Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-23-2012, 10:00 PM

Default Dukan Diet - anyone tried it?

Alright

so the pop and chips aren't part of the two food groups... i screwed up.. but mcdonalds and pizza 73 were the other two.. damn

GF thinks its a good idea the two of us do a diet. I guess my home cooking has caused us to put a few pounds on over the past 2 1/2 years together.

She wants to try the Dukan diet, anyone tried it out?

5 days of nothing but protein is going to make me a complete arse, so admin, can we ban me for those days? Lol jokes aside, input would be appreciated. Thanks guys n gals
Old 07-23-2012, 10:05 PM

hahhahahahha.....first your a dead man for calling her fat.......please tell her i say hello

wait for the Wall to Wall sale and go on a pure Power bait diet
Old 07-23-2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
hahhahahahha.....first your a dead man for calling her fat.......please tell her i say hello

wait for the Wall to Wall sale and go on a pure Power bait diet
lol... chubb, I still want to be alive for the next B&G event... powerbait would kill me... just because krytonite is the only thing that kills you...

never called her fat, just fed her enough she feels that way. I'm pro at home made burgers
Old 07-23-2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slivers86 View Post
Alright

so the pop and chips aren't part of the two food groups... i screwed up.. but mcdonalds and pizza 73 were the other two.. damn

GF thinks its a good idea the two of us do a diet. I guess my home cooking has caused us to put a few pounds on over the past 2 1/2 years together.

5 days of nothing but protein is going to make me a complete arse, so admin, can we ban me for those days? Lol jokes aside, input would be appreciated. Thanks guys n gals

after 22 and 1/2 years together you will then understand she meant......Your getting Fat

if power bait isnt to your liking...how about trigger X or Yum
Old 07-23-2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
after 22 and 1/2 years together you will then understand she meant......Your getting Fat

if power bait isnt to your liking...how about trigger X or Yum
worms, minnows, bull trout, they'd all work.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:46 PM

Don't bother with diets, they only provide temporary weight loss. Best bet is to increase physical activity and have healthy eating habits consistently over the long term.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpro View Post
Don't bother with diets, they only provide temporary weight loss. Best bet is to increase physical activity and have healthy eating habits consistently over the long term.
Not true, look up the Paleo/Primal way of eating, not a diet, its a way of life. I have many friends who do it and have lost 60lbs and more in just 3-4 months. It even has recipes for goodies you would normally like. look up there books on amazon, I have them and its a great thing. You feel much better
Old 07-23-2012, 10:54 PM

I've bought the dukan books, and we will be trying it, just wanted some feedback.

I know I can 'eat good' and lose the weight, done it a million times. But my diet style doesn't meet what she needs. So I'll adapt a bit for her.

Her body can't handle brown rice, broccoli, and chicken 5 days a week

I've lost weight before in the past, just by changing bad habits - soda, chocolate, chips. Its worth 10-15lbs over 2 months.

I'll keep you guys updated, this one is gunna suck! Also - starting to ride my bike to work next week. 7km each way, short ride, but will make a difference i think!
Old 07-23-2012, 10:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Alright

You forgot the fatty-chocoholics.... another very important food group.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:59 PM

Quote:
after 22 and 1/2 years together you will then understand she meant......your getting fat

if power bait isnt to your liking...how about trigger x or yum
lol!
Old 07-23-2012, 11:03 PM

wanna go for lunch?
Slam burger north has the best burgers ever
or
Fat burger north has great burgers and the the best mini donuts in the world
Old 07-23-2012, 11:21 PM

Just cut the grains out of your diet, focus on meat, fat and veg.

Paleo diet is the way to roll, especially if you love meat...
Old 07-23-2012, 11:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 762Russian View Post

amen, I felt 1000x better just a week after starting it
Old 07-24-2012, 12:10 AM
Banned

Dieting is designed to fail.

A lifestyle change is needed.

What happened to the psycho-insanity-power-p90210 work out?
Old 07-24-2012, 01:11 AM

Me have been on a diet for over a year and done quite well . I follow it as an outline as theres many things I cant eat that I once was able to . But thats fare enough . I recently meet with my Dietician agian and she suggested me and my Family try a diet called Beyond diet . It basically lets you eat what you want , but all foods are simple foods , all single foods , no processed crap .

