Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-30-2011, 10:42 AM

Default B.C.'s new drunk driving laws declared unconstitutional

http://www.globaltvbc.com/bcs+new+dr...401/story.html

Last edited by BGSH; 11-30-2011 at 10:42 AM. Reason: too long a sentance
Old 11-30-2011, 10:44 AM
Banned

the law is unconstitutional but it won't be turned over.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:57 AM

If it is over turned people are going to continue to drink and drive
Old 11-30-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGSH View Post
If it's not turned over people will continue to drink and drive.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGSH View Post
Give your gel head a shake no matter what the new law is....... it will continue. No difference.

My dad always referenced this to a sack of hammers but I forget the rest.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 11-30-2011, 11:05 AM

The people that are driving and over the legal limit of 0.08, are not going to change what they are doing…

The people who like to have a beer or two with lunch will get nailed for doing nothing wrong… not to mention the loss of income for local business…
Old 11-30-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie View Post
The people that are driving and over the legal limit of 0.08, are not going to change what they are doing…

The people who like to have a beer or two with lunch will get nailed for doing nothing wrong… not to mention the loss of income for local business…
That is the only argument that I just do not care at all about, 'local business loses money because of tighter drinking and driving laws"

Don't even go there, that line is total crap. They buy a 26oz bottle of rum for $9.00 (wholesale) then sell it for $6.95 per oz mixed with coke. They have made $171.00 per bottle and will continue for years. I worked in various bars for 15+ years, I know the costs involved.

PEOPLE just need to be more responsible for themselves and stop blaming the Police, the Government, whining about nanny state this and military law that.

It is the same with a steak or burger, their cost (yes of course prior to advertising, training, WCB, upkeep, insurance, power, heat, staffing, breakage, etc) of a steak is $3.00 then sell it for $24.95.

I don't care if everyone goes and drinks their faces off, get a designated driver or call a cab.

The honest truth is, the new law only affects people that can not control themselves.

Of course the other part of the reply "those who like to have a beer or 2 with lunch".......

must be the owners, anywhere I worked if you had alcohol for lunch you went home for the rest of your life.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-30-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
That is the only argument that I just do not care at all about, 'local business loses money because of tighter drinking and driving laws"

Don't even go there, that line is total crap. They buy a 26oz bottle of rum for $9.00 (wholesale) then sell it for $6.95 per oz mixed with coke. They have made $171.00 per bottle and will continue for years. I worked in various bars for 15+ years, I know the costs involved.

PEOPLE just need to be more responsible for themselves and stop blaming the Police, the Government, whining about nanny state this and military law that.

It is the same with a steak or burger, their cost (yes of course prior to advertising, training, WCB, upkeep, insurance, power, heat, staffing, breakage, etc) of a steak is $3.00 then sell it for $24.95.

I don't care if everyone goes and drinks their faces off, get a designated driver or call a cab.

The honest truth is, the new law only affects people that can not control themselves.

Its not just the money off the booze... a lot of people will not go into a place to eat if they cant have a couple drinks... eat at home or go else where...

Its a stupid law that targets the people doing nothing wrong... and yeah it has an effect on local business
Old 11-30-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:

So the new law will prevent this? Don't think so.

The honest truth is ..............it changes nothing.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 11-30-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:

Of course the other part of the reply "those who like to have a beer or 2 with lunch".......
Do you have any friends you like to go out with and have two beers...?

Now with this pointless law you cant do that even though your NOT breaking a law...

It not stopping the people who dont give a rats azz and drink and drive anyway...
Old 11-30-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post
Give your gel head a shake no matter what the new law is....... it will continue. No difference.

you are right, no matter what people will always drink, but this can give harsher penalties.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:31 AM

Why not leave it where it’s at and come down a lot harder on the people that are actually drunk and driving and breaking a law…
Old 11-30-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Do you have any friends you like to go out with and have two beers...?

Now with this pointless law you cant do that even though your NOT breaking a law...

It not stopping the people who dont give a rats azz and drink and drive anyway...
I am in a different demographic though than a lot in here, I live in a town of 200. I have for 40 of 44 years. For me to even go to a bar, the closest one is 24 miles away. It is not a matter of starting the truck, driving to the bar and getting out before the windshield starts to thaw. I have to go on a highway to and from the bar, so I don't drive. When I lived in Edmonton or Lloydminster, I did not drink either, but many do.

I guess my mindset is different. Besides, I was not swinging a hammer or pulling wrenches, my job has always involved 1 on 1 with a customer of some sort, and alcohol on the breath is a huge NO.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-30-2011, 11:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Why not leave it where it’s at and come down a lot harder on the people that are actually drunk and driving and breaking a law…
Now that is the real question. There already were perfectly good laws to stop impaired driving.

There are many studies that show that most people are impaired over .08, and that is why the law is .08. If you get stopped and have had nothing to drive, but you are swerving all over the road, then the police can and should charge you with an impaired. The amount of alcohol has nothing to do with the crime of impaired. It is merely a set limit at which the police can say you are impaired without question. Kind of why .25 and .32 are prohibited cartridges. Both are capable of killing.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:

Crazier than a Sack of Hammers,,, :-)

Lock your wife and your dog in the trunk of your car.
After one hour, open the trunk and see who is happiest to see you!!!

