Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-05-2013, 02:13 PM

Default Downrigger Mounting

My late uncle left me a brand new manual Scotty downrigger that's been sitting in my garage for 5 years as I usually target pike/walley/perch.

Plan on hitting a few Alberta lakes for trout and the Okanagan for some Kokanees this year so I decided I'd like give the downrigger a go.

Looking for some advice on mounting to the side of my '06 Smokercraft. Access to use marchine screws or bolts is difficult to say the least, would stainless steel self tapping screws be sufficient?

Same question for a couple of flush mount rod holers.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:25 PM

Rod holders perhaps but not for the riggers. You will be mounting the rigger close to the rear and I would bet there is access there. One of the panels probably comes off at the rear.

Good luck
Old 06-05-2013, 03:31 PM

What smokercraft do you have?
Old 06-05-2013, 10:05 PM

Put some 1/2 or 5/8 plywood underneath to help distribute the weight over a larger area. Use large washers on the bolts that pass through. Dont attach downriggers with just machine screws. The first time you get the ball hung up on rocks, it may tear the entire downrigger and rod off the side of the boat and into the water. I am hoping you have a flat surface to mount it on.

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw
Old 06-05-2013, 11:18 PM

My last boat was a 2010 smoker pro angler. I mounted the Scotty plate right on the back deck using the thickest stainless bolts and nuts I could fit through the hole on the plates.

Depending on your model, You might be able to reach behind the vinyl flaps at the back deck and get right in there to snug them up. Use a big washer and nylon nuts.

My back deck was a 3/4" marine ply so it was plenty strong and did not require added reinforcement.

I added a scotty "riser" thingy so the rigger sat up higher and cleared the gunnels when I swung the arm over the side.

Worked great.....

Good luck.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:20 AM

Never thought about mounting it to the back deck, but that might be an option. I had planned on mounting in on the gunnels.

Boat is a Pro Mag 172.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:11 AM

When I mounted mine instead of plywood backing I went to Walmart and bought a cheap plastic cutting board and cut it to fit and usee that. Then used the biggest washers I could get in there. I also bought the riser. You will hate the back deck when trying to land a fish and deal with getting the down rigger out of the way.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond k View Post
When I mounted mine instead of plywood backing I went to Walmart and bought a cheap plastic cutting board and cut it to fit and usee that. Then used the biggest washers I could get in there. I also bought the riser. You will hate the back deck when trying to land a fish and deal with getting the down rigger out of the way.
X2 given you have a manual rigger it will not be much fun to have it mounted so low.

Given your boat has reinforced gunnels for riggers, according to Smokercraft, I would be tempted to go to your Smokercraft dealer and ask them how they get access to the underside of the gunnels as there must be away.

Good Luck to you