Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-05-2012, 10:52 AM

Default ok, lets put Zombies aside - lol

EVERYONE should have an emergency bag/ bug out bag/ 72 hour kit.

This got me started, a post from a fellow prepper on another site:

Quote:
before you go to bed - Tonight!!!
by southpier » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:33 pm

Please put a change of clothes, a toothbrush, and a few bucks in a plastic garbage bag and leave it next to whichever door you leave the house from. and if you don't use it tonight, put it in a better bag, with a few other things that might come in handy before you turn in tomorrow night. and repeat this nightly until you have a bag ready to grab on the way out which can sustain you for three days.

this is not a romantic sojourn into the gear-gadgeteer world which we all dunk our toes, but a real, close to home incident which happened to a guy i know.

wednesday morning at 4:30 am, 36 degrees and raining, the aparment complex he lived in burned to the ground. 42 units and everyone got out alive. that there is a ****ing miracle. older folks, kids, and in between. he grabbed his car keys and ran outside. happened that quick.

standing in the rain in his boxers, holding his keys, and watching everything he owned disappear.

within 3 hours the church down the road was giving blankets and coffee, but it still is a real ****er. the guy is an ex-marine, late 30's, has a job, and plenty of friends who will show their support in the weeks to come.
i believe in time he's be alright. material things can be replaced.

but please folks, pack something NOW
The first emergency I was trying to get ready for was an immediate "get out of your house NOW" situation (train derailment of chlorine or something, my house being on fire and me having to just grab a bag in seconds and leave, or - god forbid - a terrorist attack)

So my initial prep was a good bugout bag setup.
-72 hours of food (SUPER easy when you start putting it together),
-Water, I carry 3 litres minimum always filled in my pack & if I have time, I have a fold flat mylar bag from a Tim Hortons cardboard coffee box that I can fill in about 1 minute from almost any tap/faucet.
-Medications (Tylenol, Advil, Gravol, Benadryl, cough & cold meds,)
-warm clothes (long johns, gloves/mittens),
-portable radio,
-toiletries,
-emergency sleeping bag/blanket,
-copies or duplicates of personal documents (passport, drivers license, medical coverage, birth certificate, PROPERTY DEED* for when you can return home)
-Flashlight & spare batteries
-MAPS & GPS (if you ever get turned around, or have to just RUN from something, you do NOT want to waste time trying to find your way by wandering)
-something to pass long hours of waiting (cards, musical instrument, pocket games)
-a GOOD knife
-some rope or good twine
-a tarp or emergency bivy or LIGHT tent (you may not be spending the night inside)
-Binoculars (you may want to look around to see where other people are gathering or for what to stay away from)
-charging cables & plugs for cellular phones

Look up people living in the dome in New Orleans and read what they complained about NOT having - and thats a semi-rescue situation,

The flip side of the situation could be just as startling, imagine driving home from someplace you were just out, or travelling & as you round the corner to your neighbourhood you see police cars, barricades, firetrucks & ashes. It happens all over the world everyday - one house catches fire, 5+ more burn as a result. While you were out - there was a fire & your house was involved and is burned to the ground. All you own is now what you have in your vehicle, did you have an emergency kit in your car ?

Here in Calgary we had a bad fire downtown that burned a whole community down. http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/...5-c2513eba5078

****SERIOUSLY, its not a matter of "Oh, honey the power's out, get some candles !", consider more than just 'end of the world' - you may have to get out of your house in SECONDS for something as simple as a fire. It takes 10 minutes to just throw some basics in a bag - Tonight could be your emergency, you could be the distraught person on the front of the newspaper.

Last edited by Coho911; 01-05-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:14 AM

So... this is basically a "SHTF/TEOTWAWKI" thread?

I talked to Petra earlier and she suggested a different outcome.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:48 AM

No, it's a "being prepared'' thread.

That means Covering your ass.

The world doesn't have to end for someone to need a backup/alternative plan. The only REAL emergency is the one that affects YOU. If Europe degrades into civil war, but all we have happen here is prices go up - not real problems. But if your house lights on fire and you need to get out - are YOU prepared ? Do you want to be standing in the street, middle of winter without ANYTHING watching all you own turn into charcoal ?

People don't have to do anything to be ready for emergencies. It's their own choice. Some people also believe that: "It will never happen to me", "the government will look after me", or "I'll figure something out when it happens".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boberama View Post
Old 01-05-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boberama View Post
It's a whatever you think needs to be prepared for thread and how you are preparing for it. ie: SHTF, Fire, Flood, Economy crash, WROL, TEOTWAWKI etc...
Old 01-05-2012, 06:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coho911 View Post
No, it's a "being prepared'' thread.

That means Covering your ass.

