Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-11-2012, 07:49 PM

Default Shine off of decoy spread

Hey can anyone point me towards the best paint used to take shine off of shell decoys without ruining my gear not exactly sure what everyone is using color,etc im assuming im looking for something that that is just a flat color? Let me know what works best and then i can go from there.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:02 PM

I use Krylon ultra flat on all my blinds ... Never painted decoys tho.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:05 PM

what kind of decoys do you have? As Mike has said, never put paint on decoys to reduce shine. If one was to repaint old decoys, UV paint is recommended, just google, easy enough to find...
Old 09-11-2012, 08:08 PM

Default Dullcote

Used to be sold in Canada by Testers (hobby shops like PMS) and it was a clear matte finish that took the shine off many paints. They no longer market it in Canada but have something else which they just call a clear matte finish spray can.

Like anything you have to test the product in a spot not noticeable before applying to the whole spread to see if it reacts to the finish. I am repainting a set of really good quality goose decoys this week because the previous owner did not read the label and the white he applied to the cheek patch , flanks and under rump turned beige/yellow (I suspect household oil base paint) when exposed to sunlight. Just about ruined a good quality flocked set of decoys. to make matters worse he couldn't keep the paint inside the lines.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:59 PM

They are final approach brand shell decoys, got a couple dozen, there the ones u can either lay on the ground or u can put them on the black pegs, im not sure they even have that much shine on them just firgured i would do it as a precation, i always had ducks decoy to my field spread geese is hit or miss, but they look dull enought to me, just wanted to hear other option on the matter.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:03 PM

Default In the past

We have taken new shells and set them up in the yard for a few days so the weather sun and dust could take a bit of the finish down. a little bit of use with stacking and storing will get them dull pretty quick. There is a bit of oil ducks and geese use to preen so it is not like the real birds do not have a bit of shimmering shine to them in direct light just don't want it to be glaring shine.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:29 AM

The only thing that'll make em shine is a heavy dew / frost on morning hunts, best trick I have found is to sprinkle a hand full of dirt on them if you suspect shine. We have 8-9 dozen of the FA shells they seem to work fine .
Old 09-12-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooseHunter 667 View Post
Hey can anyone point me towards the best paint used to take shine off of shell decoys without ruining my gear not exactly sure what everyone is using color,etc im assuming im looking for something that that is just a flat color? Let me know what works best and then i can go from there.

http://www.craftflocking.com/index.p...ing_for_Decoys
Old 09-12-2012, 08:14 AM

I use silos and have found laying them out and getting a water bottle and spraying the decoys then dust them up with a little soil works well just don't get them too wet