Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-22-2015, 10:13 PM

Default dog bit my sons face, how would you react

was visiting my in laws who breed shelties, they have one old dog that's deaf and as my father inlaw says "does not like children". anyways over the past year ive visited multiple times with my son and have always done my best to keep my son away from the dog as my son is only 3, the dog in turn has always been good with my son and over the past year has warmed up to him allowing him to pet it. anyways was in the washroom and my inlaws were watching my son in the livingroom, as I walked out of the bathroom I rounded the corner just in time to see my son going in to give the dog a kiss(apparently hes done this before) before I could yell at my son to stop him from doing what he was doing the dog lashed at him and bit his face leaving scratches on his forehead and a bleeding lip.

I quickly grabbed my son with my mother in law and we checked him over as my father inlaw locked the dog in the bedroom,

anyways when I returned home, my wife obviously asked what happened to his face and when I told her she flew off the handle and basically got ****ed I didn't kill the dog, now shes in a big argument with her mother about putting it down.

just wondering how other people might of reacted or handled this situation.

either way im chalking this up as a life lesson for my son to be weary with dogs
Old 03-22-2015, 10:23 PM

Sounds like he got lucky with minor damage.i guess it can be easy for someone to say what to do that's not in the position for themselves. But for me if you have grandkids and a dog with a reputation, then it should be obvious what to do.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brohymn2 View Post
was visiting my in laws who breed shelties, they have one old dog that's deaf and as my father inlaw says "does not like children". anyways over the past year ive visited multiple times with my son and have always done my best to keep my son away from the dog as my son is only 3, the dog in turn has always been good with my son and over the past year has warmed up to him allowing him to pet it. anyways was in the washroom and my inlaws were watching my son in the livingroom, as I walked out of the bathroom I rounded the corner just in time to see my son going in to give the dog a kiss(apparently hes done this before) before I could yell at my son to stop him from doing what he was doing the dog lashed at him and bit his face leaving scratches on his forehead and a bleeding lip.

I quickly grabbed my son with my mother in law and we checked him over as my father inlaw locked the dog in the bedroom,

anyways when I returned home, my wife obviously asked what happened to his face and when I told her she flew off the handle and basically got ****ed I didn't kill the dog, now shes in a big argument with her mother about putting it down.

just wondering how other people might of reacted or handled this situation.

either way im chalking this up as a life lesson for my son to be weary with dogs
Dead dog!
Old 03-22-2015, 10:24 PM

Thumbs up All's well, that ends well.

If I read it correctly, it was a 'known' risk, and your son wasn't hurt too badly ... and he also learned an important life's lesson.

Let the ol' dog live, and let you and your son be the wiser.

Mac
Old 03-22-2015, 10:25 PM

that's what I was thinking, don't really wanna push the issue though being that I have a really good relationship with my inlaws. luckily I have my wife to push the issue for me
Old 03-22-2015, 10:26 PM

No offense inteded with my following statement.
Dog reacted the only way it knows how. Chances are it showed several signs of un-ease prior to biting that the parents in law missed.
Its up to you guys to prevent everything that happened.
Dont blame the dog, dont blame the kid, prevent it from happening again.
Thats it.

Edit, Glad your kid is relatively un-harmed.

Last edited by Hydro1; 03-22-2015 at 10:32 PM.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:28 PM

this is true, had I been in the room my son would have not been near the dog irregardless of how well he has behaved(cant think of a better word for it) in the past, thanks for the responses
Old 03-22-2015, 10:30 PM

I was bit on the face by my cousins dog when I was little - very similar situation.
I got over it, and when the dog died a few years later I wasn't sorry.

In the future lock the dog in the bedroom from the start of the visit and count it as a sad, but avoidable accident.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:31 PM

Sorry to hear about what happened to your son.

Interesting turn that your wife's on the unexpected side of the fence on this. Personally I don't know what I'd do. There's just something awful sad about

if it can be avoided. And as mentioned, it's not like it was an unknown risk. I think your biggest concern should be that your son doesn't develop a complex around dogs. Maybe have him play with a friendly dog, and then talk to him about not putting his face near a dog.

Plus, look on the bright side, if your wife's this upset with her folks, maybe you won't have to deal with the in-laws for a while

Last edited by admin; 03-23-2015 at 08:59 AM.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:32 PM

Goalie mask for your son when you go back for a visit.

Old dog-lesson learned.

Not how I reacted when it was our new dog and sent my toddler to emerg with eye injury and 10 stitches..
But I reacted with anger and fear over what could have happened if I had not stopped the attack.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post
If I read it correctly, it was a 'known' risk, and your son wasn't hurt too badly ... and he also learned an important life's lesson.

Let the ol' dog live, and let you and your son be the wiser.

