Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-11-2020, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I have always been fascinated with Communism and Russia, but alas I am a conservative with a soft heart. Here's a bit of proof

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk
I don't want to tell you how to vote, but you got the best man for the job in 4th. Sloan is the only guy I can see unifying the country and beating Trudeau.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 08-11-2020, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
You don’t need to be a scientist to figure out that kids are just as capable of catching and spreading any virus an adult can. If that is a mystery to you,
I have two questions for you.
1. is it dark in there and 2. does your back hurt?

I am not by the way ,suggesting we keep things in lockdown re school.I am saying take the precautions like wearing a mask seriously and get with the program. Think of it as an opportunity to teach our kids that it’s not all about one person , them or you but the community as a whole.
Well apparently you do have to read research papers on the subject, becuse the research says that transmission is rare in kids under 10.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 08-11-2020, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Several countries went back to school and saw little to no change on the infection rate as a whole. Its amazing how data actually shows that young kids don't spread the disease.

Now if you want to make the argument high schoolers should have to wear a mask, I have no problem with that, as the data shows they could potentially spread the disease.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...249-2/fulltext
You neglect to mention that the countries that sent children successfully back had very reduced class size and mask usage.
Old 08-11-2020, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
You neglect to mention that the countries that sent children successfully back had very reduced class size and mask usage.
Again this is a false statement. Iceland sent the kids back without masks, and did fine. In fact kids born later then 2005 aren't required to wear a mask anywhere in Iceland, and its only recommended in close quarters like public transit where the 2 meter distance can't be maintained for everyone else.
Old 08-11-2020, 09:26 PM

Quote:
It's like you stopped reading from the ECDC article. "Investigations of cases identified in school settings suggest that child to child transmission in schools is uncommon and not the primary cause of SARS-CoV-2 infection in children whose onset of infection coincides with the period during which they are attending school, particularly in preschools and primary schools."
No I read that but the use of terms such as "suggest" and "uncommon" neither rule out transmission amongst children nor give me a great sense of certainty with their findings. ie not the primary cause does not rule out secondary or tertiary cause.

I reckon it is early days and we have limited data at this point.

Time will tell I suppose.
Old 08-12-2020, 06:35 AM

Iceland, a tiny population nation with one point of entry.
Iceland, an aggressive testing rate that lead the world per capita.
Iceland, more aggressive tracing and contact tracing than anywhere, period.
Iceland, entire groups put in quarantine.
Iceland, used deCODE to study virus and map its spread.
Iceland, decisions were made by public health.
Iceland, a culture that is willing to follow direction from authority for the better good of the whole community over the individual. In Iceland if they suggested masks, you know what they’d do? They’d wear masks. They and similar countries are much more inclined to follow guidelines in the name of looking out for each other.

You’re drawing at straws if you are trying to compare Iceland to Alberta.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvsask View Post
Iceland, a tiny population nation with one point of entry.
Iceland, an aggressive testing rate that lead the world per capita.
Iceland, more aggressive tracing and contact tracing than anywhere, period.
Iceland, entire groups put in quarantine.
Iceland, used deCODE to study virus and map its spread.
Iceland, decisions were made by public health.
Iceland, a culture that is willing to follow direction from authority for the better good of the whole community over the individual. In Iceland if they suggested masks, you know what they’d do? They’d wear masks. They and similar countries are much more inclined to follow guidelines in the name of looking out for each other.

You’re drawing at straws if you are trying to compare Iceland to Alberta.
Yep!
Old 08-12-2020, 08:22 AM

Well let’s see what kind of school year the kids have because the plan seems to constantly change. Looks like it will be starting as a modified schedule for my kid not normal full time schedule

Seems like the plan changes every week
Old 08-12-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Well let’s see what kind of school year the kids have because the plan seems to constantly change. Looks like it will be starting as a modified schedule for my kid not normal full time schedule

Seems like the plan changes every week
Where are you located?
Old 08-12-2020, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Where are you located?
Drayton

Wife just got an email this morning

Guess my wife needs to work on her reading. They will be having staggered starting dates according to grade but looks like the will be full time

Never trust your wife to relay information lol
Old 08-12-2020, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Drayton

