Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-10-2016, 06:07 PM

Been seeing a few reports of people driving out on multiple lakes... It will be interesting to see if there are any reports of vehicles through the ice this weekend.

All you guys have to do is walk one weekend... At this rate there should be lots of ice by next weekend.
Old 12-10-2016, 06:42 PM

Was at Lac St Anne today at Yellowstone there was 12 inches of good ice but it was sure moaning and groaning and cracking good we just walked on don't need to risk it
Old 12-10-2016, 07:51 PM

12 inches at wabamun 150-200 yards out from the town pier, ice sure was snap crackle and popin' today, should have brought a extra pair of underwear with me.
Old 12-10-2016, 08:03 PM

That is unbelievable!!!!!
Old 12-10-2016, 08:31 PM

12 Inches of clear ice at stoney lake. Its was non-stop cracking today. Next weekend I might go to Garner or Floating stone.
Old 12-11-2016, 03:58 PM

7 inches on Obed Lake.
Old 12-11-2016, 05:36 PM

Default Buffalo Pound by MooseJaw

Not sure the thickness but an F150 is 45 degrees in the water at a pressure ridge.
Old 12-11-2016, 05:44 PM

Has anyone been up at Slave Lake. Seen some pics of rough ice but wondering how well it's forming.
Old 12-11-2016, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220 Swift View Post
Not sure the thickness but an F150 is 45 degrees in the water at a pressure ridge.
Saw that picture, ifish says 10 inches as of 2 days ago so might have had 12+ inches.

That is why I always wait for conservative ice. All it takes is a bad spot and your hooped. Pressure ridges are always dangerous even in thick ice, buddy shouldn't have attempted that crossing.

We almost lost a quad in what must have been an invisible pressure ridge last year. The surface looked the same as the rest of the lake but when we drove over it top bit broke and ended up in over a foot of water and had to work hard to get out.

It was quite the eye opener because there were literally no signs of it being a bad ice spot and if we had been in a vehicle could have been in big trouble.
Old 12-11-2016, 06:09 PM

About 6" at Beaver Mines today, Dec. 11.
Old 12-11-2016, 06:45 PM

Smile Chain Lake ice

Hit Chain this morning. Six inches of ice 50 feet out from north parking.
Old 12-12-2016, 01:10 PM

Heard tales of 7 inches of ice in Calgary. I would of thought more with so little snow. Makes me wonder how Mcgregor and Spray are doing.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 12-12-2016, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Heard tales of 7 inches of ice in Calgary. I would of thought more with so little snow. Makes me wonder how Mcgregor and Spray are doing.

It's was reported 8" at little bow on the 9th, if you missed it. I think I remember that travers is a little colder then McG.
I'm headed out this week sometime, and McG is on my short list. I'll likely be able to drill a few to report even if I don't stay there.

I'd assume it's gotta be good ice too. No snow and no chinooks for a couple weeks now. I'm pumped. I just hope the ice stays later then Feb this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-12-2016, 02:50 PM

14 inches on winagami lake as of december 11. Saw a guy drive out a quarter mile with a half ton pickup. Ill stay on my feet and pull my tobogan for another couple weeks.
Old 12-12-2016, 02:51 PM

I was at McGregor real early this morning looking for ling .....Milo side by the back bay (RR220)was 6-7 inches. Walked south and came across a spot that had just less than 4 inches. I wouldn't be driving on it yet. when I left at 7:30am there were a few guys looked like they were about to set up by the north dam. I'll probably hit the west side for whites tomorrow and will post an update.
Old 12-12-2016, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil69 View Post
I was at McGregor real early this morning looking for ling .....Milo side by the back bay (RR220)was 6-7 inches. Walked south and came across a spot that had just less than 4 inches. I wouldn't be driving on it yet. when I left at 7:30am there were a few guys looked like they were about to set up by the north dam. I'll probably hit the west side for whites tomorrow and will post an update.
Thanks for posting - been waiting for a McG update. Looking forward to hearing how you make out with the whites!
Old 12-12-2016, 04:35 PM
Banned

