Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpjBz...eature=related
it's all here, it's a cult, for sure!!
Cat
Cat: I am not making fun of the Masons

I am serious.

People do not realize what the Masons do to help society and yet maintain their humble selves.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
Cat: I am not making fun of the Masons

I am serious.

People do not realize what the Masons do to help society and yet maintain their humble selves.
Oh no, I realized that your post was sincere, it's the ones that mention cults in them that I was having fun with.
You must admit, the Simpsons had some very funny programs!!
Cat
Old 02-02-2012, 09:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Oh no, I realized that your post was sincere, it's the ones that mention cults in them that I was having fun with.
You must admit, the Simpsons had some very funny programs!!
Cat
Thanks Cat, I thought I may have insulted the Masons.

Best Wishes to all Masons.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:52 PM

My mom was helped immensely by the Shriner's in Winnipeg! Spent the first 5 years of her life in that hospital. Never got to meet my Grandpa, but was always told he was a terrific man If it weren't for the FM's, mom wouldn't have been able to walk at all!

On another note, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have to be a man to join the fraternity??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arachnodisiac View Post
Definitely.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunmum View Post
On another note, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have to be a man to join the fraternity??
Not entirely.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemasonry_and_women

But, I was being a little tongue-in-cheek when I answered that way. I had a friend who told me a lot about it, after I pestered him relentlessly.

And then I had a lunch meeting with the grand puba, and tried to make the case why women should be allowed in his organization. Anyway, they were quite entertained, especially when I asked whether I would qualify if I had a sex change and all the right parts.
Eventually, after much discussion, they figured if it looked like a man, walked like a man and talked like a man... that would probably be good enough.

And of course, I could not help myself and asked if I could just wear a strap-on to the meetings and they figured maybe in Ontario, but that just wouldn't fly in the prairies.

All in all, a good time was had by all exploring the possibilities.

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 02-02-2012, 10:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunmum View Post
My mom was helped immensely by the Shriner's in Winnipeg! Spent the first 5 years of her life in that hospital. Never got to meet my Grandpa, but was always told he was a terrific man If it weren't for the FM's, mom wouldn't have been able to walk at all!

Yes you do. There is an organization for women but your father / husband / brother must be a mason for you to be allowed to join. I have heard of the occasional Lodge (mostly in Europe) allowing women in but for all purposes you must be a man. Sorry, but that is just the way it is. Glad to hear about your experience with the Shriners. They truly do great things.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:02 PM

Eastern Star is the female side of the Fraternity.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Not entirely.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemasonry_and_women

But, I was being a little tongue-in-cheek when I answered that way. I had a friend who told me a lot about it, after I pestered him relentlessly.

And then I had a lunch meeting with the grand puba, and tried to make the case why women should be allowed in his organization. Anyway, they were quite entertained, especially when I asked whether I would qualify if I had a sex change and all the right parts.
Eventually, after much discussion, they figured if it looked like a man, walked like a man and talked like a man... that would probably be good enough.

And of course, I could not help myself and asked if I could just wear a strap-on to the meetings and they figured maybe in Ontario, but that just wouldn't fly in the prairies.

All in all, a good time was had by all exploring the possibilities.
If a person went to all the rouble of a sex change just to become a Free mason, I fear they would be doing it for the wrong reasons.

it is a not a club, after all.....
Cat
Old 02-02-2012, 10:06 PM

Pretty sure no one would actually do that.

BUT, what if someone had because they were truly transgender? And then happened to be asked to join? Then what? Would their history matter if it were known?

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 02-02-2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Pretty sure no one would actually do that.

BUT, what if someone had because they were truly transgender? And then happened to be asked to join? Then what? Would their history matter if it were known?
First off, one should not be asked, the saying goes " ask a Mason to become a Mason"
If a person was truly trans gender?
I dunno, We will cross that bridge when we get to it....
Cat
Old 02-02-2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
I will not make judgements here but it is not an accepted practice to ask someone to become a mason. It is frowned upon because candidates for admission must come to the decision to become a mason of their own free will & accord. Your friends may feel you are a good candidate & may tell you that but in the end the decision is yours & yours alone to ask to become a candidate. If they did in fact ask you to become a mason & I'm not saying they didn't, it was not the proper thing to do because we don't canvas for members.
Accepted practice or not, it did happen, and it has been explained to me by a forum member that I have associated with for many years, that it is not the accepted policy of the masons to ask people if they would like to join. I have no problems accepting that, it appears that my friends were not acting as they were supposed to as masons when they asked me, but they are good people and their intentions were honorable. However, I did not consider it honorable for the poster to first accuse me of being a liar, and then continue to display his pompous, self righteous attitude in a condescending manner towards me. But being that the masons that I know personally, do not behave in this manner,I won't let his behavior in any way change my attitude toward the masonic lodge or their members.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
That doesn't change the fact that some masons have asked non masons if they had any interest in becoming a mason.