Wife just got an email this morning

Guess my wife needs to work on her reading. They will be having staggered starting dates according to grade but looks like the will be full time

Never trust your wife to relay information lol
Staggered starting dates are wise. You avoid the big crowds before staff have had the opportunity to teach the kids how things will be done, as it is going to be a huge change for them, and there will be massive pent up energy having been away from school for as long as they have been.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:49 AM
Banned

I have 2 family friends who are both teaching in elementary. Both of them agree it would be better to keep online/home schooling. Reason being too many students in classroom, one of them has 40 kids to look after. In best of times it was near impossible to control their behaviours, with all these measures put in place they just don't see how they will have any time left for acctual teaching. They both want to get back to work and are not afraid to face the challenge, but at the same time they just don't see how this will work out. Add to that a constant change of opinions and guidelines they'll have to adapt to on the fly. Also some public schools in Calgary are advocating for even ratio of black/white teachers, no matter the qualifications. Nothing against any race instructing my kid, as long as they qualify on experience and not skin color. Too much crap being shoved into educational system all at once.

So far i think i'll keep my kid at home, yes i'll have to spend 3-4 hours a day acting as teacher
Old 08-12-2020, 08:55 AM

Found the statement by American CDC expert interesting; He said " You can either open your Bars or your Schools but not both"
Old 08-12-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Staggered starting dates are wise. You avoid the big crowds before staff have had the opportunity to teach the kids how things will be done, as it is going to be a huge change for them, and there will be massive pent up energy having been away from school for as long as they have been.
Staggered start dates is reasonable and I think the new restrictions are going to be a nightmare for students and teachers. Wife has been rambling off all kinds of stuff this morning. Looks like a ton of rules and steps coming forward regarding Covid19 but this should be no surprise

Guess in the email they are considering staggered schedules for time of day as well but that has not been finalized. Either way it sounds like things will likely continue to change before the kids start and likely we will see changes throughout the year

Anyone worried about schools reopening during Covid19 I can definitely say it looks like steps are being taken to limit issues
Old 08-12-2020, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk270 View Post
Face shields are readily available and some authorities suggest they may be pretty good for protection. There are a few masks with clear cut-outs to show the mouth.
Wow
Old 08-12-2020, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Staggered start dates is reasonable and I think the new restrictions are going to be a nightmare for students and teachers. Wife has been rambling off all kinds of stuff this morning. Looks like a ton of rules and steps coming forward regarding Covid19 but this should be no surprise

Guess in the email they are considering staggered schedules for time of day as well but that has not been finalized. Either way it sounds like things will likely continue to change before the kids start and likely we will see changes throughout the year

Anyone worried about schools reopening during Covid19 I can definitely say it looks like steps are being taken to limit issues
It will be different for sure. Everybody is flying by the seat of their pants trying to do what they can within the parameters given. I can't speak for your school district, but the one I work for, Edmonton Public, has done a good job planning for a return.

However, I say this loudly to everyone, it won't be seamless. Far, far from it.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:49 AM

Those who are thinking of keeping their kids home need to realize that this iteration of online learning will not be the ICU version of Education Lite that was delivered in the spring. At that time the Minister directed schools to only cover the basic essentials necessary for progression to the next level. Large swaths of content and curriculum were left off the plate.

Students who stay home this time will have 2 to 3 times the work they had in the spring.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 08-12-2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
Those who are thinking of keeping their kids home need to realize that this iteration of online learning will not be the ICU version of Education Lite that was delivered in the spring. At that time the Minister directed schools to only cover the basic essentials necessary for progression to the next level. Large swaths of content and curriculum were left off the plate.

Students who stay home this time will have 2 to 3 times the work they had in the spring.
100% correct

My School division orders were very clear for work sent home : Literacy and Numeracy only for k-9 ...end stop.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:05 PM

This is a good read for those who actually want to know whats going on. Too many guys with opinions without any knowledge.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020...pite-outbreaks
Old 08-12-2020, 12:12 PM

Quote:
It will be different for sure. Everybody is flying by the seat of their pants trying to do what they can within the parameters given. I can't speak for your school district, but the one I work for, Edmonton Public, has done a good job planning for a return.

