Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-24-2012, 03:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver lab View Post
I always tell my wife that if I can't amount to anything in life I can always be a cop!!! Six mounths in depo and I'am packin.
I don't blame the police here. They were given bad information, and they acted on it. Once they found out the information was bad, they let the man go.

The guilty party here are the school staff who listened to a 4 yr old, and then took a leap of stupidity. Then I blame child and family services for not questioning things before the father was arrested, most likely traumatizing the child.

I have no faith in our child and family services, and I think many in the school system should be asking if you "would like fries with that."
Old 02-24-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwm1273 View Post
I don't blame the police here. They were given bad information, and they acted on it. Once they found out the information was bad, they let the man go.

The guilty party here are the school staff who listened to a 4 yr old, and then took a leap of stupidity. Then I blame child and family services for not questioning things before the father was arrested, most likely traumatizing the child.

I have no faith in our child and family services, and I think many in the school system should be asking if you "would like fries with that."
I don't care if the kid went straight to the police station and told them Daddy shot 6 people and made himself a dress out of their skin.

That's cause for an investigation not an arrest.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:06 PM

This story is getting some mileage in the US as well now:

Quote:
Look, we understand Canada does things a little differently than the U.S., but for God’s sake, could officers and government officials at least act like they’re part of a civilized society when carrying out their asinine, draconian laws? The accused was never informed what had sparked the investigation — nor was his wife — until hours later. Even at the very beginning, the least the teacher could have done was ask Neaveh if her dad actually had a gun in the home.

We won’t hold this against the Great White North — we still enjoy moose hunts, Niagra Falls and the NHL’s punchline, the Maple Leafs — but this just goes to show what can go wrong when society universally villifies handguns.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/2012/02/2...gun-at-school/

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me
Old 02-24-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:

X2.

Millions of pictures draw by kids every year...one incidence of an over reactive school and once again AOF's best police critics jump onto the anti police...we are in a police state rampage of negativity. Being as no one knows exactly what the child said...it seems it was annoying for him, the police apologized with a statement...so it is done except on AOF.

At least it was not Mexico. He would be in jail still for not paying the bribe
Old 02-24-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Cool View Post
I don't care if the kid went straight to the police station and told them Daddy shot 6 people and made himself a dress out of their skin.

That's cause for an investigation not an arrest.
"It puts the lotion on the skin, or it gets the hose again....."

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-24-2012, 06:30 PM

I used to draw guns in school all the time, along with drawing of Osoma getting his head cut off, l would show my teachers and they would laugh. Not only that, but back in the early 90's l used to bring toy guns to school and play with them on the school playground at lunch. How times have changed.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:34 PM

I have no faith in our child and family services, and I think many in the school system should be asking if you "would like fries with that."[/QUOTE]

I guess when my four year old tells the police theres zombies hornady is gonna make millions! The police should have known better.Arested him?? come on! Police work very closely with not only the schools but child services as well. Can you say "Liberal".
Old 02-24-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
X2.

Millions of pictures draw by kids every year...one incidence of an over reactive school and once again AOF's best police critics jump onto the anti police...we are in a police state rampage of negativity. Being as no one knows exactly what the child said...it seems it was annoying for him, the police apologized with a statement...so it is done except on AOF.

At least it was not Mexico. He would be in jail still for not paying the bribe
^^^^ AND this is the reason why when kids draw a picture, the parents are treated like criminals.

With attitudes like this MEXICO will seem like a paradise. Give your head a shake, loss of freedom no matter how small, is just one more step to total loss of freedom.

Shooter
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:44 PM

Possesion of a firearm is not a crime so they could not even arrest him on this charge. If I were this man I would make a big deal out of this - being held without a charge.
How come these teachers do nothing when a student has crack head parents at home but blow thier head when a kid draws a picture?
There is something seriously wrong with this picture and this man in the story should blow this story wide open!!!
Old 02-24-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
Anyone else worried about the continued development of a police state in this country?

I didn't realize that testimony from a 4 year old carried such weight.

