Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-14-2020, 11:12 PM

On CGN there’s a Kimber 84L 30-06 with a Swarovski scope on it, as well as a Winchester compact model 70 in 308 that would fit the bill.
Old 08-14-2020, 11:20 PM

I love the 358 winchester in a model 88,second pick in a blr.Always was intersted in a 338 federal to.Got to go with a lever for a bush gun,thats what I would go with.Good luck but hurry before she changes her mind.
Old 08-14-2020, 11:22 PM
Banned

Sako 85 finnlight 2 in 6.5cm would be a top choice imo. Assume they offer this combo? 7-08 or 308 as 2nd and 3rd choices. Or the hunter stainless walnut if that’s available?

A 1” tube Leupold with a cds-zl turret like a Vx3i 3.5-10x40 would cover all your bases from moose to antelope. And good fun on the range and coyotes. Sako 85 is the level you’re aiming for...not Tikka, I’m a fan of both but that is not what you’re asking for. Sako 85.

If Tikka then the T3c Arctic is neat. 20” .308 with irons, detach 10 round box mag, stainless laminate. Unique but likely suit as well.

https://www.sako.fi/rifles/sako-85/85-hunter-stainless
https://www.sako.fi/rifles/sako-85/85-finnlight-2
https://www.tikka.fi/rifles/tikka-t3x/t3x-arctic

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 08-14-2020 at 11:45 PM.
Old 08-15-2020, 12:11 AM

My BLR feels heavy to me. I have a Gold Medallion in 7-08 (my first not borrowed rifle) and this is what it weighs at with no scope and swivels, but rail and rings on:

Maybe it’s just Gold Medallion models, but mine feels pretty heavy. Like I mentioned, it was my first rifle, but I don’t think I would buy it again. And it’s actually not the feel weight that annoys me most, it’s the trigger. I bought a Leupold VX5-HD 1-5x24 scope for it last year and haven’t installed it still. And not sure if I will, lol. Thinking I should probably sell the gun altogether and buy something else for the money.

It stopped going with me almost anywhere after I bought the Browning X-Bolt in 243. This is what that rifle weighs at with the scope (Leupold VX3i 3.5-10x40) and a sling (Kodiak whatever it is called rubber sling):

The difference is not that much (300g and the weight of VX3i is 357g, according to the specs at Leupold website, no clue how heavy the sling is), but the rifle feels a lot lighter than the BLR. Maybe it’s just me. Again, it’s not the feel of weight that’s annoying, but the trigger. I was fine with it before I bought something else though, lol.

The Sako A7 Roughtech Pro is a bigger gun than either of the above. It wouldn’t be a comfortable bush gun, in my opinion, though I hunted the bush with rifles longer than that. I just don’t think that’s what you are looking for, knowing your hunting style. My 30-06 is topped with a heavy Leica and that’s what it weighs at with no sling:

The scope is pretty heavy though - 620g or 21.9oz, according to the specs.

You can handle all of them when you drive down and see what they are like if you don’t buy anything until then. I am also interested in what you will choose in case I finally decide to sell the BLR or trade it for something else as our hunting styles are similar (why I chose the BLR in the first place). I have been thinking about stainless Kimber Hunter for bush with that 1-5 Leupold I mentioned above.

Edit: I included photos with weights in grams as well because I am a metric guy myself, unless it comes to construction, lol.
Old 08-15-2020, 12:22 AM

Wont find a better stocking rifle IMHO than a
Brno 21/22.
Old 08-15-2020, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickn View Post
On CGN there’s a Kimber 84L 30-06 with a Swarovski scope on it, as well as a Winchester compact model 70 in 308 that would fit the bill.
I owned that gun. It is a good shooter.
Old 08-15-2020, 08:58 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Yeah, the idea of picking up a JM Marlin in good condition has been rattling around in my head as well. Not being a reloader I'd be more inclined to go with a 30-30... like I said, at 40 yards it pretty much any round will get er done.
Good choice too....I bought one at the Calgary Easter gun show in the early nineties....I use it in the blind....the ammo is cheap to buy too like you mentioned not being a reloader and keeping everything close this would fit your bill easily.....or maybe chambered in 35rem...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-15-2020, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
My BLR feels heavy to me. I have a Gold Medallion in 7-08 (my first not borrowed rifle) and this is what it weighs at with no scope and swivels, but rail and rings on:

Maybe it’s just Gold Medallion models, but mine feels pretty heavy. Like I mentioned, it was my first rifle, but I don’t think I would buy it again. And it’s actually not the feel weight that annoys me most, it’s the trigger. I bought a Leupold VX5-HD 1-5x24 scope for it last year and haven’t installed it still. And not sure if I will, lol. Thinking I should probably sell the gun altogether and buy something else for the money.

It stopped going with me almost anywhere after I bought the Browning X-Bolt in 243. This is what that rifle weighs at with the scope (Leupold VX3i 3.5-10x40) and a sling (Kodiak whatever it is called rubber sling):

The difference is not that much (300g and the weight of VX3i is 357g, according to the specs at Leupold website, no clue how heavy the sling is), but the rifle feels a lot lighter than the BLR. Maybe it’s just me. Again, it’s not the feel of weight that’s annoying, but the trigger. I was fine with it before I bought something else though, lol.

The Sako A7 Roughtech Pro is a bigger gun than either of the above. It wouldn’t be a comfortable bush gun, in my opinion, though I hunted the bush with rifles longer than that. I just don’t think that’s what you are looking for, knowing your hunting style. My 30-06 is topped with a heavy Leica and that’s what it weighs at with no sling:

The scope is pretty heavy though - 620g or 21.9oz, according to the specs.

