Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-18-2022, 09:52 PM

Default Driving ATV on gravel hyw.

Did some camping between Robb and Cadomin this last week and side x sides and quads where up and down the center on hyw 40 as if it were on a back country bush road .
I always thought that was against the law and the most one could do was cross it . Talked to the fish cop that checked us for our crown land camping pass, and he said its ok as long as they are not driving all the way to Cadomin that was like 60 km away .

So is this a gray line ,or is there a high chance i will get a ticket when I drive 5 km down a # hyw..... Lol.
Old 07-18-2022, 10:11 PM

There are some places in AB that allow ATV’s on gravel roads now.
Old 07-18-2022, 10:20 PM
Banned

It’s a municipality thing and can be authorized with bylaws by the County. Here’s Sturgeon County’s:
https://www.sturgeoncounty.ca/Portal...on-County-.pdf
Old 07-18-2022, 11:10 PM

Got stopped on Cardinal River Road south of Robb a few years ago by RCMP who stated “you’re lucky it’s a 2.5 hour wait for a tow truck to come from Edson otherwise we’d be impounding your ATV’S” and let us go with a warning they’d tow us next time. Next year Me and a buddy got stopped on the FTR just north of the North Saskatchewan River by Nordegg - and we both got $372 tickets for operating an OHV on a highway (despite both insured and registered and plated and legal). You can apparently ride in the town of Nordegg on an OHV, but do your research before you take your chances.
Old 07-18-2022, 11:43 PM

I was in between robb and cadomin a couple years ago doing around 60 kmpr on my quad rcmp chased me to camp and flipped out for driving on a hwy they came back and checked us for the next couple days after that.
Old 07-19-2022, 07:16 AM

If my job entailed towing atv's off a gravel road near crown land, Id probably just end it.......
Old 07-19-2022, 07:32 AM

I e put on thousands of km out there and never had an issue with police. A buddy got a no registration ticket on a snowmobile though.
Old 07-19-2022, 07:34 AM

Default ATVs

In summer on most week days its OK, but on weekends ATVs on some roads here become a bit of a zoo. They burn several donuts where ever a bush trail crosses the gravel road. They also do a lot of damage to fragile terrain in
the sandhills. Hundreds year old native trails have become like speedways with banked speed curves. Some tickets are needed.
Old 07-19-2022, 09:07 AM

Did some camping between Robb and Cadomin

There seems to be blatant disregard of the rules in that neck of the woods. Last time I was in Cadomin, the ATV traffic through town was non stop, in convoys.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 07-19-2022, 02:07 PM

Don’t stop
Old 07-19-2022, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Did some camping between Robb and Cadomin this last week and side x sides and quads where up and down the center on hyw 40 as if it were on a back country bush road .
I always thought that was against the law and the most one could do was cross it . Talked to the fish cop that checked us for our crown land camping pass, and he said its ok as long as they are not driving all the way to Cadomin that was like 60 km away .

So is this a gray line ,or is there a high chance i will get a ticket when I drive 5 km down a # hyw..... Lol.
The rules change from county to county.
Old 07-19-2022, 08:30 PM

Don't quote me on this, but I heard the other day that regardless of insurance and registration you also need to have a headlight of some sort while on public land. Lots of dirt bikes don't have them.

If it's true, I didn't know this.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 07-19-2022, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
Don't quote me on this, but I heard the other day that regardless of insurance and registration you also need to have a headlight of some sort while on public land. Lots of dirt bikes don't have them.

If it's true, I didn't know this.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
registration, insurance, front light, rear light, license plate, spark arrestor

F&W seem to care more about the insurance and registration than the lights. Never been bothered about not having lights.
Old 07-19-2022, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
Did some camping between Robb and Cadomin

There seems to be blatant disregard of the rules in that neck of the woods. Last time I was in Cadomin, the ATV traffic through town was non stop, in convoys.

Grizz
Absolutely correct!
That area has been a gong show for years now.
Go there on a long weekend...the amount of quads/sxs/4x4s/mud bog trucks etc ripping up and down not only the roads but also in the creeks and rivers is disgusting.