Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 11-26-2012, 04:00 PM

Default Anyone fished the Crow lately??

Just winding up hunting season thinking of hitting the crow sometime. Wondering if anyone has been up there lately?
Old 11-26-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcclung View Post
Just winding up hunting season thinking of hitting the crow sometime. Wondering if anyone has been up there lately?
Was there a couple weeks ago and the week before that. Skunked both times. They are down deep right now, but by no means uncatchable.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:28 AM

Can someone confirm this. I heard that in winter the prefer to sit in somewhat moving water rather than stillwater as this saves them energy from chasing food as they take advantage of the conveyor belt strategy. Makes sense but kinda surprised me as I would have guessed they would be deep in the still water. Anyway, I probably won't make it to the crow till january so hopefully we have some warmer days still.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Can someone confirm this. I heard that in winter the prefer to sit in somewhat moving water rather than stillwater as this saves them energy from chasing food as they take advantage of the conveyor belt strategy. Makes sense but kinda surprised me as I would have guessed they would be deep in the still water. Anyway, I probably won't make it to the crow till january so hopefully we have some warmer days still.
I have seen both... Almost stepped on a whitefish in 1 feet of water last year..

For the most part though, they are in the big holes for winter.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
What the fish will really want is slow deep water, right next to faster water so there not fighting the current, but can move into fast water to grab food. many people will think the fish are in the faster water as there taking there fly in it, but there actually just moving from slow water to the fast water to eat
Old 11-27-2012, 03:13 PM

Default Yes and no

I've found that the temp spikes in the Pass will affect the fish.... causing feeds in fast water very actively.

I've seen hot midge emerger action in Dec and Feb a few times. Yes, you can dryfly the Crow in the winter and be sucessful.

Usually though, its 'deep seam' fishing.... find big holes and fish the seams.

Midge pattern, copper johns work nice.

Super slow steamers have given my buddy alot of success, but he's got immense patience.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."