Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-24-2023, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
And my point is that you see things through a different set of eyes as we all do.
Politics will always play a factor in everything.
Sometimes things line up with what we like and sometimes not.
Point is that some may say the same about you and I being gullible on certain areas of politics, versions of public safety etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The point is 58...our good pal Elk11 is always right...no matter what you, or anyone else here says around here.

My earlier point was that he derailed the thread by bringing up firearms laws...again....which again morphed into other political gibberish, away from the subject at hand.

This is about raising the speeds to 120KPH, nothing else. Many have provided some very valid points/opinions on this topic, which I'm sure was appreciated by most...
Old 02-24-2023, 05:35 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
The point is 58...our good pal Elk11 is always right...no matter what you, or anyone else here says around here.

My earlier point was that he derailed the thread by bringing up firearms laws...again....which again morphed into other political gibberish, away from the subject at hand.

This is about raising the speeds to 120KPH, nothing else. Many have provided some very valid points/opinions on this topic, which I'm sure was appreciated by most...

Got me hook, line and sinker….

The speed limits are good as they are for the road conditions and population density we have in various areas.

Thx for keeping me on an even keel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-24-2023, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post

I hate to break it to you, but politics is a huge factor in all traffic legislation, including speed limits. The revenue from speeding tickets is a factor that will always be considered by politicians, before they would ever consider making any changes. And it's obvious that you seem to gravitate to my posts, to try and discredit me, because I dared to post actual instances where your allmighty RCMP have commited illegal acts, or have colluded with Trudeau in his corruption. I know, you just can't help yourself.
Old 02-24-2023, 05:55 PM

I have been travelling down hiway 16 at 130 km and been passed by the rcmp at what I estimate at 140. Yes, I am breaking the law but so are they. If they are not in hot pursuit of a bad guy or have been directed to a call, they are breaking the law more than me.
Old 02-24-2023, 06:33 PM

Some people have had bad and tragic experiences on the road. I’d be surprised if we haven’t all been personally impacted by something that’s happened “on the road”. Elk’s proxy of firearm legislation or use of the “emergencies act” is logical and can be applied to this instance. Should we just go ahead and ban all assault style cars because they’re capable of super speeds? They have the potential to go way over the speed limit non? This is all about the human factor. Do firearms incidents happen? Yes, but should we restrict EVERYONE or just harshly punish those that choose to do stupid things? Changing the speed limit to 120 isn’t outlandish. Are stupid people still gonna do stupid things? You can bet on it. Can the average Joe manage 120 safely? You bet. We’re not gonna fix people and the majority can at least live our lives a bit less constrained in a world that seems hell bent on furthering constraints.
Old 02-24-2023, 08:38 PM

Are you more likely to suffer serious injury or death at 120 vs 100? Think I posted something like this before on another thread. Distracted driving in conjunction with higher speeds = less reaction time. There are other factors involved as well. Reaction times change as you age for example.
There is a reason they say "speed kills".

Leave earlier and try and enjoy the drive!

The reasons for upping the speed limits are me me me related.

And gun control issue has nothing to do with this!

edit: A fair amount of people drive 10-15 over as it is and would likely still do that even if the speed limit was raised. Dont need that! Leave the speed limits where they are! Or maybe reduce them to appease the ones saying its all about the money from radar.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 02-24-2023 at 08:46 PM.
Old 02-25-2023, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post

The reasons for upping the speed limits are me me me related.:
-A lot of things in life can harm you & there’s irony in your “me me me” comment somewhere.

-Try driving the Coquihalla in BC. Who knows, you might even like it!
Old 02-25-2023, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I’d rather be outdoors View Post
-A lot of things in life can harm you & there’s irony in your “me me me” comment somewhere.

-Try driving the Coquihalla in BC. Who knows, you might even like it!
lol. The irony is strong
Old 02-25-2023, 10:01 AM

Most of the highways, and modern passenger vehicles, can support a higher speed limit.

