Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-11-2012, 09:46 PM

Default Bowhunting Elk by yourself???

So i've been bowhunting for the last couple of years and this year i really started to take it seriously. I am addicted to hunting elk with my bow. I have come very close to closing the deal on a couple of different bulls. I find it hard to call them in close and range and draw to shoot by yourself. The last bull i called in had me pin pointed while i was calling him and i didn't want to move more than necessary so i did not range him. Needless to say i shot over top of him. Just looking for any tips on hunting these guys by yourself. Anything would be appreciated.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:04 PM

get a montana decoy in a visable place, set it up and get the wind right, call em in. Don't call too much once they see it or they will pinpoint you. The decoy will keep their attention.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trouty View Post
get a montana decoy in a visable place, set it up and get the wind right, call em in. Don't call too much once they see it or they will pinpoint you. The decoy will keep their attention.
X2

Its very hard and can be frustrating. The buggers like to come to about 50-100yds and lock up, especially the herd bulls.

Lots of pee and a decoy. And try to move after calling if you can.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:17 PM

Default Yup gonna get me a decoy

Just got busted by a bull tonight. Cagey bugger!
Hunting with a partner is soo much easier.

I do like solo archery hunts. That whole 'alone in the bush with critters that can chew on you' thing. Good healthy fear for me.

Very tough to close the deal by yourself. If you are lucky enough to know the route the bull is gonna take to you, you may wanna dash ahead and try for an ambush shot while he's trying to pinpoint the 'cow' that was behind you.

I've heard it can work. I really should have tried it tonight.

Oh well... There's Friday.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 09-11-2012, 10:20 PM

It's all about the set up. Set up in a place where you want it to happen, do not let the elk decide where the encounter will happen or he will beat you every time. Do not abandon your call site too soon, give the bull a chance to come to you. A half an hour is a good length of time to stay at one site. I have had many elk come in after a half an hour. Set up in a place where you can see your maximum shooting distance downwind, as odds are he will want to circle down wind of you. Range all significant landmarks within your shooting range before you call, this way if he comes busting in you will be prepared. similarly, never call without an arrow on your string, for the same reasons! Set up in a place where you can be mobile, especially down wind so that you can move to intercept him when he makes his move to wind you. Call as little as possible, so he doesnt pinpoint you. When he is at a distance, call to him then move toward him and down wind, that way he cannot know where you are. Never move into a spot where he can hang up and wind you. If he does get into a spot like that, back out and save him for another day. Pushing a bad situation only educates him and then he is likely lost for the season. It's a lot to keep track of, but sooner or later the right bull at the right time will come in and you will have all of your poop together and it will be a moment you will never forget! I remember my first bow killed elk like it was yesterday! Dont get frustrated and kep your chin up! You have to mess up a lot of times before the first one happens. Fortunately, after the first one it seems (for a lot of people) that it gets a lot easier. Likely because you have learned your lessons from all of the failures already. Have fun!

Norm
Old 09-11-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanrd View Post
It's all about the set up. Set up in a place where you want it to happen, do not let the elk decide where the encounter will happen or he will beat you every time. Do not abandon your call site too soon, give the bull a chance to come to you. A half an hour is a good length of time to stay at one site. I have had many elk come in after a half an hour. Set up in a place where you can see your maximum shooting distance downwind, as odds are he will want to circle down wind of you. Range all significant landmarks within your shooting range before you call, this way if he comes busting in you will be prepared. similarly, never call without an arrow on your string, for the same reasons! Set up in a place where you can be mobile, especially down wind so that you can move to intercept him when he makes his move to wind you. Call as little as possible, so he doesnt pinpoint you. When he is at a distance, call to him then move toward him and down wind, that way he cannot know where you are. Never move into a spot where he can hang up and wind you. If he does get into a spot like that, back out and save him for another day. Pushing a bad situation only educates him and then he is likely lost for the season. It's a lot to keep track of, but sooner or later the right bull at the right time will come in and you will have all of your poop together and it will be a moment you will never forget! I remember my first bow killed elk like it was yesterday! Dont get frustrated and kep your chin up! You have to mess up a lot of times before the first one happens. Fortunately, after the first one it seems (for a lot of people) that it gets a lot easier. Likely because you have learned your lessons from all of the failures already. Have fun!