The world doesn't have to end for someone to need a backup/alternative plan. The only REAL emergency is the one that affects YOU. If Europe degrades into civil war, but all we have happen here is prices go up - not real problems. But if your house lights on fire and you need to get out - are YOU prepared ? Do you want to be standing in the street, middle of winter without ANYTHING watching all you own turn into charcoal ?

People don't have to do anything to be ready for emergencies. It's their own choice. Some people also believe that: "It will never happen to me", "the government will look after me", or "I'll figure something out when it happens".
If my house burns down I will get a hotel room and submit the receipt to my insurance company.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganderblaster View Post
I'm prepared for an eternity all prepped up!My God reigns I have no fear!
Old 01-05-2012, 10:40 PM

Good for you ! hope it works out

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridger2010 View Post
If my house burns down I will get a hotel room and submit the receipt to my insurance company.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:27 PM

yeah, I bet the folks that lived in Slave Lake would have loved your optimism when half their town burned down not so long ago. Thats the sort of **** you want to have a plan for.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:28 PM

Smile This sounds a lot like life on the farm!

This preppers thing is for city folk right. You don't have large gardens with veggies, livestock, grain in bins, wells, generators and tanks of fuel.

I wonder what we country cousins should do. I've always heard that your neighbours were essential to your survival. I think it would be true no matter what.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
This preppers thing is for city folk right. You don't have large gardens with veggies, livestock, grain in bins, wells, generators and tanks of fuel.

I wonder what we country cousins should do. I've always heard that your neighbours were essential to your survival. I think it would be true no matter what.
there is a reason that there is a saying that goes:a cuontry boy will survive. and its got nothing to do with gardens, livestock,grian,generators, or fuel, just what you got between your ears.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:20 AM

What scenario are you guys prepping for? There are a billion possible things that could happen.

My Dad started prepping me years ago. I'm smart, I stay even headed in tough situations, I think before I react. When situations arise, I can deal with them. I don't run to the garage to get the blanket I have prepped and hide under it.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
What scenario are you guys prepping for? There are a billion possible things that could happen.

My Dad started prepping me years ago. I'm smart, I stay even headed in tough situations, I think before I react. When situations arise, I can deal with them. I don't run to the garage to get the blanket I have prepped and hide under it.
So, what will you do if TSHTF. Use your neighbours blanket and hope he'll feed you. Do some research about possible disasters in your area. Also, maybe you'll find that prepping is prudent, sort of like insurance.
The experts tell us that there is a 1 in 250 chance that if you drive, you'll be involved in an auto accident (do you have car insurance?). The experts tell us that there is a 1 in 1200 chance that your home will get damaged by fire (do you have house insurance?). The experts tell us that the chances we'll have a catastrophic event that will affect society as a whole is 100% (prepping is my insurance for that). Prepping isn't a 100% guarantee but it gives me a better chance than keeping my head in the sand.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:28 PM

Hello all, New member to this site, have been reading the forums for a while.
I would not consider myself paranoid and believe prepping is necessary. I, like many of you, have children and feel it is my responsibility to be ready for problems which may arise. The next few days the temp is supposed to go -50c with the wind. "If" the power were to go out like it did in Quebec for an extended period of time mid winter I don't want to have to rely on my neighbors or live in the arena. And on the other side of the spectrum world chaos and total break down of society could happen again like it has so many other times in world history. I certainly do not know what will happen in the future but would like to make an honest go at whatever comes my way with no regrets of being unprepared.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:47 AM

In trying to be able to take care of the basics I figured I should be able to whip together simple bread for home, camping or 'gettin outa Dodge'.

So ...trying to make simple breads in the oven today - lesson 1: Premix the yeast & warm water ! lol. Brick Bread #1 fail.

Lesson 2: Crock-pot bread... (3 hours & counting)

I'll be trying Ray Mears method for Camp bread next... (but with the cold snap it'll be in the oven - but similar mixing method. I want to commit this easy stuff to memory )

(part 1 of 3... the others care linked of the first part)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NIadr3F2QA
Old 01-19-2012, 10:20 PM

Came home from work tonight and this was across the road...

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...258/story.html

Our place is directly across the road. After supper ash and sparks were falling on our balcony/roof. 5 minutes of throwing clothes in our hiking bags, getting our emergency prepared/car camping rubber-maid tote ready to go and putting a few of the small things we weren't prepared to loose in the bags (for me it was an external hard drive with 25,000+ pictures) we were ready to leave to a family members place or our cabin if the fire fighters came knocking on our door. Thankfully they didn't and it looks like things are under control (at least for us).

There were about 80 suites in the building that caught fire and by the sounds of it, it will have to be completely torn down. The backhoes are already taking down the front of the building.

Goes to show you that it can happen to anyone at anytime... and even if you never need it it's a good idea to at least be prepared if something relatively small happens.

