Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-24-2015, 11:34 PM

Default Agressive cops on sylvan

I was out on sylvan today when I noticed a boat approaching then slowed to a crawl about 1000 yards out or so and proceeded to watch us for about 45min, I could see the binos reflect the light a few times so I pulled mine out took a peek and gave a quick wave, instantly they jumped up on plain and came over. These were not conservation officers but RCMP, two gentlemen that asked to see my boating licence, insurence and saftey stuff all of which I had......then the grilling started "hot day out here how many beer do u have on the boat?" And "you should hand them over now so we don't have to go through everything" we laughed but they pushed it again then again. Next they asked about any illegal catches aboard the the boat we said no but the grilling started again and we were warned a co would be contacted to look over any suspicious catches, after we re affirmed we had no fish aboard the boat so.......... We were boarded all my compartments gone through then with a quick "sorry for the inconvenience" they were on their way. Are they allowed to search my boat for no reason ? I was also warned about my small all in one saftey bucket, it's a bailer with some roap, flashlight and a whistle and how in the future it won't be allowed? They were rude, pushy and all around unprofessional.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:45 PM

Brutal... Bunch of Jerks.. I have the same all in 1 bucket, what is the issue with them?
Old 06-25-2015, 05:12 AM

They asked to see your boat insurance?

Does anyone know if they need permission to come on the boat without cause?

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw
Old 06-25-2015, 06:04 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tight line View Post
Brutal... Bunch of Jerks.. I have the same all in 1 bucket, what is the issue with them?
Don't get a wound up now, just a one sided story, a rant is all. Sure if we all sat in a room with both parties that a better picture would be painted.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-25-2015, 06:36 AM
Banned

Sounds like they were doing their job. Cops are just dicks by nature.
The real question is if boarding and searching your boat without probable cause is legal.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Yaker View Post
The real question is if boarding and searching your boat without probable cause is legal.
I have been checked many times on the water, but never boarded. I have opened compartments if requested and never had a problem.

An aggressive check as outlined in the OP, puts a person on the defensive even before they arrive at the side of your boat.

I would be tempted to deny boarding and not answer any irrelevant questions. Just show whats required, when asked, and that's it.

Old 06-25-2015, 07:13 AM

Boats are just like trucks or cars. They can only search it if they have probable cause. Therefore if you werent doing anything illegal than they shouldnt have been alllowed. Did they ask i they could search it?
Old 06-25-2015, 08:08 AM

[QUOTE=Kokanee9;2875487]They asked to see your boat insurance?

Sure did, not a big deal maybe to make sure it's not stolen ?
Old 06-25-2015, 08:11 AM

Next time invite them on board off the batt. Keeps em happy, and let's them know that you have nothing to hide. That's what I do!
Old 06-25-2015, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Don't get a wound up now, just a one sided story, a rant is all. Sure if we all sat in a room with both parties that a better picture would be painted.
I've had nothing but great experiences with CO's........I was 100% complient, we weren't drinking, had all the right info but my boat was still borded and searched...... I like that they were on the lake even mentioned right off the bat it was nice to see them out on the water. Just felt they needed to find somthing with or without my cooperation.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:18 AM

They're allowed to board without warrant.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheory View Post
Next time invite them on board off the batt. Keeps em happy, and let's them know that you have nothing to hide. That's what I do!
Sounds like a plan! Not an issue it was more I wasn't sure about my rights and they did not ask and made it feel like normal routine for them.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:25 AM

You could have stumbled across cops that just had enough of other people that day and you got the brunt of their attitude. It happens. There are a lot of boating drinking liars that are out on the waters these days so it is good to see that they are at least out on the waters checking. I believe they can board if they so choose, but just let them do what they must...I mean if there was nothing illegal happening they will find out quickly and be on their way. If you show apprehension or discontent they will not take that lightly and flags will be set off.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrocyte View Post
You could have stumbled across cops that just had enough of other people that day and you got the brunt of their attitude. It happens. There are a lot of boating drinking liars that are out on the waters these days so it is good to see that they are at least out on the waters checking. I believe they can board if they so choose, but just let them do what they must...I mean if there was nothing illegal happening they will find out quickly and be on their way. If you show apprehension or discontent they will not take that lightly and flags will be set off.
I agree 100% it's not a stress free job, sounds like boarding my boat was legal.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:40 AM
Gone Hunting

Probably not a nice job on a day like yesterday, hot, dressed in full uniform and getting flack from 90% of the people they stop to check about what's right or wrong...I agree, invite them aboard , check out what ever they want and they will be on their way. Glad to see them out there!...Good on you for the way you dealt with it
Old 06-25-2015, 08:53 AM

I don't fish a lot in Alberta so do you need to have insurance for all boats and have proof of it with the boat?
Thanks,
Old 06-25-2015, 09:08 AM

You don't require insurance but your boat must be registered and be able to provide the papers on there request
Old 06-25-2015, 09:09 AM

Glad they were out and about.

I do not believe you are required to have a copy of your boat insurance on board, just a copy of the boat registration if the boat is required by law to be registered.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:27 AM

The RCMP are aggressive on Sylvan because 90% of the boaters on that lake do not follow the laws for boating and fishing, and drive like idiots. Not saying you are on of those people obviously. But being on that lake for the last 20 years I can tell you that if you had to deal with the amount of irresponsible behavior we see every summer for 4 months you might understand why they act like that.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
Glad they were out and about.

