Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-20-2021, 11:48 AM

Default Orange Color on Deer Hip Joint - Safe to Eat?

So I got 2 whitetail does yesterday in an Eastern Alberta zone bordering Saskatchewan.

Both does were out of the same group of 3. All big, mature adults.

One of the deer had normal whiteish looking fat. The other one was noticeably more yellow. After doing some quick research online, it sounds like the yellowish fat shouldn't be a concern.

Having said that, the deer with the yellowish fat also had some bright orange coloring on the hip ball joint when I was de-boning in the field. (Photo attached). Has anyone ever seen this before? Is this something to be concerned with or is it nothing to be worried about?

The deer was old, mature, and it great condition (aside from the bullet).

I've read up on CWD stuff as well and based on it being a big, very healthy looking deer I don't suspect there are any issues. But when I think perhaps it had something to do with its diet, I then think about the fact that the other deer didn't show that coloration.

Any thoughts on this? I think I'm probably just being paranoid about CWD stuff (even though apparently there are no cases ever reported in humans). But would be interested to hear input on this.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1608.jpg (53.8 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1632.jpg (89.8 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1634.jpg (79.2 KB, 247 views)
Old 11-20-2021, 11:50 AM

Older aged fat.

You got the matriarch doe.

There are no absolutes
Old 11-20-2021, 12:16 PM

Nothing to worry about. We always trim all fat, bone and silver skin, even in stuff we are going to grind. Substitute pork or beef fat in the burger. I do not care for the flavour of the fat on wild game, to me that is where a lot of the gaminess resides, along with the bones. Also don't care for the texture of cook game fat, reminds me of Mutton fat. You have some prime meat there for the winter but I would get them tested.