Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-14-2018, 06:45 PM

Default info on hunting related injuries

hey all,
in an upcoming podcast, the topic is going to be hunter related accidents and prevention. As we always like to post facts and statistics, we are trying to find some reputable statistics online...... If anyone knows where to look up alberta hunting accidents, please shoot us an email or reply to this Thread. Thanks in advance!

Mike McRae
Old 12-15-2018, 05:34 AM

Default accident stats

I believe AHEIA keeps the stats you are looking for. I haven't been an instructor for a number of years, but they used to keep tabs on provincial accidents and fatalities for instruction purposes.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:49 AM

Thanks for the info. If anyone has any personal experiences with accidents or near misses you’d like to share with us, please let us know!
Mike
Old 12-30-2018, 01:02 PM

I think the gentleman who found the arrow+broadhead with his leg while walking around by the Edmonton bow zone tops the list for this years accidents that I heard of.
Old 12-30-2018, 01:20 PM

I had a HUGE white tail break my heart !!!!!
Old 12-30-2018, 02:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fickell View Post
I’ve had that one a few times. Funny but not funny

2010, archery moose, quartering to load in truck, knife through hide slip, drove into knee, got very lucky. I was well aware of the femoral artery incidents and legs were way out and still...got in a hurry. That’s a panic spike I hope to never feel again, dropped the coveralls and pants to see if I killed myself or not. Blade went all the way in on a standard 2 3/4 or 3” blade but across whole front of knee joint on angle downward to below kneecap. Legs wide and low helped. Was able to paper towel and electrical tape splint it up. Finished quartering and loading moose and drove myself to hospital. That part wasn’t fun either, as they had to prove the joint and pressurize it with blue fluid...also when dr drove his finger all the way into the hole. Nice scar and some tingle is all that’s left. Uber careful when the knife comes out now...and slow it down.
Old 12-30-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fickell View Post
Hahahaha- I’ve had that chest pain before also!
Old 12-30-2018, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline101 View Post
I think the gentleman who found the arrow+broadhead with his leg while walking around by the Edmonton bow zone tops the list for this years accidents that I heard of.

I didn’t hear about that one.... I’ll have to do some googling
Old 12-30-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post

2010, archery moose, quartering to load in truck, knife through hide slip, drove into knee, got very lucky. I was well aware of the femoral artery incidents and legs were way out and still...got in a hurry. That’s a panic spike I hope to never feel again, dropped the coveralls and pants to see if I killed myself or not. Blade went all the way in on a standard 2 3/4 or 3” blade but across whole front of knee joint on angle downward to below kneecap. Legs wide and low helped. Was able to paper towel and electrical tape splint it up. Finished quartering and loading moose and drove myself to hospital. That part wasn’t fun either, as they had to prove the joint and pressurize it with blue fluid...also when dr drove his finger all the way into the hole. Nice scar and some tingle is all that’s left. Uber careful when the knife comes out now...and slow it down.
Good story and thank you- from some other stories we’ve found, that seems to be a common theme.... wise to have a first aid kit in the field to dress the wounds from quartering animals. Good mention on the electric tape- one of the best ways to add pressure to wounds.
Old 12-30-2018, 04:07 PM

I was skinning an elk back in 2011. She was hanging by the back legs and we had it skinned down to the brisket.
I crouched down between the front legs and put the knife under the hide to cut from the brisket to the neck. While I was doing that I was yapping to my brother and not paying attention. The neck of the elk curved away from me but I didn’t follow it. I remember feeling the tip of the knife contact the hide and a little more resistance but still didn’t look at what I was doing. I gave it a little more muscle... knife popped out of the hide and straight into my thigh the the hilt. As I was squatting my thigh was compressed. I felt the tip pretty my at the back of my leg but it didn’t poke out the back.
Here’s the knife

I didn’t finish the job. Straight to the hospital, brother asking if I got the femoral. I told him no way or I would already be dead.
Doctor told me I wasn’t far off but had I hit it I would of bled out pretty quick. I was happy we weren’t back in the mountains or on a canoe trip.

