Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-03-2011, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
Full?
Yes. It's been sitting on our counter for a couple weeks. Don't want to throw it out, but don't know what to do with it...
Old 10-03-2011, 12:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7mm View Post
HAHAHAHA I was waiting for that hehehe, nope didnt try any of them on, it was tempting but you never know whos watching
Yeah... You never know what sort of perverts and sicko's you might find in the woods....lol
Old 10-03-2011, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb356 View Post
SO !!! ................. that's where boberama hang's out !!!
HA!!!
Old 10-03-2011, 08:02 AM

Nothing too exciting, an old car in the middle of the woods once. No idea how they could have gotten it there as the trees were thick all around and old trees. It from the 30's or earlier I'd guess. Not unusual to find old cars in the woods, but the location of this was just very strange.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by project240 View Post
I recently found a Hudey Beer, 1988 Cincinnati Bengals Championship can. This was near Elbow Falls, down the river, underneath a rock overhang.
Crazy!

Years ago after one of the biggest flood years I can remember, friends and I were walking along the Elbow River near Allen Bill Pond. This was the year that the Elbow blew the bank into Allen Bill, creating a large oxbow of sorts.

We were walking there just after the river had dropped, and I spotted a beer can from the top, and I immediately noticed that it had not been opened. It was wedged in some debris that was surrounding a willow bush. I pried it out, and low and behold it was a Molson Canadian beer can from waaaay back. The spout hole was a configuration that I have never seen. No date on the can, but I still have it. Haven't drank it yet!

Other things I have found in the woods:

-Several old wood stoves
-Old shells in vantage points along ridge tops
-Cars and trucks
-Grow operations
Old 10-03-2011, 10:13 AM
Banned

This one really made me think lol.......I found a super old rope and a noose layin at the bottom of a huge poplar tree. This was a cpl miles off a main road, down a very old, winding line. There was also an old wooden box about 18"x12" a few feet away. There were some small pieces of metal around the site, nothing I could make any sense of. One piece looked like it could be the hub off an old wagon wheel.

Other notable stuff, I found a piece of 2x2x1/4 angle iron about 10 feet long way back in the bush 3 weeks ago. Looked like it had only been there a cpl weeks if that. This was at least 2 miles from the closest you could get a truck, and no quad tracks anywhere. How in the world did it get there? Lol

Found a birch bark moose call hangin from a branch last year on the side of a line and an aluminum arrow shot into a tree straight across from it lol. No blood on the arrow.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:37 AM

Never found anything neat... But if anybody has found a Garmin GPS, a Leica 900 Range finder, or a pair of sunglasses in WMU 400 can ya PM me?
Old 10-03-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuludog View Post
Just recently found a big pile of Grizzly bear crap with a bear bell in it.
Dinner bell LOL
Old 10-03-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post
Never found anything neat... But if anybody has found a Garmin GPS, a Leica 900 Range finder, or a pair of sunglasses in WMU 400 can ya PM me?
Hahaha I tried to find your glasses but with no-avail, maybe took the wrong elk trail I dunno, but I was in the area and could not find them
Old 10-03-2011, 08:32 PM

when i found the skull in the woods, the first thing i did was call the police. But then i got curious about it. i picked it up, and started wondering who this person was, and why he had deer horns. lol.
daily affirmations. Jack Handy
Old 10-03-2011, 09:06 PM

Over the years I've found several knives, an old pocket watch, and compass. Found this old cook stove within several hundred yards of the continental divide way up on a high mountian. It's about 2' x 3' and 8 " deep. Must have been an old out fitters camp back in the day.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:18 PM

A few years ago on top of a remote mountain in the Willmore, i found a black plastic hair comb. No big deal.

One year later, on top of another mountain about 10 miles away, I'm sitting there glassing, look down at the ground, and there's another black plastic comb, weird or what?

Lots of those old tin woodstoves out in the mountains I've come across quite a few.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:18 PM

no comment on the cuke.

but I found a small steel container with an ounce of pot. and entire moose skeleton pinned under a tree felled by a beaver. the best was a freshly shot mallard drake 40 feet up in a tree branch when I was duck hunting. shook the tree, down fell the duck. no hunters anywhere on the trail, or at the trailhead to ask " is this your duck?". he didnt go to waste. oh, and I never did fire a shot that day.
keep up the thread !
Old 10-03-2011, 10:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yes. It's been sitting on our counter for a couple weeks. Don't want to throw it out, but don't know what to do with it...
Either Ebay or put it in the fridge.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Get it cold and Drink it!!
Old 10-04-2011, 07:38 AM

Samsquantch comb?
Old 10-04-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
OH geeze.....thats where I left it!

LC
Old 10-04-2011, 10:10 AM

In Manitoba.
Found a steam locomotive in the bush 9 miles from the nearest tracks.
a whiskey still, the copper was badly corroded.
I asked around and the no one knew anything about them or even that they were there.

