Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-11-2014, 08:47 PM

WOW!!!! I can't believe how spot on this recipe is. My wife and I made it tonight and were blown away by how good it is. Everything from the spice to the sauce is just bang on! Thanks for sharing this recipe, made it with elk and ground beef. These are sure to be a hit next year at moose camp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (68.4 KB, 343 views)
Old 01-11-2014, 09:19 PM

Default Awesome

Thanks
Tried it tonight wife kids and friends LOVED them
It's the best recipe I have ever done . My son says we should make them weekly lol next time is a double batch. I tried it elk & beef
Old 01-11-2014, 10:54 PM

Made it today!!!!fantastic!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-12-2014, 10:47 AM

im going to make some today

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 01-12-2014, 11:32 AM
Banned

Mine came out great also albeit a bit dry. Highly recommend regular ground beef, my mistake was using lean ground. Still, a great recipe.

I used two ovens. One of which I set to convection bake. Don't use convection bake, it'll dry it out also.

I've always wanted one of those KitchenAid machines. Got a good reason to treat myself when they come on sale.

Last edited by gitrdun; 01-12-2014 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:19 PM

Awesome recipe thanks for sharing made some from ground beef. Delicious....
Old 01-12-2014, 12:24 PM

I just put the meat in oven

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 01-12-2014, 01:11 PM

and iam waiting waiting I hate waiting

Old 01-12-2014, 01:17 PM

I have attempted to make Donairs before and they never seemed to turn out right.

This Recipe posted is frigging awesome. The sauce is amazing. I have to figure out the cooking of the meat better but wow this recipe is just awesome.
Thanks for posting it.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:20 PM

Holy crap that was a awesome donair whole family loved them

Old 01-12-2014, 08:41 PM
Banned

Talking

Made these suckers last night! Tonight I made pizza dough and made donair pizza! Epically epic!!!!!
Old 01-15-2014, 07:54 AM

Default Conan the Donairian

Albtuff- Mrs Omega is cursing you and calling me names

Because you have changed my breakfast routine and given me garlicky Donair breath in the morning

Toasted triangle buns with mayo fried onions- fried donair meat strips- an over easy egg, cherry tomatoes and Havarti cheese and a dollop of Tzatziki

You Sir have enriched my life

Last edited by omega50; 01-15-2014 at 08:01 AM.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:06 AM

Old 01-15-2014, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post

Yeah Buddy, That looks good!!! Egg and donair meat I'm going to make those when I go ice fishing this weekend.

Albertadeer "Made these suckers last night! Tonight I made pizza dough and made donair pizza! Epically epic!!!!!"

I have been wanting to make pizza out of the left over meat but for some reason there never is any leftovers?!?!

Big Bull "Now there is… HaliDip!"

This is fantastic! Excellent take on a non-messy donair. Everybody that has tired the donair give this a go.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:06 PM

I made this tonight also. Really really good! If you work the meat really well into a good paste you can slice it right out of the oven without having to cool it and refry. The donairs I grew up with were sliced off the stack without the extra frying. They were slightly less safe but so much better taste wise.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 01-16-2014, 09:37 AM

Looks great! I didn't realize there was whiskey in the Hali-Dip recipe.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:28 AM

Made the donairs last night and turned out pretty good I think I might have overdone it a little using convection but the taste of the meat was great. I think I will try and borrow my parents big kitchen aid mixer and do a couple batches and freeze a few.

Does anyone else find the sauce a little over sweet? I tried adding more vinegar which helped but I was curious if I used evaporated milk and sugar would it taste the same?
Old 01-16-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Made the donairs last night and turned out pretty good I think I might have overdone it a little using convection but the taste of the meat was great. I think I will try and borrow my parents big kitchen aid mixer and do a couple batches and freeze a few.

Does anyone else find the sauce a little over sweet? I tried adding more vinegar which helped but I was curious if I used evaporated milk and sugar would it taste the same?
You can use evaporated milk, vinegar and sugar but it doesn't stay together that well and doesn't keep as long ether. Nor does it get as thick. You will be forever stirring.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:06 PM
Banned

I picked up some ground Elk meat today and I will whip up this recipe on Saturday with some additions I plan to make.I will post the results and I am looking forward at scoffing this donair recipe down.