JFC
It's not a police state you have to worry about. It's all the G. Dam self-righteous do-gooder types that have zero for common sense. The social engineering/political correctness is driving the "silent majority" bonkers.
I keep wondering when the silent majority will grow a set of balls and say enough is enough.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:56 PM

This story was just on sun news with charles adler they are urging anyone with similar experience's/story's to email them.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:49 PM

Quote:
As for the strip search, Thaler said it was done “for officer safety, because it’s a firearms-related incident.

“At the point in the investigation when it was determined it was not a real firearm, the individual was released unconditionally,” he said.

This is the "Monster" gun.

IMO and open for correction.

This fellow likely did not have a PAL. That's why the police asked for consent to search. If he did have a PAL, no warrant or consent would be required. This makes the a potential re-play of this incident even worse for legal gun owners with children. The abolition of the registry will not prevent the police from ransacking the home of a legal gunowner with or without a warrant or consent. Only a change to the Firearm Act will eliminate the possibility of something like this happening again.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:54 PM

Here is the reason a strip search on a firearms related call.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobile...n_1208666.html

Got to be pretty determined to pull this off.........or out
Old 02-25-2012, 12:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinp View Post
It's not a police state you have to worry about. It's all the G. Dam self-righteous do-gooder types that have zero for common sense. The social engineering/political correctness is driving the "silent majority" bonkers.
I keep wondering when the silent majority will grow a set of balls and say enough is enough.
well it feels good to know i am not alone in regards to the way i feel about the world, if more people could have their own good values and ethics then we wouldn't need these "i know whats best" kind of people who think it's their job to tell everyone else how to live.

funny how when i post about bill c-30 on facebook to try and inform people not one person says anything, but the next post down... dj pauly D seems to be quite important, so does getting wasted, i'm still trying to figure out how i ended up so different from all my peers, and why everybody elses lives seem to revolve around drinking and other un-important things, and when you try to discuss things of importance they get scared and change the subject?

lets just call it generation puss.

I think the silent majority is afraid, the nail that sticks out gets hammered on. there is strength in numbers though.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:03 AM
Banned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w2PvOWIDpw

Ezra knocks it out of the park again.

Sorry, I agree with Ezra. All parties that acted against this Canadian citizen are guilty. Cops, school, teacher etc. They all over-reacted to a DRAWING by a child. I believe the technical Ezra uses to descibe the cops is "Morons".

If I was Sansone, I'd be firing up the lawyers and planning my retirement.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:24 AM
Banned

Ezra link is bad.

Here is a good link as well as others on the subject.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7DGAv4IuSc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVeUf...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRXIY...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIv4q...eature=related
Old 02-26-2012, 08:56 AM
Banned

Thanks....looks like I was asleep at the wheel when I was cutting and pasting links last night.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
^^^^ AND this is the reason why when kids draw a picture, the parents are treated like criminals.

With attitudes like this MEXICO will seem like a paradise. Give your head a shake, loss of freedom no matter how small, is just one more step to total loss of freedom.

Shooter
You have no idea what you were talking about or quoting apparently.

The difference between me and some others is I say what happened was wrong...referred to this as an isolated incident. Others blow it out of proportion and jump on the inflammatory media hype (I need to sell papers) band wagon. It is a conspiracy...a police state...our rights are being stolen...we are suffering like Ghandi outdoorsmen.

The biggest joke on everyone is that the silly hysteria propagated for media businesses is fed to guppies on line who morph into blog sharks in a negative feeding frenzy of ever more far reaching theories and speculations.

Happens time and time again...and I sit back and shake my head.

News flash.

PEOPLE ARE ALL HUMAN AND MAKE MISTAKES REGARDLESS OF OCCUPATION! Get over it and move on to the next inflammatory story.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:47 AM

My grandson had a class project to draw different flags of the world. He got the encyclopedia and copied about 20 flags, one of them was the Confederate battle flag [Stars and Bars]. His teacher sent a note home saying the Confederate flag was racist and cannot be used.

