Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-17-2016, 06:16 PM
Banned

Default What's your favorite walleye hook/bait?

What rig works best for you?

I usually start with a live forage spoon without bait to see how aggressive the fish are,I usually keep a few eyeballs and try them on a little cleo,then minnows
Old 01-17-2016, 06:18 PM

I always start with a lipless rattling rap tipped with a minnow head.
Old 01-17-2016, 06:21 PM
Banned

true ,i also use them in an orange tiger pattern for aggressive fish
Old 01-17-2016, 11:25 PM

You will catch fish on many fancy lures but you will be hard pressed to find anything more effective for eyes than a jig and minnow.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:49 PM

I have truly over a thousand bucks in lures, and truth be told it's an exception when it's not a 5 cent jig on my line.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayDoh View Post
I have truly over a thousand bucks in lures, and truth be told it's an exception when it's not a 5 cent jig on my line.
Isn't that the truth. I have too many $10+ Rapalas when all of my trophies have been on jigs and Gamakatsus
Old 01-18-2016, 06:32 AM

Hex wobbler tipped with half a minnow
Old 01-18-2016, 07:03 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes_G View Post
You will catch fish on many fancy lures but you will be hard pressed to find anything more effective for eyes than a jig and minnow.
This or the 00 five of diamonds...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-18-2016, 10:02 AM
Banned

Default Lindy rig

9' fluorocarbon leader -6# test- with a size 10 octopus beak hook and a large leech. Trolled at 0.5 mph or parked over a large arch on the Lowrance.

Failing that, a good old fashion crawler harness in gold trolled at 1.0 - 1.5 mph.

Casting is too much work and, like spoons, crank baits bring pike. I hate pike, those slimy, toothy, bait stealing and tackle mangling members of the pickerel family. Not to mention that they are the wrong color.

Free (who never fishes from shore anymore)
Old 01-18-2016, 10:25 AM

For Ice Season ..... Jig head with a double tail, rattlin flyer, small rattlin rap prosuce the most fish.

Open Water Season ...... Jig head with double tail, spinner bottom bouncer with crawler harness, crank baits
Old 01-18-2016, 11:13 AM

Tough to beat a jig head with a leech.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:02 PM
Banned

great minds think alike. All about tyne double tail. You should see the ones I got white with chartreuse tails. Power bait for some dumb reason discontinued so I found 25 packs online. Everything loves them. Rattlin flyers are wicked too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
For Ice Season ..... Jig head with a double tail, rattlin flyer, small rattlin rap prosuce the most fish.

Open Water Season ...... Jig head with double tail, spinner bottom bouncer with crawler harness, crank baits
Old 01-18-2016, 01:13 PM

My favourite -
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images (2).jpg (12.0 KB, 339 views)
Old 01-18-2016, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
My favourite -

Not sure if your serious or not but it might be something to try on a dead stick
Old 01-18-2016, 01:33 PM

Try fishing with a thill slip bobber, with a 4-5' 15-20# fluorocarbon leader with a rubber-twist lead weight 18" from a bright orange bead and a size 4 octopus red hook. Put a leech hooked through the sucker and back through the body after a half twist.

The results are absolutely deadly. I'm not sure why people don't use slip-bobbering more with walleyes, but its incredible. The fluorocarbon leader is essential and make sure it's larger poundage. I caught plenty on 6-8#, but got break-offs every 3-4th fish. I switched to higher poundage and it didn't make my hooking ratio any less. My landing % went up though!

It takes some getting use to finding the right balance of equipment, but once the correct depth is found, it's unreal. The rougher the water, the better the action under the surface.

I swear by it now and normally out-fish the jigheads 3-1 (No offense... But that's been my experience). It's well worth a try!
Old 01-18-2016, 01:36 PM

I always use fluorocarbon leader material for walleye - it's invisible under water and prevents the bite throughs if a pike decides to take your lure.

It's when you are using 4lb mono on a small spoon or jig when the pike become a problem.
Old 01-18-2016, 02:03 PM

bottom bounce a chartreuse spinner harness with beef heart. speed about 1 mph.
Old 01-18-2016, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
My favourite -
Mine too.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhntr4life View Post
Try fishing with a thill slip bobber, with a 4-5' 15-20# fluorocarbon leader with a rubber-twist lead weight 18" from a bright orange bead and a size 4 octopus red hook. Put a leech hooked through the sucker and back through the body after a half twist.

The results are absolutely deadly. I'm not sure why people don't use slip-bobbering more with walleyes, but its incredible. The fluorocarbon leader is essential and make sure it's larger poundage. I caught plenty on 6-8#, but got break-offs every 3-4th fish. I switched to higher poundage and it didn't make my hooking ratio any less. My landing % went up though!

It takes some getting use to finding the right balance of equipment, but once the correct depth is found, it's unreal. The rougher the water, the better the action under the surface.

I swear by it now and normally out-fish the jigheads 3-1 (No offense... But that's been my experience). It's well worth a try!
And nothing beats watching the float twitch a few times then fly under the water
Old 01-18-2016, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes_G View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayDoh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhutter View Post
Isn't that the truth. I have too many $10+ Rapalas when all of my trophies have been on jigs and Gamakatsus
Found some jigs I really like and so do the eyes (no wonder they are almost always sold out). A Lot of days that's all I end up using, only checking the line for damage and re-tying as required.

It's not the jig they bite but what the jig represents...
Old 01-18-2016, 05:37 PM
Banned

Quote:

i witnessed this several yrs ago on may long,we were using leaches on a jig with braid and barely got any fish.Boat beside us using your system slayed them!!! This was at Pinehurst in 5' of water
Old 01-18-2016, 05:49 PM

Quote:

Works well with a small floating jig head and leach with this set up.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:53 PM

1/8 oz slender spoon and 1/4 of a minnow.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:52 PM

Kamooki SmartFish ...
Old 01-19-2016, 01:26 PM

Jig and minnow or jig and worm is tough to beat
Old 01-29-2016, 07:57 PM

Default best ice fishing rig/setup

If I'm ice fishing for perch & walleye, nothing works better for me than using a Fiskas perch or parrot pattern hook with the hook covered in maggots.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:19 PM

The one with a Wally on it.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:51 PM

Slender
Old 02-02-2016, 07:16 PM

Cotton Cordell
Old 02-02-2016, 10:53 PM

Default Floating Jig

The best for pickerel I have found is
# 1 Sutton West River spoon copper & silver this spoons shines like no other it actually has a little pure silver in plating

#2 Floating Jig with leach small sinker 18" or so above jig so jig is off bottom and leach can swim around this is deadly