Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-04-2009, 07:19 PM

Default red deer river fishing?????

Where are some close spots to the city of Red Deer that a guy could go fishing for a couple of hours in the evening?????

I will be working right downtown Red deer for most of June and I would love to get out fishing. I don't need secret spots, maybe just a general area I'm not familiar with the area at all. Thanks in advance.....

Mike
Old 06-04-2009, 07:27 PM

You working on one of the two major construction projects down there?

There are some nice holes near the riverbend golf course. Another place on the river near bankhead is good too. I have my favorite spot, but it's about 35-40 mins out of town and a bit of a hike.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:52 PM
Suspended User

Try going east of the Mall on the north end, North before you cross the river, turn right at Three Mile Bend and park. West of the downtown you will find Taylor drive,cross the river going northbound, take a left at the lights, and look for the Bower ponds. Gives you some access to some fishing. South of Red Deer to Penhold, go west to the washed out camp site, just before the bridge.

North on 2a will take you to the Blindman River. Pike and occasional walleye. I wouldn't eat anything from this river to eat though.
Good luck.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:25 PM

Default Thanks for the input

We are upgrading the mechanical system in the red deer professional building for midwest property management, we will be taking out a 100 ton a/c chiller and replacing it with 2, 50 ton roof top units. its a pretty awesome project. all our craning will be done on the week-ends so hopefully I can sneak away to get some fishing done. Aww hell I'll just get the apprentices working and leave dodge for awhile....!!!!
Old 06-05-2009, 10:36 PM

I'm working on the Executive Place Tower. Usually there every other Thursday. Maybe I'll sneak out in the afternoon and cast a few?
Old 07-30-2011, 10:56 PM

If you're looking for whitefish and trout, try wah-soo-wuh-hum campground near penhold. If your looking for goldeye, maybe pike and walleye, heard there's some burbot, sauger and suckers there too, try mackenzie trails area, and if you're really luckey you might catch a sturgeon. Fly fishing is supposed to be good under dickson and in three mile bend. I also heard there's good fishing were waskassoo creek meets the river.

Has anyone ever caught another sturgeon besides the riverbend one in the river
Old 07-30-2011, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boroumand8 View Post
If you're looking for whitefish and trout, try wah-soo-wuh-hum campground near penhold. If your looking for goldeye, maybe pike and walleye, heard there's some burbot, sauger and suckers there too, try mackenzie trails area, and if you're really luckey you might catch a sturgeon. Fly fishing is supposed to be good under dickson and in three mile bend. I also heard there's good fishing were waskassoo creek meets the river.

my teacher caught some down from the tolman bridge on apickeral rig and worms about 50cm big or so
Old 07-30-2011, 11:03 PM

ok theres one spot on the river in about a 50yard strech where theres everything its just down from the black bridge where theres a point in the seem there tons of fish.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:16 AM

Default new resident from B.C.

Hello to all! I have just recently moved to Red Deer from Chilliwack B.C. Where I have most enjoyed salmon fishing and Sturgeon hunting in the Fraser River aswell as winter Steelhead fishing in the Vedder River! I would really like to get back in touch with my favorite pass-time and see the different types of fish here in Red Deer! Any suggestions as to where and when to go? Please reply or send me an e-mail it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Old 07-28-2016, 11:01 AM

Default red deer fishing

was catching a lot of fish.. went there early with my kids until i got checked for not having a license... got quite the heft fine i might say

but all in all river was amzing.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boroumand8 View Post

Tough to catch stergeon with a bait ban
Old 07-28-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry789 View Post
was catching a lot of fish.. went there early with my kids until i got checked for not having a license... got quite the heft fine i might say

Pick up a license and take the kids out. Sounds like they were having a blast.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry789 View Post

Jerry where did you fish, what spot?