Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-18-2020, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cement Bench View Post
Brazeau County website has letter to sign and send in
Except I would bet it is a letter to the UCP asking them to reverse the policy. What I want is the Counties to spend a hell of a lot less money, no matter where it comes from.
Old 08-19-2020, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Wrote my MLA about this threatened tax increases from the Counties. Be interesting to see what they say. I can also tell you, if they try to go ahead with this in my County I will be running in the next election. These idiots need to be hobbled. I would suggest you guys at least write or phone your MLA and also consider running for a County seat.
I hope you do run and get elected Dean.
Like there is no way they can let taxes increase like what has been suggested. Everybody will be homeless.
Thats like going tyo your employers and saying I need a 400 percent raise. Everybody will be unemployed before it would happen.
Old 08-19-2020, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Except I would bet it is a letter to the UCP asking them to reverse the policy. What I want is the Counties to spend a hell of a lot less money, no matter where it comes from.
agreed
Old 08-19-2020, 10:39 AM

Dean I hope this is a start to a great Political career for you.

Thinking about the trickle down effect is not good.

Counties raise taxes by 400%

$4,000 due yearly is now $20,000

Families that are already struggling due to Covid will be in impossible situations.

They have received $2000 a month for 6 months or more, and tax time is coming.

Banks are dropping to all time low, meaning the bubble is about to burst.

But, they won't give out consolidation loans to those unemployed, meaning taxes will not be paid.

In 2 years the land is seized by the municipality.

The municipality now has an extra burden on their hands, all the seized land is no longer producing any income, so they have to increase taxes for the remaining land owners. Ha!!! PLUS, any new buyer is going to see the property tax amount, and the land will sit vacant forever.

At some point, someone is going to realize that there is a huge, massive untapped sector on the prairies that pays very little in the way of income or property tax; farmers. (don't get your panties in a bunch guys, just read)

In my tiny town I am paying over $4000.00.

A farmer I know with 9 quarters and 22 wells pays $2400 yearly in property tax, and I paid more in income tax than he did. He has all new equipment, a 2019 denali, a 2020 dually F350, bikes and sleds and quads boat and a camper.

What about the local farmers paying $500,000 PER QUARTER SECTION, owning and seeding 30-40 SECTIONS of land and running brand new massive equipment?

Do you think they will not be in the gubmint eye very soon?

They aren't living on weiner water soup. And we don't eat canola. All you see around here are cash crops, no wheat or barley really.

So now, someone in a Liberal chair looks over reports and now determines all these writeoff's; checking cows on the quad(s), the seadoo(s) for spreading algae control in the dugout, using the boat to save marooned calves, using a 43 foot toyhauler to sleep in while combining 4 miles from the house, using the turbo'd 173" $45,000 sled in winter to feed cattle and a $74,000 SUV for the wife to get 'parts' are no longer reasonable write-off's and watch the farmers go into tailspins.

Also, all the small business owners are very likely going to be affected as well, no more writing everything off like you could before.

I think this is all just the start of something evil, and most of you know I am the last person on the planet to believe in conspiracy theories.

Trudeau doesnt want anyone in canada owning land or houses, he has said that already. He wants to tax house sales and inheritences.

This is going to get far worse before it gets better.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 08-19-2020 at 11:01 AM.
Old 08-19-2020, 12:25 PM

First thing I was thinking was ranchers/ farmers dont get or want services.
Most have garbage pits.
Most dont want great roads because it brings in outside people.
Acreages that move into the middle of farming country and complain about dust, noise, herbicides, roads, water,etc and they are the ones that want services.
When the school bus gets stuck its a farmer that pulls it out.
I hope this doesdnt turn into a farmer bashing thread.
Instead of rate payers turning on each other we could look at why MDs go through so much money.
What happens to old equipment? Does your MD own farm or grazing land? Who uses it? Who decides what new equipment and buildings get built and how fancy is it?
Why does it cost stupid amounts of money to maintain a park? Why can't anything be privatized and if it is then why does everything have to go to mega outfits like Volker stevin?
Old 08-19-2020, 12:47 PM

I hope you do not think this in any way was meant as a farmer bashing thread, not the point at all.

Just looking at what is coming. I would think farmers should prepare, this will affect them too. 400% increase in property tax means farmers as well, and maybe they cant write it off? I dont know.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 08-19-2020, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I hope you do not think this in any way was meant as a farmer bashing thread, not the point at all.

Just looking at what is coming. I would think farmers should prepare, this will affect them too. 400% increase in property tax means farmers as well, and maybe they cant write it off? I dont know.
Haha thank god !
Right now cheaper fuel and interest rates are saving people but this won't last.
Power keeps sky rocketing and land taxes could be a killer for everyone. This can't be allowed to happen and I dont think it will by 400 percent.
It does nobody any good to put people out of their homes and destroying Alberta agriculture like the oil and gas industry is just another kick in the privates for Alberta.
What I mentioned before about spending less and privatization of road building, plowing snow,etc I think are steps to be looked at. Also if you privatize make a bunch of smaller contracts that little guys like you and me can bid on. They dont have to have one contract for every road in the MD that is such a big contract that only Volker stevin can do it.