If you won't stand behind our Troops,
Feel free to stand in front of them!!!!!
Old 11-30-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Its a stupid law that targets the people doing nothing wrong... and yeah it has an effect on local business
You know, I seem to recall smokers using a similar argument when they banned smoking in public places. Oh its going to effect business, blah blah blah. You know what, it didn't. People still went to the bars, drank, and instead of lighting up in the bar, they had to go outside. End of story. So now those people that NEED to have a couple of drinks with lunch, will only have one, or the other option is none at all. I really find it hard to feel sorry for people who like to have one or two with lunch, cause you know what, you don't NEED to have a drink with lunch. I like to have a couple now and again, and really the only difference is I'm taking my chances if I decide to drive after. Drinking is not a right that anyone has, its a choice. And if you choose to drink, you take your chances, or find alternative methods of transportation. The law is saving lives, yet people b1tch because they suddenly feel violated by this. Oh poor me, I can't drink with lunch, boo hoo hoo. You kinda sound like my kids whining about stupid sh1t. You want some cheese with that whine princess??? Grow up...
Old 11-30-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:

must be the owners, anywhere I worked if you had alcohol for lunch you went home for the rest of your life.
Agreed, I don't give a rats behind about business that looses a few bucks because of those who can't controle them selves because they couldn't just stop at one. Im more concerned with the familys and friends that loose loved ones on a daily basis because of idiots that cross the line, bottom line is the govt is trying to curb drinking and driving and Im all for that having lost people my self to an impared driver. The law was designed to be in the best interest of innocents, not business and defilnatly not drunks who get behind the wheel. As far as I am concerned, drunk driving laws are waaaay to light. Start cracking the whip and serving harsher jail time for even the smallest infraction and you will se a change but you won't get every one. There's still the thief thats willing to get his hand cut off for a piece of gold.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:02 PM

wow, well there you have it the new law IS DECLARED unconstitutional

http://www.globaltvbc.com/parts+of+b...401/story.html
Old 11-30-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
I am in a different demographic though than a lot in here, I live in a town of 200. I have for 40 of 44 years. For me to even go to a bar, the closest one is 24 miles away. It is not a matter of starting the truck, driving to the bar and getting out before the windshield starts to thaw. I have to go on a highway to and from the bar, so I don't drive. When I lived in Edmonton or Lloydminster, I did not drink either, but many do.

I guess my mindset is different. Besides, I was not swinging a hammer or pulling wrenches, my job has always involved 1 on 1 with a customer of some sort, and alcohol on the breath is a huge NO.
Mindless babbling. What the heck.

Your post is totally illrelevent. And who cares?

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 11-30-2011, 12:21 PM

This is BIG news for Alberta now, this could very well effect how Albertas new drinking driving laws work.
Province has planned to address media @ 3pm re: proposed drunk driving laws here in Alberta

Last edited by BGSH; 11-30-2011 at 12:27 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 11-30-2011, 12:36 PM

Unless the Criminal Code is changed, being penalized for driving with a BAC at .05 is the same as getting a speeding ticket for going below the speed limit.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
Unless the Criminal Code is changed, being penalized for driving with a BAC at .05 is the same as getting a speeding ticket for going below the speed limit.
Ok, but when was the last time you had your car impounded for not speeding?
Old 11-30-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwm1273 View Post
Ok, but when was the last time you had your car impounded for not speeding?
Or had your license suspended for not breaking the law, without due process as our legal system is founded upon.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Mindless babbling. What the heck.

Your post is totally illrelevent. And who cares?
Stewie asked me if I ever go to lunch and have 2 beer with friends...

Not that I feel I have to justify anything I type to you. Read the question before you unleash your typewritten diharrea

Old 11-30-2011, 01:22 PM

Nothing is wrong at all going out with friends or family for a good night out and having some booze well at it, get drunk who cares, but when it is time to leave the bar,club, or event be smart about it and get a ride from someone or take a taxi cab.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:49 PM

Police officers can already give you a 24 hour suspension and tow your vehicle if you blow .05 to .079
Old 11-30-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorg View Post
Police officers can already give you a 24 hour suspension and tow your vehicle if you blow .05 to .079
Really .05 ?? that is like 1 sip of beer, that is beyond stupid.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:58 PM

How does going after people who aren't impaired get the drunks off the road? MADD is selling the same crock of crap that Cukier and the Coalition for Gun Control sold the federal libs. Going after people who are doing nothing wrong does not hamper the efforts of the criminal.

Good for the B.C. Supreme Court on striking down the guilty, until proven innocent provisions.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 11-30-2011, 01:59 PM

It just makes no difference

If the penalty for drinking and driving was death, we would be hanging people

Some people just dont think and/or care. Cant change that.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
It just makes no difference

If the penalty for drinking and driving was death, we would be hanging people

Some people just dont think and/or care. Cant change that.
Best post so far.....it also relates to other laws we have.