Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 01-28-2013, 10:00 PM

Default Best stabalizer

In your mind what is the best stabilizer. What is the best weight and length.

Thanks
Old 01-28-2013, 10:02 PM

The ones we use at work are 5 feet long and 350lbs with swivelling ends.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHFORLIFE View Post
In your mind what is the best stabilizer. What is the best weight and length.

Thanks
Not every shooter nor bow needs one.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:18 AM

The most popular for Mathews bows [they fit all brands] below..

mostly in the 5" or 3" for hunting

http://www.axionarchery.com/Products/Stabilizers.aspx

http://ktechdesigns.com/

Neil
Old 01-29-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Not every shooter nor bow needs one.
very true.....but some look cool!

Old 01-29-2013, 08:21 AM

This is a very detailed question.. depends on what you are doing, target, 3D or bowhunting, long stabilizers are great for accuracy not so nice to haul through the bush!...

Typically for hunting I like a stabilizer that has some weight and dampening properties. The Alpine MR2 is a great stabilizer and is customizable for weight as well. there are many ideas on this and you have to try them out to see what works for you.

I have also used an Axion stabilizer to and it works well for me.

now when it comes to target there is an article by GRIV (George Ryals IV) that helps demistify the whole stabiliser thing.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverbc View Post
very true.....but some look cool!

No doubt that why 75% of those shooting them use them. From what I have seen bows use to be balaced very well now most bows are top heavy and forward weighted on purpose by design and the use of a stabilizer has just remained a staple.

LOST correct me if I'm wrong but the only way to know the right stabilizer is to mount and shoot one and I belive most shops that have a range will let you shoot one prior to purchase.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
No doubt that why 75% of those shooting them use them. From what I have seen bows use to be balaced very well now most bows are top heavy and forward weighted on purpose by design and the use of a stabilizer has just remained a staple.

LOST correct me if I'm wrong but the only way to know the right stabilizer is to mount and shoot one and I belive most shops that have a range will let you shoot one prior to purchase.

Mike yes ..Just on the hunting aspect we let shooters decide for them selves...Myself for example..with my Mathews HeliM I didnt need much..if any of a stabilizer at all...hand shock and vibration was next to nothing and the bow balanced very well for me...

so I installed a simple 3" KTECH with the ultra light harmonic stabilizer in it...I found that it dampened the next to none vibration and make the bow stealth...its not really heavy enough to be considered a stabilizer unless the heavey weight harmonic stabilizer insert is inserted.

Most use long heavy stabs that are not needed, I have proven that to some shooters as it doesnt improve their shooting as it does for some that need it with some makes of bows...but they think its kewl...

Most Modern bows are balanced very well for hunting..

For those who dont need one or care for the xtra weight and hinderance in the bush ...A simple Sims Stabilizer Enhancer reduces noice and attaches their Bow wrist sling on nicely and it still looks kewl...lol

JMHO
Neil
Old 02-04-2013, 06:53 AM

If you need a stabilizer on a hunting compound bow you need another bow. A stabilizer for tournament shooting I can see but a hunting bow with a stabilizer is just putting lipstick on a pig. Practice, practice, practice.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmatei View Post
If you need a stabilizer on a hunting compound bow you need another bow. A stabilizer for tournament shooting I can see but a hunting bow with a stabilizer is just putting lipstick on a pig. Practice, practice, practice.
lol...lipstick would have looked good on this wild boar...

Old 02-04-2013, 11:19 AM
Banned

i only see benefit of stabs for shooting more than a few arrows, i always seem to shoot the first few just as good as any without the stab so have traditionally left it off for hunting...when your tired and jiggly from shooting for awhile a true stab does help settle the pins down, b-stinger's for me from 8" to 12" i play with and from 6 or 7 oz up to 11 oz

the little things you mostly see are simply to deal with vibrations and give a thing to screw your wrist sling on, i don't use a wrist sling so don't need anything to hunt with really

i may play more with the stabs on longer distance shooting in the wind on the first few arrows of the day to see if they make a difference to me with or without, it'd be about the last question i may have as to whether or not i would hunt with one (true stab)