Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-16-2018, 07:34 PM

Awesome pics great you had your kids along.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:36 PM

Thanks Shane to you and everyone on the base. We didn't harvest anything but enjoyed our hunt. You guys put in a lot of hours there and it's appreciated.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:03 PM

Now that’s a fun time with the young fellows and a moose in the Jeep.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:05 PM

Is there a place in town to hang your meat if you bag an animal early in the hunt and want to keep on hunting your 2nd tag or with partners you went on the hunt with?
Old 12-16-2018, 08:05 PM
Banned

^Epic post Coiloil37
Congrats!
Old 12-16-2018, 08:11 PM

Fantastic photos! Nice to see the youngsters out...I notice less and less each year.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedcrazy View Post
Final totals:

Deer 357
Moose 117
Elk 10

A new record for elk taken, biggest deer harvest since 2010 which makes sense as population is the highest since then with 4 good winters in a row. Moose is around 3rd or 4th highest total but down from the past 2 yrs.

Biggest WT deer was already posted on one thread. Biggest mules around 180ish ,elk was over 300 and 2 moose around 48-50.

Hunter size and kms driven are also increasing

All in all one of the more enjoyable years working the check station for the 13.5 days I was there (daughter's hockey tournament was a nice break!) with really only one major issue.

Until next year.

S
Man that seems like a lot of moose for a area that big.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
Well the boys and I had a great time. Saw some big deer for the first time on the base and didn’t have a deer tag. It took long enough to find a moose that it wasn’t anticlimactic but early enough I had her home, cut up and in the freezer by 17:00 Friday. We took a short walk and the big girl ran out in front of us at about 150 yards. They both screamed moose like I didn’t see it, up went the rifle and down went the moose.
Turns out you CAN fit two car seats, a calf sled and a moose in the back of a Jeep. It just about broke me in loading her in two pieces but got it done. I did have to rearrange the sled after I took this pic cause it was irritating the little fella. Until next time...

I love the pictures! I hunt with a 3 & 5 year old so I can relate!
Old 12-17-2018, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsesink View Post
I love the pictures! I hunt with a 3 & 5 year old so I can relate!

I’m to the point now where if they’re not with me I don’t want to go. They’ve both come with me since they were a year old. I remember changing diapers on the trail and packing them, one in a backpack and the other on my shoulders. It was nearly impossible to shoot with them up there and they talked non stop. Good times for sure.

My little navigator, let’s face it. Someone to read the map on wainwright is nearly a necessity. His skills were not sophisticated enough but one day...

And the obligatory happy snap.

Old 12-17-2018, 10:07 PM

Default Great Stuff Coil

I remember meeting you trading a longbow for a shotgun many moons ago. I'm inspired by your post to bring my kids along more often. Someday They will be dragging you along on a hunt. This has to be one of the best set of posts I've seen all year. Take note AO! Real hardcores don't argue about the best boots, or packs, or guns etc... they are like coiloil37, they skip the keyboard war and they bring a 3 and 5 year old on a hunt.

Well done man!
Old 12-17-2018, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotter View Post
I remember meeting you trading a longbow for a shotgun many moons ago. I'm inspired by your post to bring my kids along more often. Someday They will be dragging you along on a hunt. This has to be one of the best set of posts I've seen all year. Take note AO! Real hardcores don't argue about the best boots, or packs, or guns etc... they are like coiloil37, they skip the keyboard war and they bring a 3 and 5 year old on a hunt.

Well done man!
Good post and I agree 100%
Old 12-18-2018, 12:21 PM

Congrats awsome post. I will have to take my kids along more often !
Old 12-18-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap Shot View Post
Man that seems like a lot of moose for a area that big.
There's a lot of moose there.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:38 PM

Congratulations on the moose with the kids and Jeep. It inspires me and I have teens.

My question is, is the moose draw either sex , or you have to pick by antlers?
Old 12-18-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublehaul View Post
Congratulations on the moose with the kids and Jeep. It inspires me and I have teens.

My question is, is the moose draw either sex , or you have to pick by antlers?
It is not an either sex draw. It is antlered or antlerless and uses the same priority points as the rest of the province unlike the deer draw which is its own separate draw.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:22 PM

Curious if any of the muzzleloader hunt guys have got CWD testing results back yet?

I have a couple frozen first rifle deer hanging that i would like to process or toss soon depending on the results.

Im not going to bother thawing them until i know its worth while.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:39 PM

The camp CWD tests are on the bottom of the pile and most didn't even leave the area until after the final day on the 15th. I wouldn't expect any results until Feb.