My daughter told her to get a life.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskys View Post
My grandson had a class project to draw different flags of the world. He got the encyclopedia and copied about 20 flags, one of them was the Confederate battle flag [Stars and Bars]. His teacher sent a note home saying the Confederate flag was racist and cannot be used.

My daughter told her to get a life.
You have an awesome daughter. lol.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:49 AM

Default Where to begin

The reaction I myself had to this story is such that it would take more time and energy to express on here than I have to dedicate with my meagre typing skills. Suffice it to say that if I had been arrested or detained every time my son spun a yarn(he is a true hunter and fisherman born) I'd still be serving the concurrent life sentences. This affair leaves me somewhere between utter contempt and unbridled anger! A true testament to the power of the state in this "free" country.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
You have no idea what you were talking about or quoting apparently.

The difference between me and some others is I say what happened was wrong...referred to this as an isolated incident. Others blow it out of proportion and jump on the inflammatory media hype (I need to sell papers) band wagon. It is a conspiracy...a police state...our rights are being stolen...we are suffering like Ghandi outdoorsmen.

The biggest joke on everyone is that the silly hysteria propagated for media businesses is fed to guppies on line who morph into blog sharks in a negative feeding frenzy of ever more far reaching theories and speculations.

Happens time and time again...and I sit back and shake my head.

News flash.

PEOPLE ARE ALL HUMAN AND MAKE MISTAKES REGARDLESS OF OCCUPATION! Get over it and move on to the next inflammatory story.
Problem is this is not an isolated incident. Things like this happen all the time in our nanny state. Just hope it does not happen to you. But maybe it will happen to your son.

It is time that the sheeple of Canada start to stand up and say enough is enough of the nanny state.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:46 AM

This story is getting traction, it's on the American news now. I hope this principle feels like an idiot. Any tech savy people on here able to get his email address?
Old 02-26-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Problem is this is not an isolated incident. Things like this happen all the time in our nanny state. Just hope it does not happen to you. But maybe it will happen to your son.

It is time that the sheeple of Canada start to stand up and say enough is enough of the nanny state.
I disagree.

These things likely in some context or another have been happening since cave men started to have independent thought.

The difference is only in the glorification of each and ever minute detail of the few incidents out of billions of non issues that happen daily in life.

International media to national media...there is intense need to find some story in an otherwise mundane news world.

If something of significance does not occur normally...just hype something else until it becomes news. The making of news stories is not something new to today...but rather the billions of bored bloggers on line have been used like sheep to proliferate minor stories into something more.

The I know someone who knows someone who knows someone who knows someone that had something happen that if it happened to eveyone would be horrible... Let's all panic and go nuts.

Watch Little House on the Prairie. In the good old days...rumors spread...paranoia happened and things got blown out of control. Now the internet allows the paranoid way more options about what to be paranoid about.

There is a reason why the news does not actually provide a full account of a story and only provides enough to make you mad. TO HAVE THE WHOLE TRUTH AND NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH...makes for a short and boring story. If everything was in the proper context...either the fact this was a one is a billion situation or the story was not told in its entirety and is misleading in the current context...what would we all have to blog about? Fishing? Hunting? Religion? Weather?

Some of the same people complain about other instances of this same phenomenon.

Media glorification of PETA, Global Warming, Occupy protests, problems in other areas of the world, natural disasters, war propaganda, terrorists messages, Wikileaks and so on. Beat a story to death...rile up the population...when over saturated...move onto the next made up story.

Sigh...

People forget so quickly...that is while politicians remain in power for so long.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingtail View Post
This story is getting traction, it's on the American news now. I hope this principle feels like an idiot. Any tech savy people on here able to get his email address?
Thank God for the internet. Hopefully someone in Harbin, China is so incensed that they protest the Canadian Embassy. Maybe start a boycott of Harper Elbows/Knuckles at the local restaurant.

LMFAO.