I’ll talk it down as dumb as it was on here but it happened quick and I’m no stranger to knives or skinning animals. Pay attention and take your time.

Sorry for the tiny thumbnail. I can't remember how to put a large photo in a thread on the computer and tapatalk wouldn't let me insert that pic at all cause it looks like an "adult image"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0132.jpg (18.9 KB, 135 views)

Last edited by Coiloil37; 12-30-2018 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12-30-2018, 04:38 PM

Coiloil...that was horrible...you are lucky on that one...

A few years back I was field dressing a deer and taking my time with the process.....Very cold out.

There as you know, is some blind cutting that goes on and my fingers were numbing.

I finished the job but I didn't realize that the blood that was still flowing was mine.

Took 3 stitches to close a nasty finger cut.

I think sprains and strains are normal injuries on uneven ground...I always have a full roll of athletic tape in my pack...

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 12-30-2018, 05:02 PM

buried a small knife in my knee while dressing a deer. Stuck another into my left hand while doing same. numerous broadhead blade cuts to hands while changing blades. I've seen many scope cuts to the eye areas. hurt my pride falling out of a tree. met a couple guys who had been shot. Thought I was going to die a few times while goat hunting. Seen some pretty good burns from wood stoves, etc.
Old 12-30-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
I was skinning an elk back in 2011. She was hanging by the back legs and we had it skinned down to the brisket.
I crouched down between the front legs and put the knife under the hide to cut from the brisket to the neck. While I was doing that I was yapping to my brother and not paying attention. The neck of the elk curved away from me but I didn’t follow it. I remember feeling the tip of the knife contact the hide and a little more resistance but still didn’t look at what I was doing. I gave it a little more muscle... knife popped out of the hide and straight into my thigh the the hilt. As I was squatting my thigh was compressed. I felt the tip pretty my at the back of my leg but it didn’t poke out the back.
Here’s the knife

I didn’t finish the job. Straight to the hospital, brother asking if I got the femoral. I told him no way or I would already be dead.
Doctor told me I wasn’t far off but had I hit it I would of bled out pretty quick. I was happy we weren’t back in the mountains or on a canoe trip.

I’ll talk it down as dumb as it was on here but it happened quick and I’m no stranger to knives or skinning animals. Pay attention and take your time.

Sorry for the tiny thumbnail. I can't remember how to put a large photo in a thread on the computer and tapatalk wouldn't let me insert that pic at all cause it looks like an "adult image"
wow-that was a close one! thanks for the story!
Old 12-30-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingershooter View Post
buried a small knife in my knee while dressing a deer. Stuck another into my left hand while doing same. numerous broadhead blade cuts to hands while changing blades. I've seen many scope cuts to the eye areas. hurt my pride falling out of a tree. met a couple guys who had been shot. Thought I was going to die a few times while goat hunting. Seen some pretty good burns from wood stoves, etc.
Thank you for the info! We'll add it to our growing list of expreiences, seems to be some common themes we will definately talk about.
Old 12-30-2018, 05:33 PM

A bit of first aid equipment goes a long ways. Call it old school but I’ve always got an Israeli bandage with me when I’m out in the bush. Usually a bit more first aid gear but at least one of them. It’ll be better then electrical tape IMO.
Last year when we got to suffield for our elk the base guys were searching every vehicle that went through the gate. It was our turn, one guy on my side of the truck and one on the passengers side. The guy on the offside opened the glove box first. He pulls the Israeli bandage out and flashed it at the guy on my side. They both look at me and asked if I was in the military. I said no. He asks why I’ve got it then? I told him in case I need it. Old mate puts it back in the glove box and they said “have a nice day”. Search was over.

About 20 years ago I cut through the web between my first and middle finger while gutting a deer. The cut was about 3/4” long between the fingers, through both sides of the web. It would not stick shut and I didn’t bother getting it stiched even though I could see the tendons inside. A week or two into the attempted healing process an old lady/neighbor told me to soak it in epsom salts for about ten minutes a day. It took one soak, the next morning it was stuck shut and never gave me any more trouble.
Old 12-30-2018, 05:48 PM

Betting Hunting is safer than playing hockey.

