Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-08-2012, 04:06 PM

Default Puking Dog after first Duck Hunt

Hey Gents

Took my dog out for her first Duck hunt this morning. Since getting home she has puked 3 times.

She retrieved about 10 birds and outside of puking really has no noticeable issues.

She has been in water all her life and retrieves bumpers from the water regularly. She has also worked with frozen ducks before.

We have found that she has a temperamental stomach when it comes to eating and this is the first time she has spent much time in "Duck Water" I am thinking the water from the slew isn't agreeing with her.

Anyone else ever experience something like that with their dog?

Doodle
Old 09-08-2012, 04:14 PM
Gone Hunting

Sometimes they take on water on the big swims. It could also be the quality of the water. Is it Alkali?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 09-08-2012, 04:51 PM

Default Yup it is alkali slough

Probably took in mouthfuls of water bringing back all those ducks Darin.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:39 PM

I figured. She hasn' puked since sometime mid-afternoon so hopefully everything is Ok now.

I hope she adjusts to this. Cleaning up 3 piles of puke after every duck hunt isn't something I am looking forward to.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodle30 View Post
I figured. She hasn' puked since sometime mid-afternoon so hopefully everything is Ok now.

I hope she adjusts to this. Cleaning up 3 piles of puke after every duck hunt isn't something I am looking forward to.
Is your wife not home? Just pretend you never saw it. Jk
Old 09-08-2012, 09:40 PM

My pup did the same ate a bunch or grass and gagged for a while then puked up one of those lovely grass logs then good to go . A gulp or 2 of marsh water would have me doing the same.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:52 PM

I had my pup out for the first time today and no issues yet. Hopefully nothing will happen. My first pup had a sensitive stomach the vet told us to just keep the food away for 24 hours and just give them water. Apparently it helps rest the system. Its kind of tough watching the pup when he/she is hungry but it seems to work. Another thing you can try and just boil plain white rice and give it to them. Hope pup feels better.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:06 PM

Ive had a couple hunting labs that get that way. They swallow water when they have birds in their mouth, and even when they are just swimming to the birds.

One thing to watch out for that my old lab did that would make him puke would be eating grass. We would be picking up decoys and catch him eating grass at the lake/slough edge. This grass on the shores is covered in duck sheeat, and the algae that floats on the surfaces. It didnt do any favors for his stomach. Not sure if this is the case for you but I know my dog put a new meaning to "barforama" a time or two.