S
Old 12-19-2018, 01:59 PM

I suspect CWD results will be really late. I believe the amount of testing staff was cut significantly this year. I received my wainwright buck results on Feb 28last year. It could a long wait but still worth it in my opinion.
Old 12-19-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Well the boys and I had a great time. Saw some big deer for the first time on the base and didn’t have a deer tag. It took long enough to find a moose that it wasn’t anticlimactic but early enough I had her home, cut up and in the freezer by 17:00 Friday. We took a short walk and the big girl ran out in front of us at about 150 yards. They both screamed moose like I didn’t see it, up went the rifle and down went the moose.
Turns out you CAN fit two car seats, a calf sled and a moose in the back of a Jeep. It just about broke me in loading her in two pieces but got it done. I did have to rearrange the sled after I took this pic cause it was irritating the little fella. Until next time...

Thats awesome Coiloil. Reminds me when dad shot a small bull, we loaded it whole into our 72 Jeep Commando with the passenger seat folded up to the dash. Then packed everything around it. I sat on the right rear wheel well all the way home from Edson to Edmonton beside that hairy beast. I was maybe 14, 50 now and still remember it like yesterday. Your kids will too.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet View Post
I suspect CWD results will be really late. I believe the amount of testing staff was cut significantly this year. I received my wainwright buck results on Feb 28last year. It could a long wait but still worth it in my opinion.
Well this makes perfect sense. Increase personell to monitor and enforce new park rules and cut staff for something that borderlines on public(hunters) safety.

Puts into perspective the current governments priorities.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Thats awesome Coiloil. Reminds me when dad shot a small bull, we loaded it whole into our 72 Jeep Commando with the passenger seat folded up to the dash. Then packed everything around it. I sat on the right rear wheel well all the way home from Edson to Edmonton beside that hairy beast. I was maybe 14, 50 now and still remember it like yesterday. Your kids will too.
Hey, were the two older fellas(moose hunting) with the Ford Explorer and hitch adapted toilet seat back again this year? I loved those guys.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
Hey, were the two older fellas with the Ford Explorer and hitch adapted toilet seat back again this year? I loved those guys.
There were two old boys with a dead moose on a hitch rack attached to a Ford Explorer. They pulled out of the check station just as I was pulling in. The bio told me they were both in their 90’s. I’m assuming those were the guys your referring to.
Good on them to be getting it done in their 90’s without some young blood to do the heavy lifting.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:24 PM

Quote:
There were two old boys with a dead moose on a hitch rack attached to a Ford Explorer. They pulled out of the check station just as I was pulling in. The bio told me they were both in their 90’s. I’m assuming those were the guys your referring to.
Good on them to be getting it done in their 90’s without some young blood to do the heavy lifting.
Yes, those are the guys. Once you see that setup you never forget it.

Makes sense on their age. They were in their 80’s when I first met them? I hope many more returns for those gentlemen.
Old 12-20-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
Yes, those are the guys. Once you see that setup you never forget it.

Makes sense on their age. They were in their 80’s when I first met them? I hope many more returns for those gentlemen.
With so many priority points required to moose hunt ! how often would they have been there and what is the likelihood of them returning when they are in their 90s now ?
Old 12-20-2018, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetick View Post
With so many priority points required to moose hunt ! how often would they have been there and what is the likelihood of them returning when they are in their 90s now ?
You can pull a cow tag for the last season with what, A P1? Between the two of them they should be able to get a cow every year. Worst case scenario, two cow tags every three years. Chuck in the scattered deer tags and your on the base almost every year.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
You can pull a cow tag for the last season with what, A P1? Between the two of them they should be able to get a cow every year. Worst case scenario, two cow tags every three years. Chuck in the scattered deer tags and your on the base almost every year.
P1 is 2 years ,deer is 2 or so for a late season if people are getting more often I have been doing something wrong out there ?
So where are the stats on draw results for the base ?
I would be interested in these ? are they in with the regular draw summaries ?
Old 12-20-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
P1 is 2 years ,deer is 2 or so for a late season if people are getting more often I have been doing something wrong out there ?
Yea, P1 = 2 years. So the two offset each other by a year and between the two of them they could share a moose hunt every December. I’m referring to “them” but I could mean anyone. The wife and I do the same thing, based on my days off we pull an easy tag every year to fill the freezer with an elk or moose.

The draw results for the base are in with all the normal draw results in their respective category.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Wainwright draw summaries are with the rest of them. Under whitetail deer tab. Or under moose or elk tabs respectively for those species.

If P1s get drawn for late season antlerless then each guy would get drawn every second year. Alternate who gets it each year and they can be there every year forlate season antlerless.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:21 AM

The 2 of them spread out their tags and miss the odd year. They are legends at the check station and one of them is the reason we have the hunt on base. He has devoted his career and post retirement to AB wildlife.

I find it interesting they are never in a rush, are normally always later in the morning, always in a great mood (they always say they are just happy to be able to get out) and normally back with a moose that morning. Makes me curious what the young guys are doing going home empty...haha
Old 12-20-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet View Post
We were told by the bio’s that the deer we took in Rifle 1 that test results wouldn’t be out till at least March.......

There are no absolutes