I do not believe you are required to have a copy of your boat insurance on board, just a copy of the boat registration if the boat is required by law to be registered.
Our boat is registerd but lost the paper work many years ago. Like 20 or more. What can they do? Failing to produce papers, like a car ? $25.00 fine. How would one go about getting new paper work?

Glade to see them out but they need to be respectfull as well as pleasent to deal with. Been checked by many CO's and they have all been very nice to deal with. Never asked for registration. Maybe the RCMP are looking for stolen boats? That would be nice to see.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:27 AM

You have boat registration number so as long as your name is on the papers it should not be difficult to get a replacement. Check out their web most likely has info on that very thing.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Lol, ya not really getting wound up at all, i know people in law enforcement. There are different ways to carry out your job, and some enforcement personel definately lack giving mutual respect to someone that has done nothing wrong is all.

Last edited by tight line; 06-25-2015 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshot View Post
The RCMP are aggressive on Sylvan because 90% of the boaters on that lake do not follow the laws for boating and fishing, and drive like idiots. Not saying you are on of those people obviously. But being on that lake for the last 20 years I can tell you that if you had to deal with the amount of irresponsible behavior we see every summer for 4 months you might understand why they act like that.
Still does not give them the right to act like that. If they cannot conduct themselves in a respectful manner regardless of the circumstances, they need to find another career. Policing has special powers above what the average Joe is allowed, if you can't help but abuse those special powers it means you shouldn't have them plain and simple.

I wasn't there, but I expect 100% professional conduct from law enforcement officers 100% of the time, otherwise a call in to the superior officer is in order. Never make a deal out of things with an unprofessional officer because things will surely get ugly. Comply with everything they say, document it best you can, file a complaint with the superiors. We are fortunate in this day and age of cell phone capabilities, just hit "record".
Old 06-25-2015, 11:26 AM

"They asked to see your boat insurance?"

[QUOTE=fluxcore;2875543]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee9 View Post

Sure did, not a big deal maybe to make sure it's not stolen ?

Do you mean boat registration or insurance? Always had the impression that boat insurance was not mandatory. If that has changed, I didn't know.

Last edited by Kokanee9; 06-25-2015 at 11:31 AM.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:23 PM
Banned

Arrow

Nice to see the RCMP out doing there job at Sylvan.

Terrible to hear that they hurt your feelings.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:54 PM

Did they trick you into allowing them? I got checked with my boat on trailer just pulling up from the launch by the CO's, had nothing to hide but we were really being grilled and I felt we were being targeted for being, at the time, in my early 20's. When it came to checking my boat the CO said " now I'm going to jump into your boat and look around, do you mind?"
See what he did there.
He told me he was going to search my boat, then asked if i minded, trying to get me to give consent. I played it off casually, asked him if his boots were muddy, sure enough they were. So I said actually I do mind, I don't want you tracking mud in my boat. And that was that.

We take these risks in life, not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping us. Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams. - No Fear

http://youtu.be/3JbTBYk7xII

http://youtu.be/Ujl2kz1M8y8
Old 06-25-2015, 01:01 PM

As long as they were friendly I'd cooperate in the same manner. They have a job to do. But if they got rude or pushy I'd probably take out my phone and record the interaction, keep them on their best behavior. At least I'd know I'd get called "Sir" a lot.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK Angler View Post
Did they trick you into allowing them? I got checked with my boat on trailer just pulling up from the launch by the CO's, had nothing to hide but we were really being grilled and I felt we were being targeted for being, at the time, in my early 20's. When it came to checking my boat the CO said " now I'm going to jump into your boat and look around, do you mind?"
See what he did there.
He told me he was going to search my boat, then asked if i minded, trying to get me to give consent. I played it off casually, asked him if his boots were muddy, sure enough they were. So I said actually I do mind, I don't want you tracking mud in my boat. And that was that.
Well played. I expect respect to go both ways, the officer or I should both respond positively. If there's a reason for him or I to get upset well that's played after the first bit of conversation. They have bad days so do we, were people.
Offer him a beer in that hot uniform 😜
G.H
Old 06-25-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nester View Post
Nice to see the RCMP out doing there job at Sylvan.

Terrible to hear that they hurt your feelings.
Lol no hurt feelings report filled out, just sharing my day
Old 06-25-2015, 04:41 PM

They have a job to do yes like make sure the boats not stolen..or make sure your not impaired and all your safety stuff was there..even take a look to see if you have illegal fish ...but there is absolutely no readon to keep digging past that point...sounds like they watched you to see if theyd catch ya red handed on somethin and when that didnt work they came over looked harder ..and once they realised you didnt really know any better they pushed it as far as they could ...definately not the type of experience id expect on a day at the lake sounds harsh to me i agree withvthe one statement that id expect 100 percent proffesional 100 percent of the time not being bullied and belittled by the police ...if they gad no reason after watching you for 45 min then they shoulda had no reason to approach you and walk on you like that ...sorry to hear you had to go through this while you were trying to enjoy yourself ..and i dont think youll see me fishing at sylvan again if thats what your gonna hafta deal with...on a sode note i have seen a few stolen boats posted on fb lately and i even think one mighta been at sylvan lake maybe by chance your boat resembled a stolen boat or somethin crazy and they had to make sure