Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-16-2009, 08:46 PM

Default been awhile since i bought a pistol

Been awhile since i bought a restricted gun, I think i need a membership to a non profit club range, Anyone know where i can buy one, I love in edmonton.
The gun I am buying is from an out of province dealer.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:58 PM

You need a membership to ANY club that is approved for discharge of restricted firearms. This can be an association range, or a commercial one such as Phoenix.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:56 PM

so i can just buy a range to a reuglar range. Did this change. Cause i was always under the impression it had to be a non profit club like the shooters guild from phoenix, but if I can just buy a range membership, then i will not have to waste money.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:49 AM

The CFO requirement has never had anything whatsoever to do with whether or not your club is commercial or non-profit.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:17 PM

The commercial ranges licensed for handgun use include Edmonton's Wild West (the owner is very active in handgun comps) and Phoenix (they host IPSC indoor matches), and Calgary's The Shooting Edge (also hosts IPSC indoor matches).

The reason you need to join a for-profit Range or a non-profit Club or Range or F&G or R&G or Provincial shooting association is that you'll need at least one handgun-licensed range to which you are authorized to transport. The main legal reason to own a handgun is target shooting. There's also collecting. But for some target shooting gets lame after awhile when you're just standing there rooted in one place shooting at 25 yards in what looks like a horse stall.

If you find you like handgun shooting but want to ramp it up, you could join one of the competitive associations. Then upgrade your one-range ATT to where you can travel to any licensed handgun range in Alberta - maybe even Western Canada should you really get into the competitive circuit.

Edit:
At a typical IPSC match you'll fire a couple hundred rounds in one day. You'll be squadded with say a half-dozen other competitors, and the group will move through six or more stages where targets (cardboard, steel, movers even) are set out in clusters and far apart, at distances that vary from 1 yard right out to 25 and even 50 yards. Each of the six stages is also called a 'course of fire'. You shoot toward the back and side berms, moving through the course of fire as you see fit, firing two shots at most targets when they become visible to you (some are hidden behind walls, behind doors). There usually are two to 6 or more squads moving simultaneously through the several courses of fire that can be set up at a big multi-bay range, each protected by their own sets of berms.

From the timer's start buzzer you draw your gun and move through the course of fire as fast as you can while shooting for points. The more accuracy, the more points. You can reload and even shoot on the move, to save time. Whoever gets the most points in the least time wins. This particular sport is called IPSC - you must be specially trained to participate - and the game is played in about 80 countries of which Canada is a member.

The IPSC game is safe because all competitors take a 2-day safety and gun handling proficiency course to learn how the game is played, how to reload and shoot on the move, how the points are tallied and the score kept, what the rules are, etc., etc. Each stage has an official Range Officer who monitors each shooter's gun handling for safety, who calls out the range commands, and who tallies the point value of your hits. Safety is rule No.1 in IPSC.
http://www.ipscalberta.com/

Last edited by admin; 11-19-2009 at 08:43 AM.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:05 AM

Default restricted

Does anybody know the cheapest association or guild I can join here in alberta to qualify for a restricted firearm? (I already have my liscence.)
Also is it worth persuing the collectors status since I intend to shoot rarley and don't what to buy an annual range membership?
Thanks,
Old 11-19-2009, 09:19 AM

CHAS Canadian Historical Arms Society is 70 bucks a year. Available at Lock n Load.

I would not pursue collector status. It is a lot more involved than you can believe. You have to prove that you are a legit collector, etc.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:12 PM

I was instructed for the cheif firearms officer in alberta not to purse the collector statues. If you want to go to the range the odd time. Plus support a your local club range/ club memberships can't more then $65 annually.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:46 AM

thanks for the advice guys. I guess i'll just have to pick up a non profit organization membership. By the way my local range, Phoenix, wants 375 annually for a membership. I can't support that when I know i'll only shoot two or three times a year.