Norm
^^^^^^^^
Great advice coming from a guy who has shot more elk with his bow.....actually more animals with his bow than anyone else I know.

LC
Old 09-11-2012, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
^^^^^^^^
Great advice coming from a guy who has shot more elk with his bow.....actually more animals with his bow than anyone else I know.

LC
Awww, gee Lefty, flattery will get you everything! I'm gonna work extra hard to find a moose for you this week-end now, and Sammy said whe would make lasagna and cheese cake now for sure! lol
Old 09-11-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Awww, gee Lefty, flattery will get you everything! I'm gonna work extra hard to find a moose for you this week-end now, and Sammy said whe would make lasagna and cheese cake now for sure! lol
YES.....I knew it would work! Well buddy you put me onto my first bow elk. I was by myself when I shot it so you must have taught me one or two things!

LC
Old 09-11-2012, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
YES.....I knew it would work! Well buddy you put me onto my first bow elk. I was by myself when I shot it so you must have taught me one or two things!

LC
All good times! Many more to come!
Old 09-12-2012, 12:38 AM

Thanks a lot guys i was pretty frustrated when i screwed up but i remembered thats why they call it hunting and not killing! It truely is a magical experience when you can call in a bull elk big or little. If that was the only animal i could hunt ever again i don't think i would be too upset! I will definitely put the advice to good use this weekend!

Good luck to everyone!
Old 09-12-2012, 01:04 AM
Banned

@ normanrd

I had no idea they are that smart! Thanks for the great advice even though it wasn't directed this way. Maybe the elk you hunt should come tell that stuff to the ones that will block trails up here. lol
Old 09-12-2012, 07:13 AM

@ nornanrd

awesome advice... i need all the help i can get!!

thanks!
Old 09-12-2012, 08:06 AM

Default Elk /Self /Bow

Hi Guys

All great advise for sure --Ive been soooooo close a couple of timesthis year and last as well but they dont get big by being dumb -- I had a 5x5 @ 65 yds and he just looked at me after a 250 yard crawl through brush and cow dung --I had 6 bulls around me -- busted by the 6x6 just up the hill and I am done -- hunted across the gully and used my Hoochie mamma -- 6x busted me in bush 20yds --

Had beef that night

Back out Saturday -- cooler weather - maybe some squeels in 212 ?

Cheers

happy hunting

Ian

Last edited by archer8; 09-12-2012 at 08:07 AM. Reason: addi
Old 09-12-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tow Bow View Post
@ normanrd

I had no idea they are that smart! Thanks for the great advice even though it wasn't directed this way. Maybe the elk you hunt should come tell that stuff to the ones that will block trails up here. lol
Ya, the trailblockers generally occur early in the season around here, but once they get called in and figure the game out they wise up in a hurry. They are incredibly smart and will adapt quickly to survive! I have screwed up many times, and still do on a regular basis! It's all about the hunt! Think about it, you are in their back yard, talking their language and trying to cheat all of their instincts and survival skills so you can get them into bow range and get a shot. Not an easy task at all when you think about it that way!

Norm
Old 09-12-2012, 11:35 AM

Default Elk

Quote:
Ya, the trailblockers generally occur early in the season around here, but once they get called in and figure the game out they wise up in a hurry. They are incredibly smart and will adapt quickly to survive! I have screwed up many times, and still do on a regular basis! It's all about the hunt! Think about it, you are in their back yard, talking their language and trying to cheat all of their instincts and survival skills so you can get them into bow range and get a shot. Not an easy task at all when you think about it that way!

Norm
Hi Norm

I agree for sure -- I keep telling people that think we are out decimating the heards -to come out for a while and see how hard it is -- Id love to find one blocking a trail --

Cheers

Happy hunting

Ian