Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-14-2020, 04:41 AM

Default Ford 6.2 vs 7.3

Anyone have some real life experience to compare the 2 engines?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-14-2020, 05:55 AM

Are you asking about the new 7.3 gasser or the old 7.3 diesel?
Old 08-14-2020, 06:29 AM

Default Ford 6.2 vs 7.3

Sorry. New gas.
I’ve been running 150s but looking to move to a 350. Can’t justify the diesel as much as mama would like to roll coal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-14-2020, 08:47 AM

I prefer the 6.2

Had a couple and loved them.

The 7.3 didnt blow my hair back.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 08-14-2020, 08:50 AM

No experience but a 350 is a lot of truck, if it were me I would take the larger option without hesitation. New 7.3 should do ok.
Old 08-14-2020, 09:49 AM

On a different note, anybody else think that they still make 7.3L displacement engines in the 21st century is insane?
Old 08-14-2020, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENINC View Post
On a different note, anybody else think that they still make 7.3L displacement engines in the 21st century is insane?
Only people that spell in all caps and don't understand that some people use a truck for more than driving down to the local Starbucks.
These are the same people that see the specs for a turbocharged, small displacement engine and believe it will tow as well as a similar spec big block for half a million kilometres.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 08-14-2020, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
Only people that spell in all caps and don't understand that some people use a truck for more than driving down to the local Starbucks.
These are the same people that see the specs for a turbocharged, small displacement engine and believe it will tow as well as a similar spec big block for half a million kilometres.
Generally True - however ….

I towed around my boat with a 5.3 chev gasser but on one family vacation we hooked up the boat to the wife's 3.0 turbo diesel SUV and there was no comparison whatsoever.

It pulled through the mountains and all over BC without so much as a bead of sweat.

The turbo diesel was far better on fuel, could easily outpull, out tow that gasser and it wasn't even close. Not even a sniff. I was stunned. Literally.

I guess it depends on what you are comparing and how "often" you do that - because there's also lots to be said about the tow vehicle, suspension, frame and weight (for braking and sway control) that may become a consideration.
Old 08-14-2020, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENINC View Post
You obviously don’t know that Ford came out with a new gas engine to improve from the 6.2 gas.

I don’t have any personal experience besides what I’ve researched before it was released and depending how the first couple years go. I wouldn’t hesitate buying one for my tow rig I want in a few years.
Old 08-14-2020, 01:25 PM

Pretty early for anyone to say much about the new 7.3L gas engines I’d say.

6.2L is a tried and true brute. Could probably get a good deal on a leftover new.
Old 08-14-2020, 06:40 PM

Wink Too easy, must resist obvious Chevy joke

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Generally True - however ….

I towed around my boat with a 5.3 chev gasser but on one family vacation we hooked up the boat to the wife's 3.0 turbo diesel SUV and there was no comparison whatsoever.

It pulled through the mountains and all over BC without so much as a bead of sweat.

The turbo diesel was far better on fuel, could easily outpull, out tow that gasser and it wasn't even close. Not even a sniff. I was stunned. Literally.

I guess it depends on what you are comparing and how "often" you do that - because there's also lots to be said about the tow vehicle, suspension, frame and weight (for braking and sway control) that may become a consideration.
I was alluding to the people who compare small gassers with turbos to big block gassers or even diesels for HD towing and think they will get the same longevity out of the engine. Not the occasional recreational use.

You can't beat a good diesel for pure grunt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chevy owners.jpg (50.7 KB, 79 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 08-14-2020, 07:02 PM

I have yet to be in the new 7.3 gas job.

The 6.2 is thirsty, but bullet proof. I have replaced only 2 engines on them in ~9 years of being on the bench at Ford. For the amount of them out there that is beyond good. On the rest of them I am yet to tear into one deeper than a a valve cover.

I have owned 2 6.2 trucks personally - a 350 dually and an F250. I still have the F250 - a 2011 that will soon roll over 300 000. I bought it at 260 000 without a care in the world. They do rev high to make their power - 4000+ RPM to haul a t/a trailer loaded up over a decent hill.

The 7.3 is supposed to be a bit of a big block throwback - overhead valve pushrod engine instead of the overhead cam engines that Ford had been putting out for over a decade. Long stroke for torque. Think closer to the old 460. I look forward to seeing their longevity.

The 6.2 will be very, very hard to top.
Old 08-15-2020, 12:09 AM

TFL on YouTube did a few videos on the new 7.3.

Ones on towing on Pike’s Peak and on the dyno versus a 6.2 were impressive.
Old 08-15-2020, 06:29 AM

I have the 2020 6.7 and had to get some fit and finish adjustments made so the gave me a F250 with the 6.2 as a loaner. 20l/100km avg for fuel economy and was down into 3rd gear empty coming out of the Drumheller valley. Was smooth once you got onto the flat but, "Wow" very under powered.
Old 08-15-2020, 08:11 AM

Appreciated Peace Meals summary of engine. He obviously is a guy with real knowledge.
Old 08-16-2020, 10:58 AM

Default 6.2

Can't comment on the new 7.3, however I've got a 2018 f250 with the 6.2 and can attest to it being bulletproof. Great truck and can get down to 16l/100km on the highway, average is 18.5 if not towing.
No complaints on the engine, does everything asked.
Can't go wrong with the bigger engine though 😁
Old 08-16-2020, 08:42 PM

6.2 is great, but thirsty like all gas engines are when towing.

Minor cost if you ask me because they cost less initially compared to desiel and less maintenance costs...

Most people tow the heavy loads with the 3.73? gears instead of the 4.30s? because they are more commonly found.

The gas engines handle 12,000 lbs great. The 3/4 and 1ton diesels are putting out more ft lbs of torque than many heavy rigs produce.

I think one reason to look at the new 7.3 is more power but same mileage with the new transmission.
Old 08-16-2020, 08:52 PM

Again no experience with the new 7.3 but for the past 6/7 years my work has gotten F250s with the 6.2 and it has proved a very reliable and low maintenance engine. Most our trucks get a lot of idling and average 20-25000 miles a year. Due to the nature of our work we spend more time off pavement on primitive forest service roads or poorly maintained gravel roads.