You still have to take time to have a cheat day or else your likely to fail at the whole thing .

Check it out , or get in contact with your doctor and get refered to your local Dietican . They are great people and have helped me very much . I havent felt so good in for a very long time , full of energy , happyier , gone down 6 pant sizes helps to .
Old 07-24-2012, 01:22 AM

I have a coworker that did Dukan with her parents. All healthy non obese people. They look even more healthy and lost not all their fat weight, but enough to make a difference in appearance, without looking sickly. Do it, try it. If it doesn't work then bulimia may be your thing
Old 07-24-2012, 02:14 AM

Quote:
wanna go for lunch?
Slam burger north has the best burgers ever
or
Fat burger north has great burgers and the the best mini donuts in the world
I prefer my home made burgers... you'll have to come by for one sometime chubb! I still owe yah one

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
Dieting is designed to fail.

A lifestyle change is needed.

What happened to the psycho-insanity-power-p90210 work out?
my knee couldn't handle insanity week 3. I tried resting and starting again but I think I need to set up a workout area in the basement with rubber floors so the impact isn't as high as on the hardwood. Will try again once I get that done

--

Also - cheat days will be 1 per week for 2 weeks, than none for a week, repeat. We have a diet plan and meal planning... hoping for the best we shall see how it goes. The Dr's and RN's at work seem to think it is a good one, and many are doing it!
Old 07-24-2012, 03:25 AM
Banned

Just check into the hospital for 2 weeks , garanteed weight loss on their food
Old 07-24-2012, 11:29 AM

Default Paleo recommended

Quote:

I strongly suggest eating paleo , depending on the individual it can be hard to adjust to however the benefits of this way of life (not diet) pay off ten fold.

If you are a hunter you are at a higher advantage than those purchasing store bought meat as the protein to fat ratio is far better in wild meat and also the fat in wild meat is in majority healthier fat (polyunsaturated)

I am type 1 diabetic and paleo along with cross fit has brought my quality of life to a higher level.

Just my thoughts

Cheers MJ
Old 07-24-2012, 11:35 AM

A friend of mine just lost 60lbs over the course of 2-3 months... Up'd his excercise daily and watched his calorie intake... Basically Cut the calories in half. He told me that it was tough at first, but a week or two into it he realized that the human body doesnt need that much to function and he feels full after a small meal now. Its important to stop eatting "Just Because".. Don't overfill your body, eat what is necisarry for energy and call it at that.

Also, Don't eat right before bed.. (I am really bad for this).. That will add weight too.

Finally... Beer hasa lot of calories..This is a tough one! It's easy to head out camping and slam 15 beer in a night, but it's not easy to lose all that weight you just gained from it.. especially if it is a consistent thing.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplayingfish View Post
A friend of mine just lost 60lbs over the course of 2-3 months... Up'd his excercise daily and watched his calorie intake... Basically Cut the calories in half. He told me that it was tough at first, but a week or two into it he realized that the human body doesnt need that much to function and he feels full after a small meal now. Its important to stop eatting "Just Because".. Don't overfill your body, eat what is necisarry for energy and call it at that.

Also, Don't eat right before bed.. (I am really bad for this).. That will add weight too.

Finally... Beer hasa lot of calories..This is a tough one! It's easy to head out camping and slam 15 beer in a night, but it's not easy to lose all that weight you just gained from it.. especially if it is a consistent thing.
follow paleo and you can eat as much meat and veggies as your heart desires before bed lol
Old 07-24-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:

x2. Primal blueprint/paleo works. I dropped 25 lbs in the last 8 weeks, feeling much better.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 07-24-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Also - cheat days will be 1 per week for 2 weeks, than none for a week, repeat. We have a diet plan and meal planning... hoping for the best we shall see how it goes. The Dr's and RN's at work seem to think it is a good one, and many are doing it!
Avoid cheat days; they are going to help you fail miserably. It is best to just absolutely cut out everything unhealthy from your diet from day 1.