Grizz
Old 12-30-2018, 06:37 PM

Buddy and I were gutting a moose and he was holding up one of the legs. We went to change the moose's position to help aid in the gutting of it and buddy let go of the leg. Well it came swinging back pretty fast and "THWACK" it cuffed him up side the head. Knocked him out for a good 30 seconds. Same moose my knife slipped and I inserted it into my left hand. Cost me 6 stitches. I guess that moose got the last laugh.
Old 12-30-2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBTUFF View Post
Buddy and I were gutting a moose and he was holding up one of the legs. We went to change the moose's position to help aid in the gutting of it and buddy let go of the leg. Well it came swinging back pretty fast and "THWACK" it cuffed him up side the head. Knocked him out for a good 30 seconds. Same moose my knife slipped and I inserted it into my left hand. Cost me 6 stitches. I guess that moose got the last laugh.
lol- sounds like you have some good stories for the old-folks home!
Old 12-30-2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Betting Hunting is safer than playing hockey.

Grizz
lol- for many im sure that is true
Old 12-30-2018, 07:28 PM

Default Radial artery cut

In about 2008 I was successful in an antlered elk draw in southern AB. I was out spotting with 2 other guys. After we spotted a herd the one hunter began his stalk. The two of us resumed our search and found a good lone bull. I Then began my stalk. As I was getting closer I ditched my backpack. I circled around and behind this bull using a small ridge for cover. With the animal facing away and the wind to my advantage I decided that I had time to backtrack about 75 yards to retrieve the camera from my backpack. I then crawled in closer to take a pic. Then I lay there and waiting and hoping the bull would stand and provide a broadside shot. After what seemed like about a half hour I thought that a whistle would speed up the process. It did work but I did not have the opportunity for a standing shot and hit the animal to far back in the chest. I then trailed him for about 1 mile before I was able to get that finishing shot.
I ran into trouble in final steps of the gutting process. The folding knife I was using was not adequate for opening the breast bone. With an unexpected slip of the blade it glanced of the bone and stuck me in the wrist. I knew immediately that I was in serious trouble when the blood began flowing in a steady stream. Other than gripping the wrist with my other hand how could I stop the blood flow. I thought of cutting one sleeve off my coveralls and using it as a tourniquet but the thought of losing much more blood in this attempt convinced me to squeeze hard and walk. As I was nearing the road in to this location my 2 friends were just arriving in the pickup truck. Were they ever a welcome sight. After convincing them that I would be alright with a tourniquet they tied a rag around my arm. We were then able to find the elk and my good friends finished the gutting and loading process. My hands felt pretty much useless by this time. One was aching from the wound and the other was severely cramped from the long period of squeezing off the blood flow.
I agreed to phone home and convinced my friends that I was well able to make the 1 hour drive home. When I arrived home a good neighboring friend was already there to hang, skin the elk and order me to get in to the doc. My wife gave me a ride in to emergency where a plastic surgeon did a great job of stitching up my radial artery. He told me that a straight cut will spasm and eventually close itself off. This one was different in that it was a raged cut that went through both sides of the artery. I feel very grateful for a good. God, good friends and an outcome of that could have ended much differently. fred
Old 12-30-2018, 08:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post

I just grabbed that knife to see, gerber folder, 3.5” to the handle which is the depth I buried it. It was an instant in and out as I was trying to pull back the instant it slipped but took being buried in my knee first before direction changed. I sent Kurt some pics, maybe he will post?

Also no stranger to knife work, butchering own for quite some time by that point and I knew the hazards of the femoral danger.

