Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-08-2016, 09:47 AM

Default Ideas on what this could be

I was fishing with one of my buds on Friday, I pulled out one walleye then had to leave. I saw him the next day and asked him how many he pulled out. Anyway, he said that he got a fish over a meter long and looked like a muskie. He got it right up to shore, then his line gave out on him. I know this guy is no liar and I thought it was strange since we were fishing at outfall 18, across the Quesnell bridge in the north sask. river . Anyone have any ideas or comments on what it could be?
Old 10-08-2016, 10:13 AM

Probably a big pike if it looked like a musky. Probably a little light coloured because of the silt in the water.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:37 AM

Pike or maybe a Sturgen if he couldn't get a really good look at it.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 10-08-2016, 12:51 PM

Your handle is "pike4dayzz" and you're unsure of what a muskie shaped fish is in waters that contain pike and no muskie?
Old 10-08-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhutter View Post
Your handle is "pike4dayzz" and you're unsure of what a muskie shaped fish is in waters that contain pike and no muskie?
I chose this username because I manage to pull out way too many pike, and have the best luck when it comes to them.
Period.
Old 10-08-2016, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pike4Dayzz View Post
I chose this username because I manage to pull out way too many pike, and have the best luck when it comes to them.
Period.
get most of them trolling?

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 10-08-2016, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheory View Post
Probably a big pike if it looked like a musky. Probably a little light coloured because of the silt in the water.
Hey, I am just re-stating everything he told me.
I do not mean any offence to anyone.
It could've been a big pike.
Old 10-08-2016, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Nope, pull maybe 20 out at whitemud in one day, don't even own a boat.
Old 10-08-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Hey, I am just re-stating everything he told me.
I do not mean any offence to anyone.
It could've been a big pike.
Don't worry I wasn't offended nor was I attacking you. I think it's a big metre long pike that is light coloured due to the silty water. Cheers
Old 10-08-2016, 05:58 PM

The fall produces a few big pike in the NSR. This one weighed in at about 15 lbs. I also caught a 25 lb. pike in September about 5 years ago. I have seen pike that would have been close to 3 feet long follow my hook in.

Note*
The more oxygenated the water is the longer the fish will be. That's why some lakes produce shorter fatter fish while others produce long skinny fish. The river is well oxygenated so the fish are usually longer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg me.jpg (36.7 KB, 254 views)
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 10-09-2016, 10:07 AM

Cool, thanks guys
Old 10-11-2016, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
The fall produces a few big pike in the NSR. This one weighed in at about 15 lbs. I also caught a 25 lb. pike in September about 5 years ago. I have seen pike that would have been close to 3 feet long follow my hook in.

Note*
The more oxygenated the water is the longer the fish will be. That's why some lakes produce shorter fatter fish while others produce long skinny fish. The river is well oxygenated so the fish are usually longer.
Long skinny fish are old/slower growing, typically the lakes have less forage and are further north. Usually the fish has a big head and the body does not match. River fish do not have as much forage and have to expend energy in the current so usually are skinnier.
Fat shorter fish are younger/fast growing fish, usually high forage lakes and typically further south. Usually the fish has a smaller head and fat body.

Oxygen in the water has nothing to do with it.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
Long skinny fish are old/slower growing, typically the lakes have less forage and are further north. Usually the fish has a big head and the body does not match. River fish do not have as much forage and have to expend energy in the current so usually are skinnier.
Fat shorter fish are younger/fast growing fish, usually high forage lakes and typically further south. Usually the fish has a smaller head and fat body.

Agreed. Never heard an oxygen/body shape theory before.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:34 PM

Bull Sharks can live in freshwater ......... could travel all the way up the Mississippi to the Milk River here in Alberta ....... all it would take is some bucket brigade to transport these into the NSR.

Er ...... wait .......... a bucket big enough to carry a bull shark might be too heavy.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Bull Sharks can live in freshwater ......... could travel all the way up the Mississippi to the Milk River here in Alberta ....... all it would take is some bucket brigade to transport these into the NSR.

Er ...... wait .......... a bucket big enough to carry a bull shark might be too heavy.
Oh great...now it is going to be packed at "outfall 18". If they establish, might have to consider them as the new provincial fish.
Old 10-13-2016, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Nope, pull maybe 20 out at whitemud in one day, don't even own a boat.
Just curious, are ya new to fishing?
Old 10-13-2016, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post

Note*
You caught a 25 lb pike out of the NSR?

In my aquariums the more I oxygenate the water the more the fish eat, and obviously grow bigger, fatter, faster. Is the fish being larger and fatter not due to them eating more as opposed to the water being more oxygenated? Or do they play an equal role? If someone can clarify this I'd appreciate it
Old 10-13-2016, 08:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
LOL

Now that's funny
Old 10-13-2016, 10:24 AM

Quote:

Wow EZM...I got my St.Croix/Shimano rigged with 6lb...think I should go to 8lb?
Old 10-13-2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:

With all the Sharknadoes we get dont even need a bucket.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post

Just going on what I have read in the past. I will find out more and verify that oxygenation of the water is a factor in the size of fish.

And yes I have caught a 25 lb. pike in the river. I saw one that was much bigger one time too. After fishing the NSR for almost 50 years I am aware of a few big pike being caught. I bet if a person just targeted the pike in the NSR they might be surprised at how big the pike are.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 10-13-2016, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iYearn View Post
Wow EZM...I got my St.Croix/Shimano rigged with 6lb...think I should go to 8lb?
Just make sure you use a wire leader ..... should be fine ........

Funny thing - actually - they have caught bull sharks up the mississippi up as far as illinois (which is smack dab in the middle of the country and hundreds of miles from salt water).

I could just imagine what that would be like ...... reeling in a big heavy fish, in waist deep and 30 yards from shore, only to see a 12 foot ticked off bull shark emerge a few away from you ..... lol .... omg ..... time for a new fishing rod and some new pants.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Just make sure you use a wire leader ..... should be fine ........

Funny thing - actually - they have caught bull sharks up the mississippi up as far as illinois (which is smack dab in the middle of the country and hundreds of miles from salt water).

I could just imagine what that would be like ...... reeling in a big heavy fish, in waist deep and 30 yards from shore, only to see a 12 foot ticked off bull shark emerge a few away from you ..... lol .... omg ..... time for a new fishing rod and some new pants.
As Brody said, "You're gonna need a bigger boat!"

Imagine this happening at Whitemud: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcuYjDR2tSg
Old 10-13-2016, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
Just curious, are ya new to fishing?
I have really been doing it this summer, otherwise, yes but I will go out for 9 hours at a time almost every day
Old 10-14-2016, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
It's the great white in the Bow in 2013 I'm more concerned about:

http://urbananomie.com/2013/07/31/po...sive-injuries/
Lmao