Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

View Poll Results: How would you prefer to close the gap on a ram once you confirm it's legal (say going from 800-1000y
Watch the ram(s) for at least a full day to learn their pattern before approaching? 2 3.85%
Put the ram(s) to bed, and close the gap in the morning while it's still dark. 10 19.23%
Wait for the rams to leave their beds to go feed, then sneak into their beds and wait for them 1 1.92%
Try to approach as soon as possible from above undetected 18 34.62%
Try to approach as soon as possible from below undetected 13 25.00%
Let them see you as you approach 1 1.92%
Try to approach in the last 30min of daylight, since they are less likely to run away at that time 1 1.92%
Other 9 17.31%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-11-2012, 08:21 AM

Default Preferred Method for closing the deal on a ram

After two unsuccessful attempts at getting a legal ram we had spotted into my crosshairs, I'm wondering what are the preferred methods for closing the gap from ~800-1000yds, down to sub-300yds.

I realize a whole bunch of factors play into which option is selected (wind, tomorrow's weather, how much hunting pressure is in the area, terrain....etc). For the purposes of this poll, just select your ideal choice.

Feel free to add your two cents if there is an option I missed.

Thanks

Last edited by sneer; 09-11-2012 at 08:38 AM.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:55 AM

I'm no expert but we watched my ram this year for a few days and even got busted on a couple stalks by him. On our 3rd attempt we waited untill he was bedded in the afternoon and I made my stalk. He winded me and saw me as I made my final approach at 200 yards. He didnt seem to bothered by me and It all worked out and I got my first Ram.

I don't think there is 1 right way to do this. So many factors! It definitely nice if you have some treed cover.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:39 AM

To the ppl who voted to approach from above undetected. Wouldn't that risk spooking the rams into fleeing? I thought Ram's were comfortable as long as you were below them, and somewhat visible.

I thought as soon as they caught wind or sight of you and you are above them, theyflee, (And I know from experience, once they flee, they are GONE! LOL)
Old 09-11-2012, 07:17 PM

For those picking "other", what are you doing? Shooting from further away? Teleporting?