Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-13-2012, 07:55 AM

Default Hunting alone - Bears

So yesterday afternoon I was calling for elk on the ground. Shortly after a huge bear came into sight at 70 yards and was walking at a 45 degree angle back from my right. I am convinced it was coming into my elk calls. It was huge. I could not tell if it was a black or a grizz and really didn't want to wait around to find out. It didn't see me, so I immeidiately, but quietly walked the other way and then down the mountain out to my truck.

Being alone with my bow and bear spray, I just didn't want to take a chance on it coming closer to find out if nothing would have happened.

I have been within 30 yards of some big grizzlies and within 50 yards of a few black bears. Never have been charged or even had a "bad encounter" most times they look at me and continue on their way or I just leave.

Since this one was coming to my elk calls, ( or at least that's what I think ) did I do the right thing and just leave? What would you have done?

Any advice is appreciated.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:41 AM
Banned

this is why you should always buy all the tags you can

also the money goes into conservation
Old 09-13-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briverb View Post
So yesterday afternoon I was calling for elk on the ground. Shortly after a huge bear came into sight at 70 yards and was walking at a 45 degree angle back from my right. I am convinced it was coming into my elk calls. It was huge. I could not tell if it was a black or a grizz and really didn't want to wait around to find out. It didn't see me, so I immeidiately, but quietly walked the other way and then down the mountain out to my truck.

Being alone with my bow and bear spray, I just didn't want to take a chance on it coming closer to find out if nothing would have happened.

I have been within 30 yards of some big grizzlies and within 50 yards of a few black bears. Never have been charged or even had a "bad encounter" most times they look at me and continue on their way or I just leave.

Since this one was coming to my elk calls, ( or at least that's what I think ) did I do the right thing and just leave? What would you have done?

Any advice is appreciated.
No question you did the right thing.Especially not knowing for sure if its a grizz or black.Avoiding trouble when you"re alone in the bush is always the best move ,especially when it can be life threating.Only a fool temps fate.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:07 PM

You did the right thing. Live to hunt another day. Be careful going out again.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:17 PM

Yes better safe than sorry out in the bush, especially with bears.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:38 PM

Default ...bears...

You did the right thing. Here are a few methods that I have implemented into my bowhunting adventures.

To begin with, that is why I always buy a bear tag. I likely would never shoot a bear otherwise, but, in the event that I would feel I’d have to shoot one, I want to be able to do it without having to explain why I didn't have a tag and/or, why I felt threatened enough to justify killing it in the first place. (Although in the case of a Grizzly, I suppose the tag scenario wouldn't be an option anyway).

In addition to that, on my back, I carry a 12-Gauge short defender-style shotgun loaded with slugs. The scabbard that it sits in, straps on like a back-pack, and in no way hinders maneuverability with the bow or in the bush. The pistol-grip of the shotgun sits tight right behind my shoulder, and I can reach back and be armed in an instant.

In addition to that (if that fails), I always carry bear spray on my belt.

In addition to that (if that fails), I have a 16" Bowie knife sheathed on the front strap of the scabbard at my chest (for close combat).

In addition to that, (if that too fails), I have a good life-insurance policy so that my family is taken care of.

In addition to that, I am prepared to meet my maker. If I should die at the jaws of bear, I believe that God would agree that at least I had done all I could to stay alive, and that I didn’t go down without a fight!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grizzly 2.jpg (102.4 KB, 503 views)
File Type: jpg Grizzly.jpg (74.3 KB, 562 views)

Last edited by Artist; 09-13-2012 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Photo
Old 09-13-2012, 06:14 PM

You did exactly what I would have done.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist View Post
You did the right thing. Here are a few methods that I have implemented into my bowhunting adventures.

To begin with, that is why I always buy a bear tag. I likely would never shoot a bear otherwise, but, in the event that I would feel I’d have to shoot one, I want to be able to do it without having to explain why I didn't have a tag and/or, why I felt threatened enough to justify killing it in the first place. (Although in the case of a Grizzly, I suppose the tag scenario wouldn't be an option anyway).

In addition to that, on my back, I carry a 12-Gauge short defender-style shotgun loaded with slugs. The scabbard that it sits in, straps on like a back-pack, and in no way hinders maneuverability with the bow or in the bush. The pistol-grip of the shotgun sits tight right behind my shoulder, and I can reach back and be armed in an instant.

In addition to that (if that fails), I always carry bear spray on my belt.

In addition to that (if that fails), I have a 16" Bowie knife sheathed on the front strap of the scabbard at my chest (for close combat).

In addition to that, (if that too fails), I have a good life-insurance policy so that my family is taken care of.

In addition to that, I am prepared to meet my maker. If I should die at the jaws of bear, I believe that God would agree that at least I had done all I could to stay alive, and that I didn’t go down without a fight!
I either read or saw somewhere that i u use bear spray you have a better chance of not being attacked further if bear spray is used than a fire arm. So I think instread of carrying a bear gun im gonna use bear spray. If i am to die...I'd rather die in the woods in the food chain than in a car wreck