If you keep having a bit of the old bad food you loved so much, you'll never be able to kick the habit of wanting to eat it. I know, trust me on this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
x2. Primal blueprint/paleo works. I dropped 25 lbs in the last 8 weeks, feeling much better.
Yep. Day 29 of Whole30 Paleo for me, I am down 22 pounds and doing the gym four days a week, an hour and a half at a time. Never been able to do that before...

Still have a long way to go, but I am enjoying the journey. On to lunch; 7oz top sirloin steak with a fried egg, side of fresh swiss chard with roasted onions and mushrooms...

Yeah, this 'diet' is so very hard

Last edited by 762Russian; 07-24-2012 at 01:40 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Avoid cheat days; they are going to help you fail miserably. It is best to just absolutely cut out everything unhealthy from your diet from day 1.

If you keep having a bit of the old bad food you loved so much, you'll never be able to kick the habit of wanting to eat it. I know, trust me on this...

Yep. Day 29 of Whole30 Paleo for me, I am down 22 pounds and doing the gym four days a week, an hour and a half at a time. Never been able to do that before...

Still have a long way to go, but I am enjoying the journey. On to lunch; 7oz top sirloin steak with a fried egg, side of fresh swiss chard with roasted onions and mushrooms...

Yeah, this 'diet' is so very hard
Yup, terrible hard! I just hate eating meat and eggs and butter and olives and avocado and such......

I will say that I probably would be down 30 lbs by now, but I do cut myself slack in one crucial area.....don't hate me, but I still have a cold beer after work. I like cold beer. Not 12 cold beers, just one, sometimes 2. But a man's gotta live too.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 07-24-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Yup, terrible hard! I just hate eating meat and eggs and butter and olives and avocado and such......

I will say that I probably would be down 30 lbs by now, but I do cut myself slack in one crucial area.....don't hate me, but I still have a cold beer after work. I like cold beer. Not 12 cold beers, just one, sometimes 2. But a man's gotta live too.
I even cut out my beer... All grains is all grains. However, I only did the absolute cutoff for 30 days. I will be allowing myself 1 (ONE) bottle of craft-brewed beer for every 25 pounds lost.
In order to make that a goal worth striving for, I have a very, very special case of beer coming my way. A 6-pack of incredibly rare Belgian ale, so rare that it has never been sold outside of Belgium before, brewed by Trappist monks in the Old style, using a method that hasn't changed in a few hundred years.

$70+ for six bottles. When I drink the last one, I will be at my goal weight of 210 pounds. And because this is REAL beer, bottle fermented, each one will taste better and better because this kind of beer ages very well, for up to five years...

At that point, I will ease up a bit on my restriction, but I will never drink anything but the best, because it's the only way to make it worth it.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:15 PM

Well, doing the math, it looks like your goal is to drop 150 lbs to get to your weight of 210? Sounds like you have a good start of it. I was at 215, now down to 190, would like to get down another 10-15. If I hit 175, that is the same as I weighed when I played football in highschool. Even another 10 lbs and its the weight I was when I got married 20 yrs ago. So, I don't mind the cold beer, and a whisky some evenings. I know, grain is Bad, but it's something I'm not willing to give up. Giving up all bread/pasta etc was a tough one as it was, but I don't regret it. Also, cutting down on the odds of developing diabetes is a plus! Good luck with your goal. TC

Old 07-24-2012, 07:00 PM

I guess it would be good to add, I'm currently 233lbs, my goal weight is 210lbs and I would like to reach it by late september. Hopefully ti works out, diet starts after this 4 days off work (can't diet when you are fishing can you???)
Old 07-24-2012, 09:42 PM

Get the book Younger Next Year written by Lodge and Crowley a retired guy and a doctor They really push exercise 6 days a week 4 days cardio 2 days weights 45 min to hour a day and hard training ( golf doesn't cut it) As far as diets go they don't push it their only comment was "Cut out eating the Cr#p"
I've started in past few weeks lost 6 pounds so far and feeling much better already and I'm 61
Old 07-26-2012, 08:10 AM

An article on topic....the original Palea diet. The article doesn't make mention of the lack of grains in their diet, but we know.....

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...rticle4441971/