All three friends that asked me, had been masons for years, and to my knowledge, they still are. Because we were long time friends, and associated regularly, they asked if I might be interested in joining their organization.

My initial post, was made in response to a statement that you posted, which obviously was in error.

Aside from that,why would you feel that you had to accuse me, someone that you have never met, of being a liar? My friends that are masons, have proven to be loyal friends, and people with integrity, which judging by your attitude, you appear to be lacking in. Although I was not interested in joining the masons, I still respect their choice to be masons, just as they respect my decision not to join. If they were to read your posts, and see the attitude that you are displaying, I am sure that they would be embarrassed that someone that belongs to their fraternity could behave in the manner that you have chosen to behave. In fact, I doubt that any mason would be pleased with your self righteous attitude being associated with their organization.
Quote:
Accepted practice or not, it did happen, and it has been explained to me by a forum member that I have associated with for many years, that it is not the accepted policy of the masons to ask people if they would like to join. I have no problems accepting that, it appears that my friends were not acting as they were supposed to as masons when they asked me, but they are good people and their intentions were honorable. However, I did not consider it honorable for the poster to first accuse me of being a liar, and then continue to display his pompous, self righteous attitude in a condescending manner towards me. But being that the masons that I know personally, do not behave in this manner,I won't let his behavior in any way change my attitude toward the masonic lodge or their members.
Honestly I can't see how anyone could resist asking you so they could have you in Lodge. That would be great. Not only would they have the honor and pleasure of your company but they could learn so much from you too. I think you should try to join. Plus that would probably put arachnodisiacs questions to the test and kill 2 birds with one stone so to speak.

Just kiddin fella. Just joshin around a little with ya. No need to reply.

If they asked you, they were in error. I apologise for not believing you but i cannot possibly understand how 3 differnet long time masons would do that on 3 seperate occasions. Makes no sense. You must be even more awsome in person I guess.

Seriously though your a lotta fun. Like a trout who rises to a perfectly cast fly. Or a bull moose reliably coming to a call. Summer for fishing, fall for hunting and winter for baiting I guess.

Is that a slight ripple I detect on yonder pool?
Old 02-02-2012, 10:53 PM

Quote:
If they asked you, they were in error. I apologise for not believing you but i cannot possibly understand how 3 differnet long time masons would do that on 3 seperate occasions. Makes no sense. You must be even more awsome in person I guess.
It was over a 20+ year period. Being in a smaller isolated Northern community, it used to be much more of a small town atmosphere. In our community, especially in winter, activities were rather limited, so people made more of an effort to draw other people into their social circles. I had heard both good and bad things about the masons, but I didn't really judge them, as I just wasn't interested in becoming a part of their fraternity. Now that I have seen your huge ego in action, I can better understand where the negative rumors originated. Based on what you have posted on this thread, I am just glad that I didn't join, as I myself would be embarrassed to belong to the same fraternity as yourself.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
It was over a 20+ year period. Being in a smaller isolated Northern community, it used to be much more of a small town atmosphere. In our community, especially in winter, activities were rather limited, so people made more of an effort to draw other people into their social circles. I had heard both good and bad things about the masons, but I didn't really judge them, as I just wasn't interested in becoming a part of their fraternity. Now that I have seen your huge ego in action, I can better understand where the negative rumors originated. Based on what you have posted on this thread, I am just glad that I didn't join, as I myself would be embarrassed to belong to the same fraternity as yourself.
What negative rumors are you referring to?
Old 02-02-2012, 11:10 PM