I have driven my dodge diesel on 10"s of ice without knowing it,there were multiple vehicles all bunched us so i thought it must be good.It really scared me when i punched a hole but everything seemed fine,people were driving everywhere and bunched up.Every lake is going to have diff dangers such as springs or currents,its best to talk to a local and stay on the beaten path.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:29 PM

Here's the Holy Bible on driving on Ice. It's for Ice road construction and has more info than one needs to just to drive on ice, but the more you know the better.

http://www.dot.gov.nt.ca/media/bfca0...onstr._WEB.pdf

Old 12-12-2016, 05:38 PM

Old 12-12-2016, 05:44 PM

It's worth noting that there is more to it than how thick the ice is and how heavy your load is. Moving vs stationary, speeds, lakes vs rivers and types of ice composition.
Also these minimum thicknesses are for ice roads constructed and routinely inspected. Neither of which apply to ice fishing.
Unless your going to drill holes every 100' your taking a chance the ice ahead is like the ice behind you. Risk is always involved.

Old 12-12-2016, 06:12 PM

Ice hasn't reached max tensile rating yet folks. The closer you get to the middle of the waterbody the worse it might be. I know everyone has cabin fever already but beware! Keep it shallow for a little while here until the ice sets up properly. She's cracking and groaning away like crazy so it's still forming up and making ice which means it isn't at its strongest point yet. This Christmas doesn't need a new tragedy so be safe, fish smart, and don't just run out there with your pants on fire to set up. Check as you go, check often the farther out you go and live to hook a monster another day!
Old 12-13-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSR_RAT View Post
12 inches at wabamun 150-200 yards out from the town pier, ice sure was snap crackle and popin' today, should have brought a extra pair of underwear with me.

hahaha
but glad to hear the ice is coming!
Old 12-13-2016, 04:04 PM

Couple ice shacks and ahalf ton out from town boat launch on Lac ste anne yesterday. Big pressure ridge visble about a mile out
Old 12-13-2016, 06:18 PM

8 inches on the west side of Mcgregor and there was somebody in a F150 who drove onto the ice but only went out 15 feet before they chickened out. There is a pressure ridge forming just south of the boat launch so be careful in that area, it's hard to see.

Whitefish were super slow all morning then at 1:30 it's like someone flipped a switch and the bite was on. Limited out by 4 pm
Old 12-13-2016, 07:28 PM

gull 14" at brownlowes
Old 12-14-2016, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil69 View Post
8 inches on the west side of Mcgregor and there was somebody in a F150 who drove onto the ice but only went out 15 feet before they chickened out. There is a pressure ridge forming just south of the boat launch so be careful in that area, it's hard to see.

Whitefish were super slow all morning then at 1:30 it's like someone flipped a switch and the bite was on. Limited out by 4 pm
How deep are the whites now? I haven't had a chance yet this year to get out there.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:53 PM

Coal Lake around 11 am this morning. People were driving out mid bay just out from the launch on the North End as there are tracks and frozen holes. No idea how thick. Work took me right by so I drove in and took some pics.

jpg.gif 039.jpg (49.5 KB)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 039.jpg (49.5 KB, 175 views)
Old 12-14-2016, 07:41 PM

Default Reading ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayDoh View Post

Got roasted for this same info a little while back Read the ice and make your best guess on what is safe and what is skeptical and proceed accordingly. Nothing is foolproof on the ice, be safe this year.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:44 PM

Was out on Travers today, 8ish across from the docks. Looks like a lot of people access the lake from the beach, rather than the ramps... Good to know for the future, as it was a heavy haul up the ramps with my gear.

I stopped by the Little Bow Campground this morning to check out all the fog, ice was no where to be found I did get to see a snowy owl for the first time perched on a fence post.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:11 PM

Default Nina station

So no ice at the little bow campground??? I was thinking of heading that way next few days.