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 12-30-2018 at 08:40 PM.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:35 PM
Banned

Pics for Stinky

Old 12-30-2018, 09:21 PM

Does taking a heart attack while hunting count? I took a heart attack while hunting in Wyoming in October. I’m still having issues. Something called Dressler Syndrome. No fun at all. Good luck hunting to all. Stay safe.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHLANDER HUNTING View Post
Thank you for the info! We'll add it to our growing list of expreiences, seems to be some common themes we will definately talk about.
I carry kevlar gloves now - though I can't remember using them other than on moose, which are harder for me to do. I also carry some duct tape and crazy glue and that works (worked) well.
Old 12-30-2018, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaLuke View Post
Does taking a heart attack while hunting count? I took a heart attack while hunting in Wyoming in October. I’m still having issues. Something called Dressler Syndrome. No fun at all. Good luck hunting to all. Stay safe.
definetely does count! we were expecting many more stories about heart attacks in the field...you're the first one so far. A co-worker of mine suffered a serious heart attack in BC while hunting, and he crawled all the way out to his truck. His brother had an Ambulance there waiting for him in the parking lot that saved his life- got to the hospital quickly and had bypass surgery.
Old 12-30-2018, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingershooter View Post
I carry kevlar gloves now - though I can't remember using them other than on moose, which are harder for me to do. I also carry some duct tape and crazy glue and that works (worked) well.
im going to look into those gloves- where did you buy yours?
Old 12-30-2018, 10:27 PM

Default Not an accident...

But the accumulated damage to my knees from descending steep slopes has cost me several weeks if not months of hunting. I know have arthritis and meniscal cysts on both knees. It’s making it hard to do the ups and downs of elk hunting and I’m only 40.
Old 12-31-2018, 01:03 AM

Quote:
definetely does count! we were expecting many more stories about heart attacks in the field...you're the first one so far. A co-worker of mine suffered a serious heart attack in BC while hunting, and he crawled all the way out to his truck. His brother had an Ambulance there waiting for him in the parking lot that saved his life- got to the hospital quickly and had bypass surgery.
I remember some years ago reading an article in Field n Stream or Outdoor Life or sumthin....anyhow,it was hunting accident stats accumulated over several years in USA.
Heart attacks was #1 killer of deer hunters,falls from trees was #2.......gunshot wounds was surprisingly way down on list at #8 or #9 iirc?

Personally speaking,the worst accident I can recall doing to myself was I was crouched over ducking under some low hanging branches and when I stood up on other side I drove 1/4” branch deep into my eye socket.I fell to my knees and was temporarily blinded in both eyes from pain and shock I spose,I could feel fluids pouring out of my eye but can’t see because both eyes are watering,didn’t know if it was blood or tears or eyeball fluids,it was scary as hell.
After being blind for what seemed like forever but probably only a minute or two,my non affected eye stopped watering and I could at least see it wasn’t blood,and another 5-10 minutes of rest the vision came back in the poked eye,got real lucky,I’m sure the stick went a good 2-3” deep into eye socket between my eyeball and nose but no permanent damage,just hurt like hell and scary AF for a few minutes.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
I was very lucky. I was hunting by myself when this happened and the pain was incredible. I walked about 3/4 of s mile to the vehicle.
I made it to the Merit oil field office in Grass Creek Wyoming. They called the ambulance and one worker was schooled in first aid. They gave me aspirin and had me coughing till the ambulance got there. I was life flighted to Casper where they put in 4 stents. A week later got home to Pennsylvania and ended up back in the hospital with fluid on my heart. That actually did more damage than the heart attack. Now I wear a life vest until they decide to install a defibrillator under my skin near my armpit. Not a fun deal at all. I was in good shape,just had a bad ticker. Heart attacks run in my family. Lost 2 brothers and my father to them. All I’m saying is get checked and be careful and hunt with a friend.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:50 AM

Quote:
im going to look into those gloves- where did you buy yours?
Check your local safety supply outlet. The ones I have are Powerflex. We used them at work and now I always have some on hand. I use them for dressing game and fish. I'm bad with sharp things, lol.

Last edited by fingershooter; 12-31-2018 at 09:12 AM.