Feel really bad for the residents in the building that might have lost everything, luckily no one has been reported injured.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:08 AM

Default Means of defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by varaldarade View Post
The global economy almost collapsed in 2008. If the fed hadn't printed money there would have been a run on banks in the US and the economy would have collapsed. You probably want to have some food, water, fuel, salt and means of defense at your disposal.
http://climate.envsci.rutgers.edu/pd...iAmJan2010.pdf
If we recall how quickly the situation degenerated and got out of control in New Orleans.......about one day. I'm not saying hurricanes will happen in AB or the whole situation will tank in a day, but what about a week or a month?

I'm surprised we haven't properly discussed the "means of defense" issue.
Gotta have:
1. Reliable pistol - Glock
2. Compact shotgun of sorts - Benelli
3. Combat rifle - Swiss Arms
4. Sniping rifle - Sako TRG-42

Anyone have all or some of these bases covered? Suggestions?
Old 01-20-2012, 12:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOAhunter View Post
If we recall how quickly the situation degenerated and got out of control in New Orleans.......about one day. I'm not saying hurricanes will happen in AB or the whole situation will tank in a day, but what about a week or a month?

Gotta have:

How many different uses do those items have?
Old 01-20-2012, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazweiss View Post
Answers for Gitrdone

Question #1 I did most of my own preps over the last few years. Two years ago I finally approached a few trusted friends and invited them to join me if TSHTF. They began their own food storage at my cabin and we have gone over our bugout and evac plans extensively. Everyone knows that if the time comes for a bugout, it's my call. Of course there is a chain of command in the event I'm unable to make that call.

Question #2 Several years ago, my wife and I purchased a property under her maiden name. It has a good well and a third of a mile of river front. We built a small (800 sq ft) cabin. The cabin is well hidden and defendable. I've put a lot of effort into alternative power, water treatment methods, extended food gathering and cultivation.

Hopefully we'll be okay.
Quote:
Bugout -- Get Out Of Dodge, Leave town real quick, time to scram.

Defendable -- On one side, predators would be skylined and on the other they would have a 30 foot cliff to climb. Shooting positions with interlocking arcs of fire. Obstacles set to funnel predators into kill zones. Sniper positions set up for overwatch.

Land title -- If you're looking for me under my family name you can't use county land title records to do so. Just to make it a little more difficult for predators. A very small precaution but it didn't cost anything so why not.
I am a prepper in all avenues of my life. From every card in my wallet photocopied as a back up, to a full size rubber maid tote of emergency stuff in my car, etc.

But you seem less prepared, and more paranoid. Shooting positions with interlocking fire arcs in a home purchased under someone else's old name? Come on dude.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOAhunter View Post

Gotta have:

SIG 226
REM 870
Bushmaster 5.56
Hunting rifle ( it is much lighter than any SWS and can still reach out and touch it target)
2x Good blades
Old 01-20-2012, 07:40 AM

Default Prepping

I was brought up to always be prepared for the unexpected, Prepping isnt a bad thing, but one thing I'm having a hard thing wrapping my brain around is how I'm going to react to all this city folks coming out to these small towns and to the country to survive, begging us for food, a warm place to stay, etc. I dont know how I could turn away a family with young kids, as I'm a parent of two children. But when we are only prepared to sustain our family, these decisions will be what I'll be prepping for. Truly hope I never have to make that type of decision. SO BE PREPARED AND STAY WERE YOUR AT
Old 01-20-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruttnbuckcojack View Post
I was brought up to always be prepared for the unexpected, Prepping isnt a bad thing, but one thing I'm having a hard thing wrapping my brain around is how I'm going to react to all this city folks coming out to these small towns and to the country to survive, begging us for food, a warm place to stay, etc. I dont know how I could turn away a family with young kids, as I'm a parent of two children. But when we are only prepared to sustain our family, these decisions will be what I'll be prepping for. Truly hope I never have to make that type of decision. SO BE PREPARED AND STAY WERE YOUR AT
well said ... because if and i mean IF the sheeple can make it out of the cities they will be a hungry irritable despartate mass it could turn ugly quick

now where is my tin foil cap... ah there it is lol .. i think that prepping is essential in these time and really what is the worst case or shall i say best case senerio?... a larder full of food and other preps,spare bullets beans and bandaids . So you spent a couple thousand dollars on insurance for your family safe keeping.
Heres a question for you if you think thats silly?

do you smoke a pack or two a day? 300 to 600 dolars a month

do you go to the casinos? buy lotto tickets? drink? all costs big money. A complete throw away of hard earned money, but preps? Insane some think. Why is it so hard for some to think about insurance for bad times?
And trully each to there own. We all will have to sleep in the beds we make.

my simple ramblings
wayne
Old 01-20-2012, 11:29 AM

I am a preper
It's a fine line between preper and Paranoid.