The best thing we can do is follow chasingtails suggestion... Attack a Principal who probably knows now he/she erred. Rather than let him be contrite and learn...let's attack him on line...incite people to attack in emails and really teach the children how adults deal with a fellow human being/person making a supposed mistake based upon third party media accounts of the facts.

I wonder if somewhere there is a news story about psycho bloggers attacking a poor small town Principal over a minor issue of a misunderstanding in which protocol and safety was followed...reviewed...found not an issue...apology and statement issued? That would be soooooo fuuunnnnnyyyyy!

Last edited by Sundancefisher; 02-26-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:29 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Thank God for the internet. Hopefully someone in Harbin, China is so incensed that they protest the Canadian Embassy. Maybe start a boycott of Harper Elbows/Knuckles at the local restaurant.

LMFAO.

The best thing we can do is follow chasingtails suggestion... Attack a Principal who probably knows now he/she erred. Rather than let him be contrite and learn...let's attack him on line...incite people to attack in emails and really teach the children how adults deal with a fellow human being/person making a supposed mistake based upon third party media accounts of the facts.

I wonder if somewhere there is a news story about psycho bloggers attacking a poor small town Principal over a minor issue of a misunderstanding in which protocol and safety was followed...reviewed...found not an issue...apology and statement issued? That would be soooooo fuuunnnnnyyyyy!

I have a suspicion that you would not feel the same if you were arrested and strip searched because your 4 year old drew a picture.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 02-26-2012, 12:41 PM

"did you call agriculture about this giant bean stock?" bahahahaha.

I'd call my lawyer and have him serve notice henceforth immediately.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
I have a suspicion that you would not feel the same if you were arrested and strip searched because your 4 year old drew a picture.
Funny enough I thought about that very same question last night.

A paranoid person would start screaming...heck no at the top of their lungs. A calm rational person would put it in perspective. The odds of that happening is soooo remote that to worry about that rather than repair the dripping faucet would be crazy.

Let's make it more serious. Let's say my kid drew a picture that looked like child abuse...but in fact they just totally misunderstood a child's drawing. They came and took me downtown...questioned me...took my wife to the police station...questioned her...had social services check the kids and question them...them after an efficient investigation come back and said clearly there was nothing going on and they were sorry for the concern, confusion etc.

I would be naturally upset it happened to me... But I would get over it after thinking... if 1 in a 1000 incidents that happened in Canada in one year had one child or more saved from a dangerous and evil situation...this minor annoyance in life would be over come quite easily after the natural human response to the person that had their life turned upside down for a short period of time.

We don't know the whole story as the police heard it from the Principal...but I am sure based upon the type of concern they only followed protocol...quickly and efficiently and even apologized for the misunderstanding. Not near as serious nor invasive to ones life as my scenario above. Not grounds for another AOF fanatical cop bashing thread.

Hope that answers your question.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:57 PM
Gone Hunting

Sorry Sunny, You need to dance with the one you brought.
You don't get to make the incident more serious. You don't get to change the outrage over what happened to a law abiding citizen by casting aspersons of wild paranoia.

There was no paranoia. He didn't go to the school to pick up his kids, all the while looking over his shoulder for someone out to get him.

This wasn't a child abuse drawing.

He was arrested, detained and strip searched for nothing more than a drawing by a 4 YEAR OLD CHILD>

He wasn't quietly and politely questioned about it.

You are the one who introduced 'conspiracy' to the topic. Most people don't think we are living in a police state or that this kind of thing is common.

We are however outraged at the way the 'professionals' in this case handled it.
That's it. We would like them held accountable for their poor judgement.

So you can put away the pitch forks and torches. No one is screaming about barbarians on the ramparts except you.

BTW the girl did ay her dad shoots bad guys and monsters, not female students at L'ecole polytechnique.

I hope monsters are not on an endangered list. MY 41/2 yr. old grand daughter has this crazy idea that her grandpa eats them on a cracker.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 02-26-2012, 01:01 PM

Sun you are a Goverments dream citizen, take it and smile.