However, I say this loudly to everyone, it won't be seamless. Far, far from it.
It's an evolving situation, so will be lots of adjustment going forward. From everything I'm seeing it'll be safe, although smaller class sizes, staggered recess/lunch, and hand sanitizer in class rooms would be the measures I'd want to see. The masks are controversial and have little evidence showing to be beneficial at this time in k-9 students.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:14 PM

So now that you teachers will be in a high risk area do you stay home now after work?Would be hard visiting your parents knowing your high risk. Will be Hard to deal with I’m sure.
Old 08-12-2020, 02:10 PM

Quote:
This is a good read for those who actually want to know whats going on. Too many guys with opinions without any knowledge.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020...pite-outbreaks
A good article. The take away from it seems to be that no one has all the answers at this time and they'll know more as the school year progresses and can look at the data as it comes in.
Old 08-12-2020, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten, View Post
So now that you teachers will be in a high risk area do you stay home now after work?Would be hard visiting your parents knowing your high risk. Will be Hard to deal with I’m sure.
What about the grocery store clerk, the bank teller, the vet assistant, gas station attendant, server, the person at the post office, the hair dresser, and the list goes on.

-Billy Molls
Old 08-12-2020, 02:12 PM

Quote:
It's an evolving situation, so will be lots of adjustment going forward. From everything I'm seeing it'll be safe, although smaller class sizes, staggered recess/lunch, and hand sanitizer in class rooms would be the measures I'd want to see. The masks are controversial and have little evidence showing to be beneficial at this time in k-9 students.
Quote:
"Masks likely blunt spread at school, but children—even more than adults—find them uncomfortable to wear for hours and may lack the self-discipline to wear them without touching their faces or freeing their noses. Does discomfort override a potential public health benefit?"
Old 08-12-2020, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
Quote:
"Masks likely blunt spread at school, but children—even more than adults—find them uncomfortable to wear for hours and may lack the self-discipline to wear them without touching their faces or freeing their noses. Does discomfort override a potential public health benefit?"
They won’t be wearing them for hours Scott.

-Billy Molls
Old 08-12-2020, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
What about the grocery store clerk, the bank teller, the vet assistant, gas station attendant, server, the person at the post office, the hair dresser, and the list goes on.
Last I checked there wasn’t unattended kids spitting and running around the grocery store.
Old 08-12-2020, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten, View Post
Last I checked there wasn’t unattended kids spitting and running around the grocery store.
There ain't kids spitting running around and spitting in my class either. Sheesh.
Old 08-12-2020, 04:09 PM
Banned

Quote:

Spring time Education lite was too easy, my kid gets whole week done in a day, on paper. It was only grade 3 content. If he was older i would probably consider a different route, being it's start of grade 4 he'll do fine.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeprli View Post
Spring time Education lite was too easy, my kid gets whole week done in a day, on paper. It was only grade 3 content. If he was older i would probably consider a different route, being it's start of grade 4 he'll do fine.
Yep. It wasn't a science. We got shut down on Monday morning and had online content up on Tuesday afternoon. In the same classes we had some parents complaining that there wasn't enough work and others that were complaining that there was way too much. The government mandate was 5hrs per week for elementary. (About 8 hrs for Jr. High and 3hrs per core course for High School.) Some kids would get that done in an hour -- others in 10 hours. It was an average target and something that was put on teachers with zero direction or planning up front. The online learning was largely delivered by people with no experience or training in doing so. Generally I am proud of the job that my teachers did.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 08-12-2020, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Yep. It wasn't a science. We got shut down on Monday morning and had online content up on Tuesday afternoon. In the same classes we had some parents complaining that there wasn't enough work and others that were complaining that there was way too much. The government mandate was 5hrs per week for elementary. (About 8 hrs for Jr. High and 3hrs per core course for High School.) Some kids would get that done in an hour -- others in 10 hours. It was an average target and something that was put on teachers with zero direction or planning up front. The online learning was largely delivered by people with no experience or training in doing so. Generally I am proud of the job that my teachers did.
As I reflect on the online debacle, I worked 3x harder for 1/3 the results.