Mac

Agree. Got lucky with a scratch and a bleeding lip. Will always remember it when he see's a dog. Cant really blame the dog, seems like everyone knew he was cranky.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:33 PM
Gone Hunting

Dog should have been locked up. Kid should have been supervised, so kill the dog?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 03-22-2015, 10:41 PM
Banned

Life lesson, hard to blame the dog when the child is unsupervised and in the dogs' space.

Let the dog live. But don't let your child develop a fear of dogs.

My little bugger nipped me on the face tonite, took me offguard. Went to pick him up, must have grabbed him wrong.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:43 PM

thanks for the replies guys, im gonna try to get my wife to drop the whole subject with her parents. in reality the dog should have been locked up and will be from here on out when we visit
Old 03-22-2015, 10:44 PM

Quote:
thanks for the replies guys, im gonna try to get my wife to drop the whole subject with her parents. in reality the dog should have been locked up and will be from here on out when we visit
Very logical solution.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:50 PM

Quote:
that's what I was thinking, don't really wanna push the issue though being that I have a really good relationship with my inlaws. luckily I have my wife to push the issue for me
Personally, I think that old dog did your son a huge favor in teaching him that lesson, even though some minor injury was done.

Maybe explain it to your wife this way ... Imagine if, your young son, in a different place and time, while you weren't looking and unknown to you, tried to kiss a stranger's pitbull.

Someone ought to give that old dog an extra treat tonight!

Mac
Old 03-22-2015, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post
Personally, I think that old dog did your son a huge favor in teaching him that lesson ... even though some minor injury was done.

Maybe explain it to your wife this way ... Imagine if, your young son, in a different place and time, while you weren't looking and unknown to you, tried to kiss a stranger's pitbull.

Someone ought to give that old dog an extra treat tonight!

Mac
this is very true
Old 03-22-2015, 10:52 PM

So..... How did the father in law ever come to the conclusion that this dog 'dosent like kids'?....
Has it bitten people before?

What exactly is going to happen when it bites another person?

Just wondering.
Only one solution for Mr. Bitey.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 03-22-2015, 10:55 PM

my father inlaw knows he doesn't like kids because my bastard nephew tormented him when he was young the dog took a big chunk out of his face,in that situation my nephew deserved it
Old 03-22-2015, 10:56 PM

Hope the little guy is okay physically and mentally.
Not the kid or dogs fault. Innocent child and dog not trained not to bite mans child
Put down the Inlaws. Enuff said.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 03-22-2015, 11:01 PM

Neither dog, nor child are to blame.

Adults to blame for not micromanaging situation better.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:06 PM

Can't believe what i am reading here .... oh wait a minute I keep forgetting, in the new millenium, dogs should always get the benefit of the doubt .After all they are our children right?
Pffft if it was my dog and that was my grandson . that dog would be in the ground so fast it wouldn't know what hit it.

Not to worry though I would never have a dog that was not child friendly . My grandchildren come first before any pet.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:07 PM

My children would not enter that home again until the dog was gone. You want to see grandkids? Get rid of the dog. End of story.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:09 PM

Quote:
my father inlaw knows he doesn't like kids because my bastard nephew tormented him when he was young the dog took a big chunk out of his face,in that situation my nephew deserved it
My previous reply, X2.

This falls squarely on the shoulders of you and your FIL.

Given the *KNOWN* history of the dog, it should have been confined during visits.

Shoot the dog, of course, if it makes you feel better.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Dog should have been locked up. Kid should have been supervised, so kill the dog?
The kid was under the direct supervision of the grandparent when it happened.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:15 PM

Regardless of anything, still attacked a child. Provoked, unprovoked, even though it sucks, doenst matter. Only one way to go. What happens if it gets out of the house one day and a neighbourhood kid tries to approach it and it does something worse? A good dog should never attack a child, no matter how much that child may provoke it.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:15 PM

Quote:
He's a repeat offender, put him down or it'll happen to another kid who may not be so lucky...
Old 03-22-2015, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post
Dead dog!
Why would you blame the dog for the fault of the humans...ridiculous responce......dogs should be outside anyway

Mack
Old 03-22-2015, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
Why would you blame the dog for the fault of the humans...ridiculous responce......dogs should be outside anyway

Mack
And when he's outside, takes off to the neighbours and bites their little toddler then what? If it was a first time thing sure give the dog the benefit of the doubt. But this dog has already responded twice with biting at the face of children. That is not acceptable behaviour, and will be repeated if the dog comes into contact with another child. I agree it's the owners fault as he didn't train the dog properly to begin with. Absolutely unacceptable to be biting kids.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45-70sapper View Post
Regardless of anything, still attacked.
Nope, big difference between a get away from me im scared/in pain/grumpy bite and "attack".
As i have said, no matter how fast things happen the dogs changes it body language beforehand showing its "feelings".
Dogs old/deaf, up to the owners to prevent this. They should of seen the signs before it bit.
Micromanage everything the dog does and let it live out its days in peace.