Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-02-2010, 04:55 PM

Default Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather

I had a chance to handle one of these in 30-06 Yesterday. While the stock was a little on the "obese" side, what a great rifle. The fit and finish were top notch, the bolt butter smooth, and the stock plenty stiff. If I were right handed I might have bought the thing right there. A set of Leupold DD low mounts and a fixed 6X Leupold would make this a go anywhere do anything lifetime rifle. For the budget conscious shopper, this as a single big game rifle in the safe amortized over 25 years of hunting would be nothing short of a bargain.

-Billy Molls
Old 01-02-2010, 05:09 PM

How about tossing that into a McMillan and then you would be set...think of all the money you would save having one rifle. That extra cash could go towards hunting trips.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3589 View Post
How about tossing that into a McMillan and then you would be set...think of all the money you would save having one rifle. That extra cash could go towards hunting trips.
I hear ya.

-Billy Molls
Old 01-02-2010, 05:11 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I had a chance to handle one of these in 30-06 Yesterday. While the stock was a little on the "obese" side, what a great rifle. The fit and finish were top notch, the bolt butter smooth, and the stock plenty stiff. If I were right handed I might have bought the thing right there. A set of Leupold DD low mounts and a fixed 6X Leupold would make this a go anywhere do anything lifetime rifle. For the budget conscious shopper, this as a single big game rifle in the safe amortized over 25 years of hunting would be nothing short of a bargain.
Ya but if you were right handed you'd have a pre '64 model 70..

Ya, I've shot the Extreme Weather a fair bit and I too was impressed. They do offer a pretty limited calibre assortment though.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Ya but if you were right handed you'd have a pre '64 model 70..

Ya, I've shot the Extreme Weather a fair bit and I too was impressed. They do offer a pretty limited calibre assortment though.
As a lefty I thought their chamber offerings were vast!

-Billy Molls
Old 01-02-2010, 05:57 PM

My limited handling of the rifle, for the money, I preferred the Ruger. It just felt better and cost significantly less. Still would replace the stock though.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB2506 View Post
My limited handling of the rifle, for the money, I preferred the Ruger. It just felt better and cost significantly less. Still would replace the stock though.
The Rugers are great rifles, but the M70 sitting in a McM Edge can be alot lighter rifle.

I like the look of the new EW alot. Just not crazy about the fluted barrel. Shoulda been an old fashion FW contour, IMO...
Old 01-02-2010, 07:17 PM

Wish they'd left the trigger design alone also. Just executed it better from the factory...