Maybe not main arteries going through say Edmonton, or Calgary. But the #2 between them could be much higher.

You could lower the speed limits and that would have little affect on the majority of accidents.

I believe that a slower moving vehicle on a highway poses a much higher risk than a faster moving vehicle.

Also, do gooders that are blocking people from passing are doing nothing but expressing their road rage.

Most of the people passing you are not being unsafe. Stop being an idiot and move to the right. It's fine that you left early and are taking your time. Just keep putting along and stop trying to change the flow of traffic because you don't agree with it.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 02-25-2023, 12:33 PM

The myth of the fast lane

use the DRIVING lane for speeding use the PASSING lane for overtaking slower vehicles

Didn't anybody else take driver training?

https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/c163...gn-2006-12.pdf
Old 04-18-2023, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeroot View Post
I would be very opposed to this..

Take one drive down a alberta highway and just focus on the on coming driver.. Try to count how many of those driver's are on their cell phone.. You'll loose count after a short while.

Increasing speed limit to get to your desitnation a bit earlier? Not worth it.. I get if your driving fort mac to Calagry you'll get their signfiicantly eariler, but most of us on a highway are not driving it for 3-5 hours, just a short drive.. So in the end it won't matter much, except more accidents..

And besides, on 100km/hr highways, everyone goes 110-120 anyays.. Cops don't even flash lights when your doing 115 in a 100. So increasing it to 120 will mean most people will evnetually push that to 130-140.. We don't need that on our highways that are riddled with wild life and drivers on cell phones.
Nah, that's not how that works.
Are going insane.
Old 04-18-2023, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post

Yes, there is. Very similar to the reason why "they" say "guns kill"...

To push an agenda.

Speed doesn't kill, it's the sudden stop when accidents happen.

Old 04-18-2023, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
Did not see this discussed anywhere else so thought I would post it.

A UCP MLA has put forth a private members bill to increase the speed limit on some of the highways in Alberta to 120 kmph.

Personally I think it is long overdue on the twinned highways in the province. Vehicles today are light years ahead in handling and safety compared to vehicles even 20 years ago.

Still mulling over in my mind if they should maybe limit heavy vehicles to a lower speed say 100 or 110 kmph like some other jurisdictions do.

Should be an interesting debate as I know the Edmonton Police Chief was stating the Henday limit should be increased to 110 kmph a couple of years back.
Most heavy trucks have a hard time doing anything over 120kmh anyways, and a substantial amount are governed at less than 110kmh.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 04-18-2023, 01:51 PM

We should be like the Germans and remove speed limits on our major highways outside city limits.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 04-18-2023, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
We should be like the Germans and remove speed limits on our major highways outside city limits.
Yes, but they have TÜV too - which would route a good portion of our personal vehicles to the junkyard. Can't have old rattletraps rocketing along the #2 at 180 kph...
Old 04-18-2023, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Yes, but they have TÜV too - which would route a good portion of our personal vehicles to the junkyard. Can't have old rattletraps rocketing along the #2 at 180 kph...
If we could drive 180kmh I think people would be upgrading their cars a lot more. What’s the point of a fast car when you’re confined to 110kmh? Might as well get a Corolla.
Old 04-18-2023, 04:33 PM

Yeah, being able to drive faster makes a lot of sense.

400k at 110 kph will take 218 minutes.

400k at 120 kph will take only 200 min

One can do a lot with those 18 minutes.
Old 04-18-2023, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post

Probably spend 15 of those minutes ranting about the guy you are stuck behind who is only doing 110 kph.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 04-18-2023, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Most heavy trucks have a hard time doing anything over 120kmh anyways, and a substantial amount are governed at less than 110kmh.
Gave up my class 1 a few years ago but the laws kept our extended length trailers (triples and turnpike doubles) to 100 kph. Only allowed on divided highways where everyone else wants to go much faster.

