Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-24-2018, 09:03 AM

Default Gun room

I was wondering if anyone can lead me in the direction of someone that can fabricate a secure gun room in the Edmonton area. A welder that does custom work potentially? I want it to be steel. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:15 AM

You best be checking if your municipal government will require you to take out a building permit, and depending on where in your house you intend on building your steel room, they could demand, and perhaps you should hire an engineer to design the supporting structure.(steel is heavy).

Think this through.... it’s a money pit and a nightmare in the making.

Where you could build a room in your barement without Windows, with metal shelving attached to the walls or rebar run through the studs, on the outer walls, and a reinforced door, with blind hinges, with a lattice of rebar added to the ceiling joists.

This way you aren’t hiring a contractor who could run his mouth, and if the room isn’t anything out of the ordinary it might not require a building permit, thus keeping your intention to build it out of the public eye, which is of higher importance than steel walls.(stay off everyone’s radar)

Declaring a specific gun room to anyone be it the municipality or using a contractor is not some of your better design features.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-24-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Where you could build a room in your barement without Windows, with metal shelving attached to the walls or rebar run through the studs, on the outer walls, and a reinforced door, with blind hinges, with a lattice of rebar added to the ceiling joists.
Chain link fence under the drywall is another way to secure a room. All depends on how much you want to slow them down, 'cause you're not stopping them.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:24 AM
Banned

Banks use a metal grid that is lightweight but made out of hardened steel for rooms that need to be secure, but don’t need to be a vault. I don’t think it is very expensive either.

Build your own gun room.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
Chain link fence under the drywall is another way to secure a room. All depends on how much you want to slow them down, 'cause you're not stopping them.

ARG
That's ^ true about not stopping them if they 'really' want in, but the harder you make it for them to get in, the more likely they will go somewhere else where its much easier to get in.

If it's done right, 'Prevention' and 'Deterrence' work together.

Selkirk
Old 02-24-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Banks use a metal grid that is lightweight but made out of hardened steel for rooms that need to be secure, but don’t need to be a vault. I don’t think it is very expensive either.

Build your own gun room.
I put up steel shelving on the walls exposed to other spaces in the house, and my loading bench is on part of the other wall. All those features are screwed to the wall studs. It’d be one heck of a tough time to get through those items from the outside. Making it Passive and effective.

At the end of the day, a cell phone security system, and the inabilility to have your movements patterned, coupled with security measures in depth, are likely as effective or better than a steel structure.

If the bad guys are intent on taking your stuff very little can really be done. Look at the Hargreaves incident a dozen or so years ago.

https://www.reddit.com/r/canadaguns/...nsafe_storage/

There are no absolutes
Old 02-24-2018, 12:35 PM

Heavy gauge steel studs 8 inches on center with a layer of 3/4 plywood on each side then use 3/4 inch security screen screwed to the plywood covered with 2 layers of 5/8 drywall and finished to paint. Door is a heavy steel firerated and well pinned with double dead bolts.Along with a good security system, Was good enough for the CFO to approve 2 years ago. Cost me about the same a a good gun vault including permits.
Old 02-24-2018, 12:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps.257 View Post
Heavy gauge steel studs 8 inches on center with a layer of 3/4 plywood on each side then use 3/4 inch security screen screwed to the plywood covered with 2 layers of 5/8 drywall and finished to paint. Door is a heavy steel firerated and well pinned with double dead bolts.Along with a good security system, Was good enough for the CFO to approve 2 years ago. Cost me about the same a a good gun vault including permits.
Just out of curiosity, what did the CFO have to with it?
Old 02-24-2018, 01:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
When you have hand guns they ask what security measures for storage are in place
Old 02-24-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
When you have hand guns they ask what security measures for storage are in place
I owned handguns for many years, and nobody ever asked me how I stored them.
Old 02-24-2018, 01:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
I have handguns, and they are locked up as per requirements. Not sure why the CFO would personally have to be involved.
Old 02-24-2018, 01:31 PM

where can a guy get that security mesh?
Old 02-24-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post

ARG
Of course you can stop them, if you want to, most people just don't take it that far.
Old 02-24-2018, 01:46 PM

pm sent - I know "the" guy for this job.
Old 02-24-2018, 01:49 PM

We welded up a pretty simple "grate" using flat bar, angle, expanded steel mesh etc... that bolted up to solid structure and bridged the entire wall and were able to finish the room off with drywall so that you wouldn't even notice it. It would have taken any would be thief a ton of blood sweat and tears to get in there .... lol.
Old 02-24-2018, 02:00 PM

I was under the impression a locking door was all that is required in terms of legality? With racks then bolted to structure of room?! I see why you would want high security as discussed in this thread but it is not legally required from what I have learned? Am I totally off!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2018, 02:06 PM

Nice detailed instructions to make a secure room can be found here:
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/physec-sec...1-eng.html#6.2
Old 02-24-2018, 02:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I owned handguns for many years, and nobody ever asked me how I stored them.
They only asked me on my first one
Old 02-24-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeron Kahyar View Post
Nice detailed instructions to make a secure room can be found here:
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/physec-sec...1-eng.html#6.2
This has nothing to do with firearms storage!

There are no absolutes
Old 02-24-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Good Friend of mine works for the CFO. I passed along my plans asking if the gun room would meet legal storage so i dont need safes and can store my restricted firearms on wall mounts inside. AS this was apart of of major reno and my only want on a long list my wife had it was a no brainer to do it right including making sure it would pass fire, home fortified buildings SCAN Act ( if i remember correctly) as i plan to live out my days in this house.
Old 02-24-2018, 04:33 PM

First, try to do it yourself. Loose lips sink ships.
Old 02-24-2018, 04:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps.257 View Post
Good Friend of mine works for the CFO. I passed along my plans asking if the gun room would meet legal storage so i dont need safes and can store my restricted firearms on wall mounts inside. AS this was apart of of major reno and my only want on a long list my wife had it was a no brainer to do it right including making sure it would pass fire, home fortified buildings SCAN Act ( if i remember correctly) as i plan to live out my days in this house.
I see. Interesting.
Old 02-24-2018, 04:39 PM

How about just build the room to be secure for the ammo and accessories and keep the location of the firearms "creative". A fellow I know renovated his home to enlarge his master bedroom and ensuite bathroom and during this he incorporated a secret shelf in the master closet that moved to reveal access to his floor joists. He had sheeted the ceiling of the room below with plywood and lined the joist cavities with scrap carpet. Easy peasey, out of sight and out of mind.
Old 02-24-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
This has nothing to do with firearms storage!
And everything to do with building a secure room. A secure room can store many things, possibly including firearms (if one so desired).

Thanks for pointing out that it nowere specifically mentions firearms (I'm sure it was useful to someone).
Old 02-24-2018, 04:53 PM

when we bought our place, I was told that one of the roughed in bedrooms
downstairs was mine for a gun/loading room.
Walk in closet became the vault , double deadbolts on both doors, security bars, and a separate alarm system from the rest of the house- it's all good!
Cat
Old 02-24-2018, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r-von View Post
where can a guy get that security mesh?
http://www.winroc.com/# i got evrything here except the steel door,and fasteners i got from hilti.