Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-09-2018, 01:19 AM
Banned

Default Take Care of Those Cuts

I don't recall a thread on this so I figured that I'd post as a warning/reminder.

Cuts in the skinning shed are inevitable IMO, at least for me because I'm a clutz. I take them pretty serious because my knife and just about everything else in the shed aren't exactly sanitized. If I get a cut that bleeds I stop to treat it right away and any nicks that I don't notice but flare up the next day are taken care of.

A few days ago I nicked the knuckle of my thumb so I cleaned it up with hydrogen peroxide and carried on. The next day I took off the band-aide and there was a little bruising and swelling so I de-scabbed and cleaned it up a bit more. Yesterday I thought that it was improving so I just kept an eye on it and I figured that it was healing on its own because the redness/purple and swelling around the cut had gone down. This morning I woke up and I had a new red/purple spot the size of a pimple lower down towards my second knuckle on the left side. In the matter of a couple of hours it got larger and another small spot started to appear on the right side of my thumb. Needless to say I headed into the walk in clinic to get some antibiotics because I realized that something bad was going on there. By the time that I got to the clinic the red/purple spot that had appeared on the right of my thumb was about the size that you see in the picture and all of the way to the other side of my thumb.....it happened that fast!

I guess that the bottom line is that you might want to take even the smallest cut seriously.