Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-20-2019, 11:10 AM

Default RE: Range finder

I'm new to the forum and have a question.

I have a leupold range finder but am starting to shake so much that it hard to get the accurate range on anything, does someone make a good range finder with a built in stabilizer, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-20-2019, 11:43 AM

Depending on how bad you shake, even a stabilised model may not do the trick. You range finder already has a screw mount on it to attach to tripod, window mount etc. Finding a way to rest the Range Finder will be a bunch more effective than stabilization.

If you still want stabilised, do NOT buy Nikon, they are getting out of hunting optics. Only other one I know of is made by Canon. Never used them but have Canon and Pentax cameras with the stabilization. Tested them by taking pictures with them resting on a running vehicle hood. You would be hard pressed to see much difference with it on or off it there is much vibration but it does help some. The Suggest you make sure you play with one a lot, and preferably can return it, before you pay the big bucks for a stabilised one.

Last edited by Dean2; 12-20-2019 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12-20-2019, 11:55 AM

how's your shooting with that much shake? bipod and rear bag? with my bow i rst the range finder or binos on the top of the bow, if its long range ranging i'm doing i'll find a rest for the range finder, side of a tree. my Sig Sauer range finder will scan if i hold down the button. this helps me figure out if i'm ranging an animal or the tree behind it, etc.
Old 02-03-2020, 01:32 PM

Default range finder

yap, they come with a tripod mount for a reason..
Old 02-03-2020, 02:03 PM

Would a set of range finding binos help at all? I know I am significantly more stable holding onto them than a range finder. Can also use them on a tripod or a window mount if needed.