You can handle all of them when you drive down and see what they are like if you don’t buy anything until then. I am also interested in what you will choose in case I finally decide to sell the BLR or trade it for something else as our hunting styles are similar (why I chose the BLR in the first place). I have been thinking about stainless Kimber Hunter for bush with that 1-5 Leupold I mentioned above.

Edit: I included photos with weights in grams as well because I am a metric guy myself, unless it comes to construction, lol.
My old Ruger weighed about what that A7 does, It was my main rifle for decades but eventually a day of carrying it in hand started to bother my wrists.

Interesting that BLR weighs that much, I thought they claimed the weight at around 6.5 lbs? That said, I'd be interested in handling it. Between the Husky's and the Lee Enfields it takes a truly awful trigger to throw me off.

Which brings me to my previous point, my Husqvarna's both weigh in well under 7.5 lbs scoped and loaded. They have wood stocks and a slick Mauser action, the triggers arent the best and I'm still working on some scope ring alignment issues... in terms of what I want in a rifle its awfully hard to beat them.
Old 08-15-2020, 10:30 AM

Quote:
My old Ruger weighed about what that A7 does, It was my main rifle for decades but eventually a day of carrying it in hand started to bother my wrists.

Interesting that BLR weighs that much, I thought they claimed the weight at around 6.5 lbs? That said, I'd be interested in handling it. Between the Husky's and the Lee Enfields it takes a truly awful trigger to throw me off.

Which brings me to my previous point, my Husqvarna's both weigh in well under 7.5 lbs scoped and loaded. They have wood stocks and a slick Mauser action, the triggers arent the best and I'm still working on some scope ring alignment issues... in terms of what I want in a rifle its awfully hard to beat them.

If you take those Huskies into a good gunsmith he can either adjust or replace the triggers and give you one of the nicest triggers available. Those old Husqvarna rifles are really great guns.
Old 08-15-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
If you take those Huskies into a good gunsmith he can either adjust or replace the triggers and give you one of the nicest triggers available. Those old Husqvarna rifles are really great guns.
As well as fix my ring alignment problems once and for all too, maybe install a set of Remington irons and bed one of them into an aftermarket stock... got one you would suggest using?

I agree, they are great rifles.
Old 08-15-2020, 10:41 AM

Quote:
As well as fix my ring alignment problems once and for all too... got one you would suggest using?

I agree, they are great rifles.

Yes, they could fix that too, may be just a bad tapping job. Where are you located as there are a number of good gunsmiths in Alberta. David Henry in Bentley, Rick at Alberta Tactile in Calgary, Henry Remple Calgary, Bob Galloway Rocky Mountain House to name just a few..
Old 08-15-2020, 11:46 AM

I would spend the money to make your Husqvarna exactly what you want and use the rest of the budget for something else. I’ve been slowly moving towards quality over quantity in my collection.

Could also spend what you need to on the Husky to make it great and buy a lever action 30-30 for a bush rifle. I installed an XS ghost ring on one of mine and find it easy to aim and plenty accurate for the range I’ll ever shoot a 30-30.

Gerry Burnie
Old 08-15-2020, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Yes, they could fix that too, may be just a bad tapping job. Where are you located as there are a number of good gunsmiths in Alberta. David Henry in Bentley, Rick at Alberta Tactile in Calgary, Henry Remple Calgary, Bob Galloway Rocky Mountain House to name just a few..
I'm in northern AB, the local "gunsmith" also does fridge repairs... having had him work on my fridge I would not let him work on my rifle.

On both Huskys if I loosen off the rear scope ring I can slip a .003" feeler under the scope, they are also both off a little laterally, same direction IIRC. Some DIY ring lapping has them shooting OK, but with the rear ring loosened off they are tack drivers.
Old 08-15-2020, 01:21 PM

Quote:
I'm in northern AB, the local "gunsmith" also does fridge repairs... having had him work on my fridge I would not let him work on my rifle.

On both Huskys if I loosen off the rear scope ring I can slip a .003" feeler under the scope, they are also both off a little laterally, same direction IIRC. Some DIY ring lapping has them shooting OK, but with the rear ring loosened off they are tack drivers.

Northern Alberta is a big place. If you are on the west side, take the gun to Corlane's in Dawson. Do not know of anyone in Ft MAc as the lst time I lived there was 1980, maybe try PMing Cat.
Old 08-15-2020, 04:50 PM

Quote:
I hunted with a borrowed rifle for a couple of seasons that was heavier and longer. I didn’t mind. Once I went in with a shorter and lighter rifle, don’t think I will ever go with that borrowed gun again, unless I don’t have a choice, lol. You can say I didn’t know any better back then.

Quote:
The rings are 4.7 oz, the rail is another 2 ounces, which gets you closer to 6.5, but still not quite - still 7 oz over what they are stating on the website. I don’t know.

Quote:
Sounds like you already have what you are looking for
Old 08-15-2020, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
I would spend the money to make your Husqvarna exactly what you want and use the rest of the budget for something else. I’ve been slowly moving towards quality over quantity in my collection.

Could also spend what you need to on the Husky to make it great and buy a lever action 30-30 for a bush rifle. I installed an XS ghost ring on one of mine and find it easy to aim and plenty accurate for the range I’ll ever shoot a 30-30.
We could share a campfire but I do like my 32 Special!