Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-01-2018, 04:56 PM

Will they be giving maps out so we can find our way to the NWA and other areas.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
If I recall correctly they give you a map each morning and you return it at the end of the day (I think).
Old 02-01-2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopeshunter View Post
If I recall correctly they give you a map each morning and you return it at the end of the day (I think).
Yes. One map per vehicle. Has to be turned in at the end of the day with your vehicle pass. That way they can cross check that everyone has checked out safely.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:18 PM

Well gents, I was there this week with my 17 yr old son. Due to his final exams we were limited to 2 days only Wednesday and Thursday. As luck would have it we only needed a few hours and we had a bull on the ground. From what I saw there was a herd of at 1000 head on the NWA far NE corner of the base. For the guys with a bull tag it’s not as easy as it sounds having a 1000 elk at 200-300 yards and getting a clear shot. We were on elk within the first 500 yards of walking in. Anyhow with a lot of patience it came together. Walking is the way to go. The walking is super easy and I think the total tree count on the base was 4. In fact when we were packing out the first load we came across a small herd of approx 60 elk and they actually started following us for about 300 yards. It was incredible seeing that many elk.
As far as the base personnel go they get a big thumbs up from me. Seemed very organized. However there was less than 25 hunter on Wednesday they waved the draws for the NWA. It was free sailing. I think it’s the perfect place to take a kid. Won’t be last time there however one of the base guys suggested they may shut down the hunt in a very near future.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:48 AM

delete
Old 02-02-2018, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisb View Post
Well gents, I was there this week with my 17 yr old son. Due to his final exams we were limited to 2 days only Wednesday and Thursday. As luck would have it we only needed a few hours and we had a bull on the ground. From what I saw there was a herd of at 1000 head on the NWA far NE corner of the base. For the guys with a bull tag it’s not as easy as it sounds having a 1000 elk at 200-300 yards and getting a clear shot. We were on elk within the first 500 yards of walking in. Anyhow with a lot of patience it came together. Walking is the way to go. The walking is super easy and I think the total tree count on the base was 4. In fact when we were packing out the first load we came across a small herd of approx 60 elk and they actually started following us for about 300 yards. It was incredible seeing that many elk.
As far as the base personnel go they get a big thumbs up from me. Seemed very organized. However there was less than 25 hunter on Wednesday they waved the draws for the NWA. It was free sailing. I think it’s the perfect place to take a kid. Won’t be last time there however one of the base guys suggested they may shut down the hunt in a very near future.
Thanks for the up date.
Congrat. on your hunt well done.
Did you have to hand in the full head for testing?
How much snow is on the ground?
Old 02-02-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the up date.
Congrat. on your hunt well done.
Did you have to hand in the full head for testing?
How much snow is on the ground?
Head submission is not mandatory. and snow was minimal. we used a game cart to get the second load out.
Old 02-03-2018, 12:21 PM

Does anyone have an address or directions to the base' main entrance?
Old 02-03-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
Does anyone have an address or directions to the base' main entrance?
If you go to the main entrance for teh base, you are in the wrong place and will get turned away.. Orientation is in Ralston, 3 km North of the Trans Canada Highway on (Secondary) Highway 884. Lots of signs for anyone who has never been there before.
Old 02-03-2018, 05:36 PM

Thanks Lone Wolf.
Old 02-04-2018, 07:04 AM

Going to an interesting drive this morning ,heard Trans Canada #1might still be closed because of blowing snow and a few 100 cars stuck.
Old 02-04-2018, 07:36 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Going to an interesting drive this morning ,heard Trans Canada #1might still be closed because of blowing snow and a few 100 cars stuck.
Check Alberta 511..it says bare and dry as of a couple hours ago
Old 02-04-2018, 07:52 AM

Good to know, leaving at noon. -28 in the Hat right now. Where's global warming when you need it eh?
Old 02-07-2018, 09:00 PM

After 2 days of freezing our tails off we came back with 2 cows. We had 4 tags but 2 cows is a lot of meat and we gladly deep-sixed the last 2 tags. Very happy with the experience The military types were first rate and the "Foxtrot Call-signs" were excellent as well. I'm sure they will breathe a collective sigh of relief after tomorrow when us civvies get out of their way. I will definitely put in for next year, it is a different type of hunt to be sure but a very good time nonetheless. Just a thought, those of us that enjoyed it should think about sending an email to the base commander expressing our gratitude.