Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-21-2019, 07:54 PM

Default next time you going to mcgregor

give us a heads up a couple of us locals will stop in for a visit and some bs
Old 01-21-2019, 07:57 PM

We went to McGregor on sunday about 1/2 way down east side was nice day till the wind came up didn't have much luck few small pike caught.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:21 PM

Did sylvan Lake for an hour or so Saturday afternoon off Norglenwold. About 14" of ice and almost no snow so easy access. Saw nothing on the sonar but did jig up one walleye so not much action. Truck tracks all over the place...
Old 01-22-2019, 12:37 PM

Thanks for the reports!! Appreciate them, I’ve just found Emerson lake, which is nice not far from my house! Taken the 6 year old there last couple weekends. Couldn’t get anything during the day, but come 4 we moved our tip up in about 4-6 ft of water and managed a couple fish while packing up. Kid was to interested in sledding on the hill with the other kids than fishing this past weekend
Old 01-29-2019, 03:47 PM

Shutdown Schedule came out today and it looks like I'm going to be fishing a lot longer into the season than I expected

So I better make up some more trout bait....

My recipe is quite simple. Fry any store bought shrimp in butter and fresh minced garlic. Dice them up to smaller pieces and store in the fridge or freezer.

Some tips... If you use the soft cocktail shrimp from the deli throw them in the dehydrator for an hour after cooking, it will firm them up so they don't fall off. I don't have this problem with the bulk frozen shrimp.

I sometimes get creative with FireBrine(https://www.amazon.ca/Pautzke-Brine-...rds=fire+brine) or food colorings and make some yellow, red or blue. these don't always work but occasionally it's just what the doctor ordered. These yellows are for Mcgregor tomorrow.

One final thing. It's often the pieces of bait that roll around in the bottom of my sled that produce the best, something about that little bit of rot drives trout nuts, go figure.

See ya on the ice
Attached Images
File Type: jpg troutfood1.jpg (72.9 KB, 307 views)
File Type: jpg trout 2.jpg (73.2 KB, 295 views)
File Type: jpg trout3.jpg (66.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg dyed bait.jpg (63.0 KB, 304 views)
Old 01-30-2019, 07:35 AM

Thanks for the little recipe and the tidbits of info!! I’ll be getting out with the ol’man and my son here in the next few weeks, be trying our luck st either crawling valley or McGregor! Never been to either.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:22 AM

Good luck Evil!
Old 02-15-2019, 10:48 AM

Yes I'm still here lol.
Both my laptops comitted suicide so my ability to post has been limited.

I've been on badger and McG a few times the last week and can give you a brief update before everyone heads out for the family day weekend.

Badger...
Fishing for pike has been good. Standard tip up suckers and minnow tipped jigs are producing lots of fish in the 24-36 inch class of fish. Whitefish have turned on a bit with green and white genz worms tipped with 1/2 minnow were what they were chasing, stir up some mud to bring them in and then watch your camera for the suck. lol Ling are starting pre spawn housekeeping and we managed a couple of 18 inchers near the inlet.

McGregor......
Things have been hit or miss. As usual lots of walleye and a few pike to kill the time but long periods of slow fishing made for a lot of searching for fish. Whites are fairly dispersed and the shallows are not producing like past years but there are fish there. Red and black wire worms and micro jigs/meal worm. Trout bite has died off but we are seeing them on camera still. Ling are in pre spawn and last night we saw the first signs of whites trailing ling. A sure sign the spawn is just around the corner. Glow jigs tipped with sucker belly produced best last night but they were hitting minnows as well. Our largest was 26 inches. Not a monster but the first keeper( self imposed greater than 24 inch limit) of the season for me so guess who's having fish for dinner tonight lol

Full moon Monday should make for a great weekend of fishing and temps are forecast to rise.Ill be at McG for a few days starting Monday so with any luck I'll have some stories to share.

Ps sorry can't upload pics on my phone so I will try and borrow a laptop and get some.pics uploaded. The color on the ling last night was an odd ball I've never seen before
Old 02-15-2019, 03:32 PM

Very well written report. Thank you!