FTH
Old 01-16-2014, 11:20 PM

Curse you all with your awesome recipes and my healthy diet. Oh wait wild meat is healthy... Yum yum.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:30 AM

This looks like a fantastic idea!

It is great to see so many of the fine folks here Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum mixing up some meat and making their own Donairs and such. I will keep this in mind for something different myself, though I have yet to try the recipe I shall look forward do doing so in the future.

I am wondering how it would work out with Bear. I am thinking of either mixing in Bear instead of beef with Venison and/or Elk or Moose or perhaps using some Bear lard in the mix. In theory at least, this recipe would seem to work with most any meat! Sheep? Antelope? Perhaps even small game with red meat such as Hare or Porcupine? Could be worth a try with most anything.

Interesting indeed!
Old 01-17-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbomber View Post
Curse you all with your awesome recipes and my healthy diet. Oh wait wild meat is healthy... Yum yum.
If you use wild meat and make a sauce out of plain Greek yogurt it would be a pretty decent meal!!
Old 01-17-2014, 09:31 AM

For those of you that found the sauce too sweet, there is an alternative. Try this one:

2/3 cup canned evaporated milk
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Stir canned milk, sugar and garlic powder until sugar is dissolved. Add vinegar and continue mixing. The quicker you add the vinegar and the less you mix (I usually give the spoon 3 or 4 turns around the bowl), the thicker the sauce will be. Let sauce sit for at least one hour in refrigerator before using. Eventually (hours to days later), the sauce may start to separate. DO NOT STIR IT. Simply skim the thick sauce off the top. It tastes fine, despite the appearance that all the vinegar has seeped out of it.

You should be able to get thick sauce simply by following the instructions in the top recipe. I can get mine a bit thicker than yogurt. Occasionally, I blow it and stir too much and the sauce gets thin again. If your sauce is not thick enough (I like spoons to stand up in it) follow the recipe below.

Some people omit the garlic powder, but I can't stress how important it is to only stir three or four times around after adding the vinegar. Don't be tempted to stir more! It will split and be ruined!
Old 01-17-2014, 11:07 AM
Banned

My donair meat isn't too dry after all. All that was needed was to follow ABTUFF's instructions for cooking. I added just a bit more vinegar to the sauce to suit my taste. Can't thank you enough ABT.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:07 PM

After doing a search on the Halifax Donair I see that a BBQ Joint in Halifax called Boneheads BBQ is selling
Doinkballs
Donair meatballs wrapped in bacon and then smoked and served like mini-sliders on small pita rounds

Guess what I be doing this weekend
Old 01-17-2014, 02:10 PM

Just another confirmation that this recipe is great! I do not have any wild meat unfortunately (nor access to any) so i used extra lean ground beef (70%) and ground pork (30%).
The only time i ever tried a sweet sauce was once in Yellowknife which made me throw away my supper unfortunately as i could not get past how sweet it was, so instead i made Tzatziki Sauce (yogurt, dill, cucumber).

Made 3 loaves, killed 2 over 5 days or so and have the rest in the freezer.
Excellent!!
Thank you!!!
Old 01-17-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:

Your Killing me

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 01-17-2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeforthree View Post
Your Killing me
Not my intention
Old 01-17-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Not my intention
I love those chiabottas buns (sp)

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 01-18-2014, 04:42 PM
Banned

Just put my donair loaf in the oven.I opted for elk and used lean ground beef as the elk was farm raised.I followed the recipe to a T and added a bit of meat tenderizer and some chilli flakes as well as a dash of ground cumin.
It was hard going with the potatoe masher and mine gummed up pretty fast so with necessity being the mother of invention I broke out my electric hand mixer and went to town.I did get my hands dirty via squishing and the like and I did the baseball thing as well.First flip is at 5 PM.

FTH