Quote:
What negative rumors are you referring to?
Simply that some people were under the impression that the masons had a lot of members that thought of themselves as the elite of society,people that thought that they were better than the rest of society. Given that the masons that I knew personally were for the most part, down to earth people, and some very good friends of the family were shriners, I didn't give it much thought at the time.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:11 PM
Banned

why do people keep referencing Kentucky Fried chicken?
Old 02-02-2012, 11:14 PM

i know of three people in my family that are FM, my cuz and two uncles from the sudbury area. my cuzin was hinting at me to join but i was only 17. Seems like they always have money and good connections

CN
Old 02-02-2012, 11:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
why do people keep referencing Kentucky Fried chicken?
????????
Old 02-02-2012, 11:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
Good bless you gentlemen.

Let the Mason order stand forever.

Signed a K. of C.
oh sorry, K of C, not KFC
Old 02-02-2012, 11:22 PM
Banned

Quote:

I see you don't mind stirring up the poop every once in a while.. that was funny
Old 02-02-2012, 11:59 PM

A few years ago at a social gathering I remember watching someone I know to be a freemason smoking a fat joint and then talking about the 'brotherhood'. This person I mention sure knew what he was talking about too. He didn't try to recruit anyone but he did think he was somehow special.

Question to any 'member' of freemasons or others:
Do you think the freemasons are losing their clout and duty to this arcanum society because of alcohol and drugs?

This fellow made me think the freemasons may be just as corrupt as the rest of society, and not so special.

I know there is good causes amongst most members of any group of people but nobody is better than anyone else or better because of secret knowledge.

I laugh at it all... because the only secret you have to know in life is that all paths lead to the grave. No matter who you think you, how grand poobah you are, it all goes back to the earth. One day we all will be the dirt under our feet.

Last edited by Red Bullets; 02-03-2012 at 12:19 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 02-03-2012, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
A few years ago at a social gathering I remember watching someone I know to be a freemason smoking a fat joint and then talking about the 'brotherhood'. This person I mention sure knew what he was talking about too. He didn't try to recruit anyone but he did think he was somehow special.

Question to any 'member' of freemasons or others:
Do you think the freemasons are losing their clout and duty to this arcanum society because of alcohol and drugs?

This fellow made me think the freemasons may be just as corrupt as the rest of society, and not so special.

I know there is good causes amongst most members of any group of people but nobody is better than anyone else or better because of secret knowledge.

I laugh at it all... because the only secret you have to know in life is that all paths lead to the grave. No matter who you think you, how grand poobah you are, it all goes back to the earth. One day we all will be the dirt under our feet.
To answer your first question - no, because a person never did have any "clout" simply because that person was a mason

To your second question - Free Masons , if they DO think they are better than anyone else simply because of whatever "secret Knowledge" they think they possess, they have learned absolutely nothing in their journey along the way, because they are taught the exact opposite.

To your statement about becoming dirt under our feet - your are correct , and this is actually said and taught to all masons at one point , that they are no better than anyone else , and all will be judged by God eventually.

So, we as Free masons do not think we are better, do not think we are special, and certainly do not think we have a free pass in life, only trying to help those in need out.

However, there are many people in life that go through the motions of perceiving to be good people, whatever walk of life they are and it will all come down to Judgment Day when we stand before God himself ,won't it?
Cat
Old 02-03-2012, 07:19 AM

My wife's family is littered with Free Mason and Eastern Star members as well as a few on my side. It is a small community here and like most club/fraternities/societies there are good members and bad, almost exclusively good but the bad are usually dealt with firmly and that is a positive.

The fact they require "a belief in Deity" puts them in the same class as any religious organization in my perspective, which also coincides with the "society with secrets". So "to each their own" just doesn't follow my beliefs.

I do have a question though, if members never approach individuals about joining how would anyone know to ask? Never thought of this before this thread?

Keep up the great humanitarian work!
Old 02-03-2012, 07:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortaction View Post
My wife's family is littered with Free Mason and Eastern Star members as well as a few on my side. It is a small community here and like most club/fraternities/societies there are good members and bad, almost exclusively good but the bad are usually dealt with firmly and that is a positive.

The fact they require "a belief in Deity" puts them in the same class as any religious organization in my perspective, which also coincides with the "society with secrets". So "to each their own" just doesn't follow my beliefs.