So to cover the bases I have
a fanny pack with all my extra ammo I keep just in case, a fire source and maps
A med backpack for the wife and large one for me with food gear and so on all 3 have water filter/ tablets fire starting stuff some food. I think my family could live off the bags for 3 days. my bags have a lot of the same Gear I use hunting and hiking

I know how to hunt fish dry meat grow food etc it's hard to prepare for long term survival and with time i will be better off. I would have a hard time if I had to leave home but I would adapt and over come
Old 01-20-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterswife* View Post
I am a prepper in all avenues of my life. From every card in my wallet photocopied as a back up, to a full size rubber maid tote of emergency stuff in my car, etc.

But you seem less prepared, and more paranoid. Shooting positions with interlocking fire arcs in a home purchased under someone else's old name? Come on dude.
I have almost 20 years as a prepper. While in the army I did 3 tours of the Balkins and a tour of Afganistan. I've seen what can happen. My place is set up with alternative energy, plenty of good water, good hunting, a garden area and lots of wild edibles if I need them. One of my jobs in the army was teaching wilderness survival.
Considering the direction things are going, if you think that a couple of I.D. photocopies and a rubbermaid tote are going to be a big help, good luck.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
I have almost 20 years as a prepper. While in the army I did 3 tours of the Balkins and a tour of Afganistan. I've seen what can happen. My place is set up with alternative energy, plenty of good water, good hunting, a garden area and lots of wild edibles if I need them. One of my jobs in the army was teaching wilderness survival.
Considering the direction things are going, if you think that a couple of I.D. photocopies and a rubbermaid tote are going to be a big help, good luck.
(Like) button
Old 01-21-2012, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyallpeder View Post
I am a preper
It's a fine line between preper and Paranoid.
they are what i call a preparanoid ..... and actually i disagree lol there really is a big differance between prepped and paranoid....think about it lol

good on you for taking the time to be ready for a rough ride
Old 01-22-2012, 11:43 PM

About 20 years ago I read a book that set me on the road to prepping. At that time I didn't have a lot of money (college student) so I couldn't afford supplies. What I did instead was to study and research survival. Eventually I took some courses and started practicing what I had learned. In the beginning I thought that I would have to go it alone if TSHTF. In time I got married and bought a condo. But my wife always knew that I didn't like the city. 8 years ago we bought an acreage and my prepping took off big time.
I still have a long way to go, but then I think that no matter how well we're prepared, we still feel it's not enough. Because I'm a retired infantry soldier, a great deal of my military mindset goes into my preparations.

GUNS
9mm automatic pistol
.22 cal semi-auto rifle - small game
.223 assault rifle - slightly larger game, beavers, porcupines, etc. also self-defence
.300 Winchester Magnum - big game and a good sniper rifle
12 gauge pump - game birds and self-defence

Four long guns will take care of all your needs. Anything more and it's a hobby or a huge waste of money. But, you can never have too much ammo.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:26 PM

Default Wood gasifier

In a couple of previous posts wood gasifiers were mentioned. I found a good site for the plans.
[url]http://www.woodgas.net/files/FEMA_emerg...ssifer.pdf

Sorry I didn't post the actual link but I have a really low geek factor and I've never been able to figure it out.

Last edited by tazweiss; 01-23-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:
In a couple of previous posts wood gasifiers were mentioned. I found a good site for the plans.
[url]http://www.woodgas.net/files/FEMA_emerg...ssifer.pdf

Sorry I didn't post the actual link but I have a really low geek factor and I've never been able to figure it out.
http://www.woodgas.net/files/FEMA_emergency_gassifer.pdf

Good link, it simplified the whole process. Thanks for posting it.
Have you tried it yet?
Old 01-23-2012, 09:43 PM

Cool Wood gasifier

Nope.
Personally I would have no use for one. It's easier to convert a gas engine to alcohol and the alcohol can be used for other things besides fuel.
It's just as easy to build a still.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:36 AM

Default greetings all/ community garden

I am very new to the site, I found it from doing a search after hearing a segment on Coast to Coast AM and decided it was time to make sure I could take care of my family in case something dire ever happens. Anyway I want to prepare more in case things happen and one of the ways I have available to me is to plant and cultivate a large garden. I live on a 160 acre farm about 10 minutes north and 5 minutes west of Balzac and would love to share some of our "garden area", this year with a few people or in other words have a medium sized community garden. I am willing, with the area available this year to cultivate, to share with as many as 4-5 other people. Experience in gardening would be a major asset seeing as my family just moved to the farm and only rents here about 1 year ago and never had any real learning experiences in this area. If anyone here is interested in having access to our lil plot of garden area and is willing to pitch in and help get it up and going I would be more than happy to talk more about it with you. please feel free to contact me by email and we can go from there. i hope to hear from some ;like minded people who just want to make sure their families are cared for in case of emergencies as well.. thanks