Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 11-02-2017, 09:11 PM

Default Scouting for moose-i found the spot

So i was out hunting /scouting last couple of days and found this boggy area with about 10 beaver dams. Trees were cut in an area that may measure 200 by 400 m. Seen lots of tracks in and out and around all the ponds.

Would this be a good spot to setup for moose next year ?

Thanks
Old 11-02-2017, 10:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by srs123 View Post
So i was out hunting /scouting last couple of days and found this boggy area with about 10 beaver dams. Trees were cut in an area that may measure 200 by 400 m. Seen lots of tracks in and out and around all the ponds.

Would this be a good spot to setup for moose next year ?

Thanks
Are you trapping 'em or shooting 'em? You may want to move this thread to the hunting section.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:06 PM

I would take a good look at how much browse is available. See if it has been browsed in the past. Walk the perimeter of the area to check for moose tracks and droppings on the game trails. Then I would decide.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 11-02-2017, 10:21 PM

Ops, i meant to post this in the hunting section. Sorry guys. Trapping moose loool
Old 11-02-2017, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
I would take a good look at how much browse is available. See if it has been browsed in the past. Walk the perimeter of the area to check for moose tracks and droppings on the game trails. Then I would decide.
Seen to piles of moose droppings in the area. And there were plenty of tracks in 2 directions in and out. Good tracks around the water.
How should i set this up? A stand or two by the trials..?
Old 11-03-2017, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Ops, i meant to post this in the hunting section. Sorry guys. Trapping moose loool
Would you try and target a back hoof catch? 10' Moose pee poplar post?
What kind of trap? A Bridger Brawn #500 or a MB 7000? Dirt hole set would have to be dug with the bobcat auger. Hahahha

Happy hunting and trapping
Bill
Old 11-03-2017, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill9044 View Post
Would you try and target a back hoof catch? 10' Moose pee poplar post?
What kind of trap? A Bridger Brawn #500 or a MB 7000? Dirt hole set would have to be dug with the bobcat auger. Hahahha

Happy hunting and trapping
Bill
No to the Bridger, MB7000 or auger. Just a #3 soft catch coil spring jump trap set in the middle of the trail. Known as the "hold a moosenut set". haha

You definitely want to approach the set location with caution when checking the trap..
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 11-03-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Seen to piles of moose droppings in the area. And there were plenty of tracks in 2 directions in and out. Good tracks around the water.
How should i set this up? A stand or two by the trials..?
That would depend if you want to get your moose out of the water or not. Odds and murphy's law are if you shot a moose by the water it would fall over in the water. A trail stand could be ok. Try using a trail cam to pattern the moose using of the trail. Depends when you hunt. Rut or not. During rut you can coax in a moose from the ground.