Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-30-2013, 03:22 PM

Default How To istall A String Whisker Silencer!

HOW TO INSTALL STRING WHISKERS

*insert...was asked for an update on this and with pictures as old pictures were nuked..

Neil

Hey folks, I have seen a lot of questions lately on whisker type string silencers, do they work, how to tie them, where to tie them etc, so I will try to answer some of those questions.

Whisker type silencers are not for everyone, you won’t see them on most target or 3D shooters bows, and/or on the “Speed Freak” hunter bows either

The reason being is they will cause a few feet per second loss… do they work well enough-to compensate for speed loss?...all my personal bows will always wear them, however I am into power hunting, where silence over weighs a couple feet per second any day.

Also most bows can be “tweaked” also to make up that few feet per second loss easily, so you lose nothing and gain stealth.

There are other types of string silencers on the market, however they have the same speed loss and break very quickly.

Mathews Bows for example are already extreme quite with their built in string suppressor system, grub, Monkey Tails, etc however with a set of whiskers a shooter will hear an extreme difference again …..Pure stealth.

If you think you don’t need them, try them, then decide.

The whiskers I have in stock are custom made and hands down are the best in the archery industry; they are designed with strength for today’s modern fast bows.

The older type whiskers on the market start breaking in little as a dozen shots; where as these Whiskers will last the lifetime of the string, they are tuff and durable.

The whiskers sold by most companies if you can find them usually come in only Black, I had mine done for the shop in bulk custom colors, black, green, brown and gray.

When bought by the package most will come by the pair approx 5 inches long, I sell two pair per pack and use two pair for my whiskers, I cut the 5 inch in half and use four 2 inch strips for each of my whiskers.

1-2-3 or 4 strips may be used, the more you use the more effective they are and complete a fuller whisker.

The whisker will sit approx 2 “ from top cam/Idler wheel and 3 “ from bottom Cam, with the shorter bows the whiskers need to sit higher which allows a clear sight pin view without obstruction, longer ATA bows can be set lower, just make sure a clear view of sights is clear at full draw.

The further away from the Cam/Idler the quieter, however one doesn’t want them too far toward center as that will add to speed loss, on Mathews We remove the “Grub” @ 33 Gr and add Whiskers @ 33Gr…no speed loss.

Many bows come served near idler wheel or top cam, If the serving is not long enough I suggest serving string where Whiskers will sit to prevent wear on string with today’s fast bows…almost all bottom strings near cams due to dead stops and are served plenty long enough.
We now only use a material called “Super Tack” to tie on the whiskers it is a 3/32 flat nylon cord that is waxed…It reminds me of sinew…
This is the black we have and also use the white..
It is very strong…up to 100 lbs strength… It is used a lot in furniture repair shops and Parachute equipment..
I used it for taxidermy...stitching up cape cut on the deer hide when mounting…
The amazing factor is it ties easy and really cinches up with the “Constrictor knot”...best point is it “tacks” or sticks its self to its self for a knot that will never loosen up…and the cut end can still be melted to each other…
With this material tie the “Constrictor knot”.. one more simple knot to finish and melt, the white can be colored any color with a permanent marker.
Caution* It is suggested to use leather gloves to tighten knot severely.
I have measurements for certain bows on different bow squares, …measure and mark string on serving…This is where your tied in whisker “stop” will seat and prevent whisker from moving downward when shooting, elsewhere they suggest a drop of Super Glue on string and slide the whisker into place, believe it or not I don’t suggest it.

Tie onto marked serving using a “Constrictor knot”, a knot I use constantly in my Wilderness Survival Courses and other wilderness adventures… best and strongest outdoors knot going.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constrictor_knot

Finish Constrictor knot with a over hand knot and cut just under a 1/4 and with a butane lighter melt ends together and push into main knot body to form a melted locked knot.

Warning* Do not allow flame near string or allow knot material to burn close to string.
Fold Whiskers flat wise over string and use trusty plastic clothes pin to hold whisker on string

Tie whiskers on using constrictor knot and finish with the overhand knot cut and melt end as in tied stop.

Caution* It is suggested to use leather gloves to tighten knot severely again.

I have a ¾ and 7/8 inch mark drawn on my clothes pin, I use it to mark ends of whiskers to be cut-from center to both ends.

Then cut whiskers with sharp scissors

Then fluff whisker out by pulling on whiskers, most can be separated quickly just by pulling on both ends, whiskers will fluff even more after several shots.

Use scissors to trim to desired size and even out, some may like the whisker that size or even trimmed down smaller, pending on the bow I like mine 1 ¼ to 1 ½ inch ball.

End results will be a trouble free whisker with many cobinations of colors that will last the life of the string, and considerably lower the bows noise that much more. And HEY they look good, make you look like a hunter not a gull-darn paper shooter ha ha.

Sorry about the quality of the pics-done them quickly by myself while installing a set of whiskers.

Neil

Last edited by L.O.S.T.Arrow; 07-30-2013 at 03:35 PM.