So if we ended up pulling a B train, A train or even a single 53 footer one would think we could round trip much quicker. WRONG The insurance companies found out that if every tractor in the fleet (about 200) was limited to 100kph, accidents and insurance claims were way less. Hence to keep insurance premiums down we were forced to adjust the on board computers to limit maximum speed to 100. Bottom line was to lower running cost

Using all those extra axles should give a higher gross weight but the DOT still kept maximum gross weight to 63,500 kg about 140,000 pounds
Old 04-19-2023, 01:51 PM

I'd much rather see the QE2 expanded to 3 lanes (with dedicated 4th shoulder lanes for overpass merges etc) in each direction. Then increase the speed limit.

Should also implement a dynamic speed limit system in the winter, where weather dictates lowering the speed to 80 kph. Not every winter driver is...competent.
Old 04-19-2023, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty9 View Post
I'd much rather see the QE2 expanded to 3 lanes (with dedicated 4th shoulder lanes for overpass merges etc) in each direction. Then increase the speed limit.

Should also implement a dynamic speed limit system in the winter, where weather dictates lowering the speed to 80 kph. Not every winter driver is...competent.
Better to deal with the incompetent drivers, rather than drop the speed limit to accommodate them.
Old 04-19-2023, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Better to deal with the incompetent drivers, rather than drop the speed limit to accommodate them.
Problem is the worst drivers on the road think they are the best
Old 04-19-2023, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Problem is the worst drivers on the road think they are the best
It doesn't matter what they think, judge them based on their driving records. If they were found at fault for causing multiple accidents, they obviously are not safe drivers.
Old 04-19-2023, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post

What happen when you can do it at 200kmh?
Old 04-19-2023, 03:36 PM

40Kms. @ 100kph = 24 mins.
40Kms. @ 110kph = 21.8 mins.

And you get the prize for getting to the next traffic light first
Old 04-20-2023, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
40Kms. @ 100kph = 24 mins.
40Kms. @ 110kph = 21.8 mins.

And you get the prize for getting to the next traffic light first
Or you get the prize for facing a green traffic light instead of a red one. Or you get the prize for being ahead of a semi that rolls over and blocks Highway 1 thru a mountain pass rather than stuck behind it.

Driving is a dynamic environment with lots of variables.

That being said, I should be able to blast at 130kph down QEII during summer. VSL is the way to go. Shame nothing ever changes for the better here in this province.
Are going insane.
Old 04-20-2023, 07:33 AM

The thing is people don't drive the speed limit anyway, it's 110 and everyone is doing 120, if the speed limit was raised to 120 everyone would be doing 130, the shape our roads are in 130 is to fast for 80% of the drivers on the roads, you would have the weekend warriors pulling their 40' toy haulers at 130 doing the speed wobble.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 04-20-2023, 07:45 AM

Drive as fast as you want and take your chances. The government isn't going to change a thing besides maybe turning a few secondary highways that have sadly fallen beyond repair, back into high grade gravel roads that at least can be maintained with a grader now and then. At the cost of fuel these days, my 6.0 liter chevy 3/4 tons burn more fuel at high speed than the actual cost of a speeding ticket, when driving much above 110. To each and their own.
Old 04-20-2023, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
The thing is people don't drive the speed limit anyway, it's 110 and everyone is doing 120, if the speed limit was raised to 120 everyone would be doing 130, the shape our roads are in 130 is to fast for 80% of the drivers on the roads, you would have the weekend warriors pulling their 40' toy haulers at 130 doing the speed wobble.
From what I am seeing, many people drive the same speed, whether the limit is 100 or 110. Personally, I drive 100km when towing my boat, regardless of the speed limit, because the trailer tires are rated for 100. The biggest effect of raising the limit would be lost revenue in speeding fines, but that could easily be made up with more enforcement of cell phone use, and unsafe vehicles.
Old 04-20-2023, 08:17 AM

Quote:
What happen when you can do it at 200kmh?
To paraphrase Elon Musk: "...probably an unplanned rapid disassembly.." somewhere along the road.