I do have a question though, if members never approach individuals about joining how would anyone know to ask? Never thought of this before this thread?

OK I will give a try at an answer here. If I am wrong please other brothers feel free to jump in.

When you become a mason you are asked to make certain vows and without belief in a supreme being your vows are worthless. That is why we have that requirement. However you do not have to believe in a particular supreme being. You will not be asked what religion you are and talk of religion, business and politics is strictly forbidden.There are certain religious things in our organization but it is not a religion. You may be in a lodge and have a bible, torah and koran depending on members.

For your second question, we feel that if you truly want to be a member you will seek us out. For a "secret society" we certainly put up enough signs, hide our lodges on main street, where rings and put bumper stickers on our cars. Worst kept secret ever. Too many people join, come to a few meetings and are never seen again. That is another reason we do not recruit. Most recruited people do not work out. We feel that if you join you have certain obligations that you should fulfill. In fact we have started in BC / Yukon to use a very lengthy interview and question answer porgram to assist people who are interested in determining if this is really for them. Like all things in life you get out what you put in.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:

Free Masonry is not a religious sect, but does require that a person believe in God.
As far as ever knowing who to ask, one would be amazed at just how many people a person snows, or who knows a person who is a Mason.
All you need to do is ask a co-worker, or a friend.

Masonic Lodges are also pretty well advertised these days, and if a person contacted one, they could give you a name to contact.
Cat
Old 02-03-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
I do have a question though, if members never approach individuals about joining how would anyone know to ask?
The idea is that potential candidates would notice how a Mason acts in his life and want to be more like him. Honestly. In fact - it's how I was attracted to join. I knew that one of the most upstanding characters I've ever met was a mason and after watching a movie in 2001 with an anti-masonic undertone, I decided to check things out for myself. Did some research on the internet, found conflicting information and decided to ask my friend and get the skinny directly from him. He didn't ask me to join - I asked him.

I joined in 2004. Every year since then the number of Masons in Alberta has declined a tiny bit. Since joining, I've noticed that most Grand Lodge Officers have stated that if you know someone who might be good for the Craft, we should go ahead and approach them to see if they'd be interested. I think it's because they realize that something needs to be done to make the organization sustainable.

If you think about it - the whole "To be one, ask one..." thing that's been around for decades is in itself a PR move to advertise for more members. There are bumper stickers that say "2B1ASK1" where the A is a square and compass... That is advertising for members... the idea has been and always will be that Freemasons should not pressure or force their friends into feeling like they have to join. You must come to the lodge of your own free will and accord... The idea is that if the member wants to be there, he'll actually pay attention to the lessons being taught.

That being said - any member can take their leave of their lodge at any time. It's called taking a demit. So if Freemasonry turns out to be not their thing, they can also leave of their own free will and accord too.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:20 AM

I can remember a few years back during the UE-1 project at Syncrude when I was first exposed to the Masionac plague. It was corruption at it's finest.
If you were a brother, you got the job or contract nothing to do with ability.
The place was crawling with them.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
I can remember a few years back during the UE-1 project at Syncrude when I was first exposed to the Masionac plague. It was corruption at it's finest.
If you were a brother, you got the job or contract nothing to do with ability.
The place was crawling with them.
What youwere seeing had nothig to do with free masonry but a group looki ng out for their own interests who happend to be Masons.
I have worked on and off that site for over 30 years and have seen both sides - I have also been tahgtreted befcause I AM a Mason by someone who tought i woud be trouble, so your perception was wrong.
Cat
Old 02-03-2012, 08:54 AM

I was interested in joining. At our local community activity fair the Masons were there. I knew one of the members and had express some interest. I had known a couple masons and they were people that I looked up to. Not because they were masons but that they were good people.

I was asked if I would like to see what it is about. I looked at their literature and had to pass because you have to believe in some god. I don't and would feel like a hypocrite by going knowing that I don't meet the requirements.

I have nothing bad to say and I was treated with respect and there was no pressure what so ever to join. It still interests me but I know I can never join with my beliefs, or lack there of.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Oatey View Post
I have nothing bad to say and I was treated with respect and there was no pressure what so ever to join. It still interests me but I know I can never join with my beliefs, or lack there of.
And your beliefs will always be respected....
Cat