In Alberta
About 6 miles into the bush, found a house trailer that looked as if the people just walked away from, clothes, furniture, cookware, dishes, everything still in it. no tracks of any kind leading in to it. Never could find it a second time.
A stack of the old crock jugs, about 10 or 12 of them, nothing around them just those jugs sitting in the bush.
A grave site miles from any town and no sign of any homestead around.
A backhouse sitting on the side of a river, no other buildings for miles. a groundhog had taken up residence in it.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:20 AM

I have to go back to the family farm in Saskatchewan to find it and that would be my sanity. ....something the city all too often and all too readily takes away.

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me
Old 10-04-2011, 11:13 AM

Well down by the bay...where the watermelons grow....I saw a moose kissing a goose...down by the bay.....

Few weeks ago I was in Gardiner, Montana on the border of Yellowstone. Decided to explore a path I saw running along the opposite side of the river from my camp. Turned out to be the Old Yellowstone Trail, what used to pass for a highway back in 1918. Didn't see many relics so on a whim I climbed the hillside and sure enough there was an old cemetary dating back to 1900 or so. Mostly disused since the 40s but found two more recent graves from the 80s. Wasn't maintained at all. Sitting on one grave was a cross bones. Looked like it had been there a while.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-09-13 09.34.39.jpg (100.1 KB, 662 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-09-13 09.41.16.jpg (101.4 KB, 671 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-09-13 09.51.04.jpg (96.2 KB, 667 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-09-13 09.43.57.jpg (97.5 KB, 733 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-09-13 09.44.44.jpg (97.8 KB, 739 views)
Old 10-04-2011, 11:37 AM

The remants of a teepee frame.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:48 PM

Found a whiskey runner's site just north of the crowsnest. Found the odd vehicle and homestead way back in the bush.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L. View Post
Found a whiskey runner's site just north of the crowsnest. Found the odd vehicle and homestead way back in the bush.
How do you know it was a bootleggers camp?
Old 10-04-2011, 01:59 PM

It was from the prohibition era and pretty darn close to the border. Also I asked about it and apparently there's more than one out there.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L. View Post
It was from the prohibition era and pretty darn close to the border. Also I asked about it and apparently there's more than one out there.
Right on, thats a cool find.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:10 PM

Default Weirdest Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
weirdest thing i have seen is a Honda Ridgeline with a big Winch on the front

Might as well get one for the Corolla then
Old 10-04-2011, 02:16 PM

Years ago, in the middle of the barrenlands, at least 170 miles from any hint of civilization, on the side of a small stream, I spotted a piece of shiny metal. Went over and it was a couple of metal bands, nickle plated, .....wierd contraption!
Anyways, I threw it in my pack and that night showed it at camp and explained where I'd found it. Didn't take long and someone identified it as a harmonica neck/head frame! Never did figure why anyone would be walking that country playing a harmonica hanging from their head, and how they managed to lose it.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:45 PM

My dad and I were fishing Wentzel lake and decided to pull onto an island to stretch our legs and water the trees.We were walking around and found a piece of a airplane ski,looked like the backend.A little further investigation found the other half,and parts of a propane stove and other like stuff that must of been abandoned to get the plane off the lake ice.
On another trip to Charles lake we found an old Trappers cabin on an finger of land that ran into a bay.There was a huge old home made wooden boat there.In a shed was a 1950's or 60's Viking motor and a few aluminum Kodak film canisters which I have never seen before.The really strange thing was there were lots of cages there.Long ones like 20 or 30 feet long each.I am assumeing they raised mink there.There were many other neet treasures there aswell as many visitors wrote or scratched there name,date and place of origin on the walls.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Cool View Post
Few weeks ago I was in Gardiner, Montana on the border of Yellowstone. Decided to explore a path I saw running along the opposite side of the river from my camp. Turned out to be the Old Yellowstone Trail, what used to pass for a highway back in 1918. Didn't see many relics so on a whim I climbed the hillside and sure enough there was an old cemetary dating back to 1900 or so. Mostly disused since the 40s but found two more recent graves from the 80s. Wasn't maintained at all. Sitting on one grave was a cross bones. Looked like it had been there a while.
The two bones in the third pic look like the forearm (ulna) bones. Any sign that an animal dug them up?
Old 10-04-2011, 10:10 PM

Was hiking across a mountain top in the NWT one day and found a deflated string of balloons from a car dealership in Alaska. On another mountain top in the NWT one day we stopped for lunch and flipped over a rock and was suprised to see a bunch of old garbage! My hunter and I had just been talking about how no one had ever stepped where we had...??? A fellow guide and his hunter walked up to a downed ram and there was a hunting knife beside the ram. The outfitter remembered that a guide had forgot his knife at a sheep kill in the same area.
Hiking into Gap lake and found what was left of a old lever action rifle leaning against a tree. Could still be there.