statement has to be written and that people are doing this. The word hunters is realy not the right word here. It is a sad situation we have when this is hapening.

Pete
PICS in my mind ,release truck going down the ole gravel rd with 200 trucks full of good ole boys and ther dogs behind them , HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Old 09-13-2012, 12:36 AM

Default bird spotted in fort mac

i spotted one to day in fort mcmurray beacon hill area.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:41 PM

make friends with someone who has dogs & take some extra water so you can give some to the dogs-theyre just like kids & a lot of fun !! I've hunted pheasants before without dogs & did ok , so you shouldn't have any trouble . you'll get to know some people & go along with their group . good hunting !
Old 09-15-2012, 05:10 PM

on an I-phone get the app "Landtracker Pro" it works great for me.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:47 PM
Administrator

The Frank Lake Release Site information has now been posted on the Upland Birds Alberta 2012 Release Site website. http://www.albertaoutdoorsmen.ca/pheasant/
Old 09-22-2012, 08:38 AM

If your without a dog you may as well stay home. I cant imagine trying to chase down a wing shot rooster in a cattail patch.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:58 PM
Banned

The premier threw away over a hundred thousand dollars of Alberta tax payer's money for empty hotel rooms at the Olympics.

That six digit figure that was pixxed up the wall could have bought a lot of pheasants. Pheasants that could have been purchased from private producers.

Even Conners Creek by Barrhead could have had a pheasant stocking this year with all that money thrown away.

I did not vote for her.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Miskosky View Post
The Frank Lake Release Site information has now been posted on the Upland Birds Alberta 2012 Release Site website. http://www.albertaoutdoorsmen.ca/pheasant/
Any numbers on how many birds will be released at these 2 sites? Since they are close and I was curious I dropped by both parking lots to have a look. None of the guys I spoke to reported seeing any birds. One fellow I spoke to said that he was back because he shot 2 just outside the parking lot yesterday. I'll go out tomorrow but I will go for huns instead.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:28 AM

Default Parking Areas Marked?

Hey Gents

Are the parking areas at the release sites marked? I am sitting at what I think Namaka site but don't see any markings. Anyone have a hint where the "designated" parking area is. GPS coordinates seem to check out.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:26 PM

Default Release plans?

As I could not find an email address for UBA I am posting my question here...has the new pheasant release program ended for this season? I have heard rumors through some hunting friends that last weekend was the last drop for Bigelow, I myself hunted the south end of Namaka ( realizing it is a minor release point) on Monday and saw no evidence of birds. I understand that it is not feasible to release up to closing day however with almost two weeks left to go it appears that a long day trip to Taber may be in order...Again my friends and I greatly appreciate UBA stepping in this year and the communication has been great just trying to figure out which general area of the province to hit this weekend to give the dogs one more treat day ...thanks..
Old 11-15-2012, 06:17 PM

I have heard that same rumor a few times.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:34 PM

I personally have been really disappointed. I've been to the Brooks/Bassano sites numerous times and my GSP has yet to point a pheasant at them. We nailed one wild one elsewhere and he's found every sharpie at the designated sites.
Plenty of evidence of birds at Millicent.... only a couple tracks at the other sites. Quite a bit of predation I've noticed too.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robson3954 View Post
I personally have been really disappointed. I've been to the Brooks/Bassano sites numerous times and my GSP has yet to point a pheasant at them. We nailed one wild one elsewhere and he's found every sharpie at the designated sites.
Plenty of evidence of birds at Millicent.... only a couple tracks at the other sites. Quite a bit of predation I've noticed too.
We have had pretty good outings at all of the Bossano/Brooks sites west of the aqueduct (except Bobby Hale, we try to avoid the guy in the green Caddilac).

We are hunting with a lab though
Old 11-27-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrsmatth View Post
We have had pretty good outings at all of the Bossano/Brooks sites west of the aqueduct (except Bobby Hale, we try to avoid the guy in the green Caddilac).

We are hunting with a lab though
2 Labs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pheasant Carlos Cash.jpg (59.7 KB, 21 views)
Old 11-27-2012, 10:24 AM

I don't know if it is just my luck but it does not seem like there have been many birds released down in the Raymond and Magrath area. I have been out a ton and have shot a quarter of the birds of last year and most of the birds shot were wild. Anyone else have the same experience? Last year was fantastic.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:36 AM

Default Thanks UBA

My son and I hunted the release sites eight or ten days this year. We got our limit all but one day. We have two good dogs a lab and a 20 month old GSP. The young GSP really came into his own this season and is becoming a bird finding machine. We found a welcome difference this year at the release sites. Thank you UBA, I hope you are resonsible next year for the release program.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:22 PM

The day of the picture Chomack posted, a father and son worked for two hours in the same field we were in prior to us getting there, they had two Brittanies. We walked into the same field and flushed 7 birds in 20 minutes, it was all just a matter of being in the right place at the right time. They would have left thinking there were no birds there as well if we hadn't shown up. You just have to get out there and find them.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbg498 View Post
My son and I hunted the release sites eight or ten days this year. We got our limit all but one day. We have two good dogs a lab and a 20 month old GSP. The young GSP really came into his own this season and is becoming a bird finding machine. We found a welcome difference this year at the release sites. Thank you UBA, I hope you are resonsible next year for the release program.
Which release sites? I have spoken to a friend who found them to be bare as well. I have a 3yr old GSP who is excellent, you can ask anybody who has hunted behind him. When hunting with labs they never get a chance as the birds are already pointed before the lab gets a chance to find them.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by podman View Post
Which release sites? I have spoken to a friend who found them to be bare as well. I have a 3yr old GSP who is excellent, you can ask anybody who has hunted behind him. When hunting with labs they never get a chance as the birds are already pointed before the lab gets a chance to find them.
Jokes aside about the dogs (my next one will be a GSP as I would like to run both), I think it is just a matter of being in the right places at the right times this year. It is after all...Hunting.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:24 PM

Default Pheasant release sites

The one release site that I live close to ... I reckon that it only had birds released twice this year on it for whatever the reason. The previous four years the birds were stocked weekly for six weeks .. IMO.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:44 PM

Default thanks UBA

I had a pretty good year for pheasants, only skunked a couple outings and still had a great day. I truly love the hikes and just being out there. It was my son's first year hunting [he's 13] and he bagged his first bird on his first shot. I think he's hooked. We hunt without dogs, just try to think like a pheasant and leave no grass blade unturned. You will be suprised what 10 dogs and hunters have walked over. I love to watch dogs work for the wiley pheasant, maybe one day we will get a pointer, but nothing beats 6 to 10 miles of hiking, keeping your eyes and ears open. Then the flush and cackle. UBA did a great job as well as all the volunteers, hopefully they continue into the future. Thanks for keeping a tradition alive for my son.